Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMLancelot

Zelda Total Conversion For DOOM 2

So rather then actually learn how to do this stuff like the rest of us, you'd rather sit back and watch other people do it for you while you "contribute" to the project by downloading a bunch of midis and MP3s to add to the wad?

I'm not just going to do that. I'm going to try learning some stuff and Impboy could probably help me get started.

OK let me say something different then: It will be a super awesome mega mod that people will want to play a lot!

Yeah, that sounds so much better! :D I'm sure everyone is going to help you now!

=D

Doom: Rampage Edition.

Yeah, I said it. I totally went there.

Edit: Doing this mod for Heretic/Hexen is a no-brainer, and just the fact that the author refuses to do so is pretty hilarious.

what about to make a Hexen mod instead a Zelda Tc? :-P

DOOMLancelot said:

Like I said, I like DOOM better. Enough about the Heretic and Hexen stuff. DOOM is what I choose and so be it.

Most of the resources you would require would be there for you with Hexen or Heretic. Judging by the "resources" you have now, I think you need all the help you can get. Oh and by the way. HEXEN IS COMPATABLE WITH ZDOOM.
Normally I'd point out that the format for Doom wads with all the fancy ACS scripts and Decorate and Zdoomish effects is Doom in HEXEN format, but something tells me you don't even know how to install a map making program.

Well, there weren't any "copy and paste" jobs done at all.

Oh I'm terribly sorry! I just saw the hacked up Doom marine with the imp arms who looked like something out of Deathz0r Online: The Internet Made Stupid. Then I looked at the picture of the Doom marine with the zelda sword and shield slapped onto him. Seeing as I could still see his gun, I figured that all your "spriter" did was copy and paste the sword and shield sprites over his arms. <_<

You guys better check his web site out of the annoying design, photos, and music, there are two funny videos that you'll enjoy looking at. I'm surprised that the author of these videos (???) has this kind of problems with a DOOM mod (yeah you have problems, sorry).

You could try learning how to make a basic WAD before jumping right into a super awesome mega mod with zero experience.

DOOMLancelot said:

Well, there weren't any "copy and paste" jobs done at all.

lol?

Big thanks to Janitor for joining my project. I'm sure your scripting skills will be very appreciated in this project. :D One other thing: Why is it that I run into a bunch of jerks/assholes everywhere I go? I'm just trying to get people. There's no need for the jerkness/assholeness. If you wanna complain about the sprites, then please file a complaint card to ShadowS9463 or just shove it up your ass. Thank you! The skin is a WORK IN PROGRESS, idiots!

i'll tell you why:

YOU are being a jerk. you are hopping onto a forum full of veterans and acting like you know what you're talking about (when it is obvious you don't) and insinuating that they have no idea what they are talking about.

i understand that this project excites you, that you want nothing more than to play zelda in first-person in the DooM engine, but if you really wanted this then you would listen to what these, infinately more experienced, individuals have to say.
there have been many projects over the years that we all have followed from conception to death, projects that showed a lot more potential than this one (sorry, but it's true)but died anyway.
if you really want to get this thing off the ground and get it eventually finished,
a) immerse yourself in DooM editing and learn how to do some things yourself so you don't have to rely on others
b) don't insult anybody who can get this thing off the ground for you

that's it. either listen or don't, i don't care at all.

Ok I'm sorry for hopping onto the forums with this project. The excitement just really gets to me and it's just hard for me not to let it. This is just something that I really want so bad and yes I will try to learn some things about editing. I just need to find the time to do so. Again, sorry for everything.

DOOMLancelot said:

Again, sorry for everything.

Don't worry about apologizing, just do what you want to do, make what you would love to play, etc. I for one am another person who is leading a super-ambitious project, and at this point 90% of the work is done solely by me. I get just as excited about it when I brainstorm what will be in it, where it will go etc.

Once you pick up more skills in creating this, you will start to have a small bit of the TC that you can show off. THEN, you will have a lot more ease in the recruitment process.

I actually find that coordinating with a team for a Doom mod can be quite a hassle; at times you might find that working on your own is the best option even for truly ambitious projects, as it allows you to keep the creative vision exactly as you wanted it, and you never have to rely on people. That being said, there are also times when outsourcing certain parts of the mod to other talented people can be not only convenient but also essential to a mod's success.

Best of luck - this TC is something I would play. Even if you only end up with a short beta test of the TC in the end, it will still be something worth checking out.

Yeah Nick is right, if you want this go ahead. I'm sorry if you understood my comments (recomending Hexen) as critics, believe me it wasn't my intention.
At the moment I recomend you to just use dehacked and make a mod for your own enjoyment, without replacing monster sprites, perhaps replacing all the weapons with the fist (but diferent attack, like shooting projectiles, and such), or play in third person. Replace the monster behavior with this tool (dehacked), and make your maps, simple in architecture, just for your enjoyment. This may sound poor for somebody, but you can have a lot of fun. You don't need to upload things and satisfy everyone.
Dehacked is a simple tool, yet has many tricks to discover, but you'll be fine if you read a bit the tutorials, and take your time. Of course you can ask all you need in the editing forum.

If dehacked sounds too complex, you could make Heretic maps inspired in the Zelda games and imagine your playing Zelda. Map for Heretic is as easy as maping for DOOM.

I am using my infinite scripting power to help this guy, and get him off to a good start.

BTW. Anyone else need any Decorate Scripts?

DOOMLancelot, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Can't beleive that wasn't done already

It might have had something to do with the fact that he had ALREADY learned this valuable lesson before you bumped this topic....

deathbringer said:

DOOMLancelot, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Look on page 1.

Hi DOOMlancelot. I know you from youtube. im one of your subscribers (bradthecyberdemon) rofl. Anyway First of all Janitor i could use a decorate scripter in a wad project im doing. And second, a zeldaTC? sounds good but a little bit advanced for me. Sorry until i can use decorate (properly without getting damage type "BURN" in my scripting) i cant help, but if i learn how to use new things in doombuilder, i can possibly help you out. Good luck with this very ambitious project. Hope to see it pass the test lol :D

DOOMLancelot said:

Skin with sword and shield(incomplete):
[IMAGE]

That is one hell of a big sword!
Don't use many hitscan weapons though!
Maybe for a fire/ice wand, but...
WAIT!!!
That's an awesome idea!
for ammo

MAGIC
BOMBS
ARROWS
OTHERCRAPTHATICANNOTTHINKOFRIGHTNOW

the iron hitman said:

Hi DOOMlancelot. I know you from youtube. im one of your subscribers (bradthecyberdemon) rofl. Anyway First of all Janitor i could use a decorate scripter in a wad project im doing. And second, a zeldaTC? sounds good but a little bit advanced for me. Sorry until i can use decorate (properly without getting damage type "BURN" in my scripting) i cant help, but if i learn how to use new things in doombuilder, i can possibly help you out. Good luck with this very ambitious project. Hope to see it pass the test lol :D

Let the dead threads rest. Please.

I think it'd be awesome to play an exact conversion of the original zelda 1 from a 1st person perspective. The dungeons would be easy/ every room has the same dimensions/ceiling height. As long as you have a map of the original it'd be straight forward to duplicate it in an editor. Actually now that I think about it, the dungeons would retain the zelda feel because each room is obviously seperated by a doorway (each room is a seperate screen in zelda). But the outside world just be a big single area with no obvious distinction between one zelda style 'screen' to another (unless you did something simple like a checkerboard type thing where every other screen area is a step of 8 pixels higher). Making it so enemies randomly leave hearts/bombs/etc and changing guns to a sword (that can only shoot lasers with full life) would be harder.

gggmork said:

Making it so enemies randomly leave hearts/bombs/etc and changing guns to a sword (that can only shoot lasers with full life) would be harder.

The laser sword thing would not be all that hard actually!

Just use decorate and have an A_JumpifInventory("Health" >= 100) and have two different attack patterns.

(Was the syntax on that command correct?)

The random item drop however may be harder. I guess you could just have it like OOT and have every enemy drop a specific item (like the parhana flowers drop deku sticks). And then have "Grass" which drops random items when cut. (Death animation then random state jump to turn into an item)

Bank said:

This is a terrible idea.

stfu, I've seen plenty of bad ideas made very well to the point where it was actually fun. The only thing we have yet to see, is the talent of the group that is supposed to be making this. (aside from that hackjob spritesheet)

Believe it or not, this project is not dead. I'm still waiting on people to join. But most of you are being assholes so what's the point of asking here?

DOOMLancelot said:

Believe it or not, this project is not dead. I'm still waiting on people to join. But most of you are being assholes so what's the point of asking here?

The tag still exists! yay. Seriously though why was this thread bumped?

I already showed what I had. And those were done by a friend of mine. I can try mapping a dungeon map but that'd be pretty much all I could do because I suck at lot of stuff. This is why I need people. People who know how to do things better than me(because I can hardly do anything!). Your choice I guess....join or don't join.

DOOMLancelot said:

(because I can hardly do anything!).

not even 'original from scratch remixes' from changing midi instruments and rendering it from M$ Synth to mp3 and submitting it on remix sites?

DOOMLancelot said:

This is why I need people. People who know how to do things better than me(because I can hardly do anything!). Your choice I guess....join or don't join.

So wait... you want people to join your team, where you are the manager, the creative designer, the project leader, and they just all do the work for you according to your own specific plan of what the mod should be like? That will never work, and I don't say this to be an asshole. The logic is there in itself! Everyone has their own creative vision, and listening to some guy who isn't putting any work in won't last long!

To succeed here, you need to learn to master at least ONE important aspect of the total conversion. Whether it be sprites, textures, code (anything from Dehacked to DECORATE), sounds, music, or maps, get GOOD, or at least COMPETENT, at one of these things. Then you might be able to SHARE the workload with someone else who thinks the project idea is cool. If not, you can do it what I do now - can't always rely on a team or other people, so I've learned to do EVERYTHING myself. I'm a one-man team.... but my mapping could use some improvement!

Anyway, I have my doubts that people are still interested in the novelty of adaptation-style mods, that is to say mods that take other games and put them in Doom. That was all the range in the 90's, but these days it's all about hardcore, professional, original ideas. This isn't saying that no one will like your mod. Tons of people will. It's just saying that less people will be likely to help you out.

Good luck.