Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Splynncryth

chosing a base source port

My goal is to do an EFI port of Doom that runs under the EFI shell. I am just trying to do a basic port, nothing fancy, this is more of a can it be done project.
What I would like is a port as close to what I have in EFI as possible. EFI uses uses a software API, not direct hardware access.
If anyone is curious, I should be able to use the EFI simple text in protocol for keyboard access, EFI simple pointer protocol for mouse support, the UGA protocol for video, the FAT32 driver for file access, and various other EFI boot and runtime services for other stuff.

I was hoping for something where this stuff was consoladated in such a way that I can do my porting making the minimum number of changes. I was hoping someone familar with the available source ports might be able to point me towards something to start hacking away with?

PrBoom or Chocolate Doom would provide you with a portable base that you could use to get something up and running fairly easily.

I might also note that if you use PrBoom, remember to use the official version; PrBoom+ is not as portable (it doesn't even work in Linux anymore).

MikeRS said:

I might also note that if you use PrBoom, remember to use the official version; PrBoom+ is not as portable (it doesn't even work in Linux anymore).

really? :)

I could never get 2.4.8.1 to work on my linux machine out of the box. Havent tried 2.4.8.2

Thanks, I'll take a look at those.
Another concern is being able to turn off the 'fancy effects'. The UGA protocol does not provide for any sort of direct hardware access, and due to a lack of a naitive UGA driver on the platform I can do my development on, it will be using a driver that uses VESA to fake it.
So my goal is just to duplicate the original Doom experience.

Splynncryth said:

So my goal is just to duplicate the original Doom experience.

Well then, Chocolate Doom would be perfect for you. :) There any no "fancy effects" to turn off in Chocolate.

Hobbs said:

I could never get 2.4.8.1 to work on my linux machine out of the box. Havent tried 2.4.8.2

The latest non-windows release is 2.4.6.1. (tar.gz and dmg)