Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sinyx

Wow what did I do wrong?

I released my wad and when I was editing it it was fine. I was able to put custom music in it and I was using the Mortres.wad texture wad for additional textures. Unfortunately the textures I used aren't there and some are replaced with a blue and red checker design.

Anyone have any idea what i did wrong?

uhhhhhh come again? I thought I only had to put my in there not the texture wads too. I have never downloaded a wad and gotten the texture wads too.

uh...what?

when editing with one or more wads, you have to make sure all the resources work with only the one wad BEFORE releasing it. This means, if your using a BAT file, remove the extra resource wads to see if it works. Or if its Zdoom, only drag and drop the main wad onto the EXE.

AFAIK no map editors that can reference multiple wads for resources, save those resources into the main map wad you are editing.

(did that make any sence)

Ok so I have my wad file, am I supposed to save the texture wad into it? or do I save it into the zip file. Please tell me step by step as I am really confused on all this. Please and Thank you.

Just import the textures you need into the WAD you're going to distribute. However, since textures are really made from "patches", you will have to import the patches first and then reconstruct each texture one by one.

Distributing an external WAD just for textures is a bit 1994-ish, if you know what I'm saying. There are also "WAD merging" tools to make that job a bit easier.

As an option, if you don't want to deal with importing the graphics you can just have everyone load the mortres wad with it to play the map. You can Point to Sam's page in your text file so anyone that doesn't have the graphic wad can just go get it and load it themselves. Many people already have that graphic wad on their systems. Sam's maps are both excellent and well known.

I have figured out what the problem is but I still am having trouble solving it.

My problem was what you guys said I didn't have the texture wad installed right. And the whole red and blue missing texture thing was actually the game telling me that I had textures where flats should be and vice versa. Doom Builder now for some reason just gives you flats and textures together so you can place them where ever you want. When I went back in there and changed it all around the map still had textures missing and misplaced even though I did run the server with the texture wad. Is it the map or am I still just not doing this right?

Also when I went into XWE to add patches and such to my map like you said to, but it wont let me copy and paste the MORTRES flats and textures into my map, when I go to paste after copying I get a message saying there is nothing to paste. How do I rename the like 20 textures I need to be in my map or more over how do I do this correctly. Thank you for all the help so far.

Surely You could Just open your Map .wad using XWE, and then Merge the texture .wad with it...?

Wow Icarus got it! THANK YOU SO MUCH! That actually does work and is a lot easier than custom loading each texture.