Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Scet

Doom like game requires help(programming almost done)

Hi all, I'm currently working on a single player top-down shooter named Escalation which aims to be similar to Doom in gameplay. I've gotten most of the gameplay related code done and so I'm looking for people to make models, sounds effects, music and levels.

Also I'm using C# with Mono and Tao so it should work on most modern operating systems.

Here's the latest screenshot:

(models are temporary and for testing only)

Levels are in Hexen format and if people want to join the project I can send you the Doom Builder config file. Although most of the THINGS are missing since there aren't any models.

The game uses MD2 models, but I own a copy of Milkshape 3D so I can do the file conversions if someone wants to use something else.

I'm also using FreeDoom for textures right now. It is OK to use the art from FreeDoom right?

Please help out so I don't have to resort to my own crappy programmer art

Scet said:

The game uses MD2 models, but I own a copy of Milkshape 3D so I can do the file conversions if someone wants to use something else.

There's other programs that are free and do the same thing though.

Scet said:

I'm also using FreeDoom for textures right now. It is OK to use the art from FreeDoom right?

Yes, just make sure that it's credited.

Anyway, it looks intresting. I am personally not a fan of MD2, since it's pretty shitty IMO. (although not nearly as shitty as MDL, but much more shitty than MD3). MDL and MD2 are two formats where you can watch your hard work get mangled by rough morphing.

But I digress, since this is a topdown view thingy, I'm sure that it's not very apparent anyway.

kristus said:

Yes, just make sure that it's credited.

Well of course, I would never claim something was mine if it wasn't.

kristus said:

But I digress, since this is a topdown view thingy, I'm sure that it's not very apparent anyway.

Yes when viewed in an editor they are jerky, but you don't notice it in game since they're so small. Plus I can use linear interpolation in-game if people think they are jerky.

Since we're on the topic of modelling, I would be willing to do the animation if people could make models and textures. I'm no artist and unfortunately lack the talent to do this.

I completed most of the programming first because I thought people would want to join a project that they at least knew had a damn good chance of being finished, but I've yet to find anyone :(

I don't think that would be a good idea due to legal issues. The game does not require a commercial IWAD to run, so I doubt I can use Doom monsters,items,etc.

I don't see why - the model pack isn't part of the Doom IWAD and you have mancubus's from Doom in the screenshot.

The game is looking good either way.

The monsters are copyright of id though. I'm no lawyer, maybe someone else can comment on the legal issues surrounding the model pack. I'd love to be able to use it since it would instantly complete the games content, but again I doubt it's possible.

The only reason the mancubus is in the shots is for testing(plus it looks cool).

The game is looking good either way.

Thanks.