Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jobro

WAD files and Delphi

is there some whay to handle wad files from within programs written in Borland Delphi?

That question is way too generic to give you a good answer.

What are you trying to do and what do you need?
Of course you can write code in Delphi to handle WAD files but I doubt this answer will help you.

One word: XWE.

That's written in Delphi, and handles WAD files. However Csabo must have written his own parsing procedures and data structures (header, lump etc.), I don't think he just dragged something and gained WAD support just like that.

You probably asked if there was some ready component that could do that for you...unfortunately not. So you should really start your editor/whatever from the ground up (not a bad idea, especially if you want some experience), or start bugging Csabo :-p

I was thinking about components yes. What I was intrested in was to be able to save soundfiles into wads + add sndinfo lumps aswell. Just that.

Ask Csabo if he can write a generic WAD parsing/loading component, but that depend a lot on how XWE itself is written. BTW, are you sure that what you want to do cannot be done by *any* existing editors, such as XWE or WinTex?

After all, it's all about adding/managing lumps, nothing else, and single-focus tools like e.g. DMAUD which only handled a specific kind of lump quickly fell out of favour, for more generic-use tool. That makes sense, since from a programmer's point of view it almost takes the same effort to write a series of WAD handling routines that can be used for any lump operation, as to write some apparently "restricted" ones.

Will check them out.

I'm working on a SNDINFO editor, a simple sound editor that converts the wav file to the correct samplerate etc. This can be done by other editors but I think it would be a nice asset to be able to do it all in one place.