Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Doom3 Mod, Quake: Shambler's Castle Released!

That's right, after about one and a half years of work, the Quake in Doom 3 mod "Shambler's Castle" has been released.

The mod, which is made by a small team of Quake enthusiasts, features a lot of new material, such as several of the Quake monsters completely redone in the Doom 3 engine by Obihb, as well as weapons and a purple sky.

Download it here. Or, check out the release thread here. For screenshots and a video teaser (last page) check out the development thread here.

Quake in Doom 3? /drools

Thanks for the heads up man.

Kinda sucks. Muscly shambler? Come on. "Rockin soundtrack"? WTF have they even owned a copy of Quake to know what it is?

Dissapointing. Then again it's the Doom3 community, so.....

JoelMurdoch said:

Quake in Doom 3? /drools

I seem to remember something like this... let me think, oh yeah, it's called Quake 4 :P

MikeRS said:

I seem to remember something like this... let me think, oh yeah, it's called Quake 4 :P

Oh dear. Quake 4 is the sequel to Quake 2, which was not a proper sequel to Quake and did not even remotely resemble it or feel like it.

Aleaver said:

I can't even open the .zip file..It says it's corrupted. I have no idea whats wrong.

Use WinRar, seems like WinZip is giving people shit with the archive.

I can't say I like the music either, And the sound effects aren't as good as in Quake. But, it's not a bad mod in it's own rights. :)

it's bad enough to really fuck up the shambler like easily taking rocket damage and firing PLASMA BALLS.

I realize they made new models and stuff, but still... One and a half years for one level? Is this the future of user-made mods?

david_a said:

One and a half years for one level? Is this the future of user-made mods?

I don't see how you're complaining. RTC took 4 years for just the first hub. The Quake mod replaced almost everything, textures, monsters, weapons.

This wasn't effective work, since the main guy (HeXum) also works as a level designer professionally, he doesn't really have that big of an urge to work on these things when he get home aswell.

This is by all means a side project for all the people involved.

Awesome. My faith in doom 3 mods is slowly rising.

I realize they made new models and stuff, but still... One and a half years for one level? Is this the future of user-made mods?

It depends. With new game engines, the expectation to deliver industry-like content has become the norm so its almost expected that any reasonable project takes a while. Given the team size was 3 people strong, it visually delivers.

Very, very cool stuff, that's all I can say! I think this level deserves some respect and it's got mine!

It was pretty good. The art aspects and the mapping were really good compared to your average map, and the new models matched that quality.

The downsides IMO was the music, which got old and never changed to another tune, and a lot of the new SFX felt like they were fillers in a beta (like the shotgun sounds). The Shambler was a really big dissapointment, considering that I thought I was fighting a Hell Knight when I first saw it. Also it needs a few more tweaks like making the fiend enemy jump a lot more.

A really good 10min map deserving at least one playthrough; I hope more maps match or pass its overall quality.

I appreciate you posting this Kristus, even if this seems to be a hard crowd. ;)

Thanks to all who enjoyed it.

I'm not a fan of mods where I get less than one frame every five seconds, so I won't be on this anytime soon.

kristus said:

Use WinRar, seems like WinZip is giving people shit with the archive.

Yep that did it..Thanks for the tip.

I think its great. Looks real good..and game play is not bad either. IMO...Works fine on my Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS OC

GGG said:

I'm not a fan of mods where I get less than one frame every five seconds, so I won't be on this anytime soon.

Maybe you need to upgrade your pentium 2 processor and get at least an AMD64?

If I had a Pentium 2 processor, I most certainly would. As it is, it's a Pentium 4 and an NVIDIA 64 meg card.

mustafa saed said:

Maybe you need to upgrade your pentium 2 processor and get at least an AMD64?

It's giving me shit with my nvidia 7800 too with 512 MB vid memory and 4 GB RAM.

ignored.

Csonicgo said:

It's giving me shit with my nvidia 7800 too with 512 MB vid memory and 4 GB RAM.

ignored.

Hmmm..I have a nvidia 7800 (overclocked) with only 256 megs of Vid memory and only GIG of system memory, and it runs fine on my system..Whats the speed of your processor? I have a p4 3.0 Ghz

leileilol said:

Kinda sucks. Muscly shambler? Come on. "Rockin soundtrack"? WTF have they even owned a copy of Quake to know what it is?

Dissapointing. Then again it's the Doom3 community, so.....

You have absolutely zero room to talk about quality in a total conversion. Zero. None. Not one iota.

Great stuff, I really enjoyed playing through this map.
My only complaints are;

1.The Shambler was rather disappointing as already was said. It always was my favorite Quake enemy and the new model doesn't do it's original look justice. The behavior, especially the attacks didn't remind me of the real Shambler either!
2.I hate the fact, that my way backwards was permanently blocked by grates and fences. The map layout was really good and quite non-linear, so why destroying this by making already visited areas inacessable?
I think the purpose of this was to make the fights immediately behind those blocked entrances harder, but why did the grates not open after these fights again?

All in all it was a very nice mod though and I hope to see more of this quality in the future!

Aleaver said:

Hmmm..I have a nvidia 7800 (overclocked) with only 256 megs of Vid memory and only GIG of system memory, and it runs fine on my system..Whats the speed of your processor? I have a p4 3.0 Ghz

I figured out what it was, my card had PowerMizer activated. I thought I turned that off...

it now runs at 60 fps. Talk about an improvement!

Csonicgo said:

I figured out what it was, my card had PowerMizer activated. I thought I turned that off...

it now runs at 60 fps. Talk about an improvement!

Ah I see..Good to hear..I was like how could it not run well with your nvidia card when it runs well with mine...