Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Hassle inherited from Boom

When you have only one shell (ammo unit) and kill a sergeant (ammo totter) with it, if you pick up his shotgun (dropped ammo), your weapon is going to switch nevertheless, unlike Doom's behaviour which checked your inventory immediately before doing so. This was introduced in Boom. This can hurt in gameplay.
EDIT: Can this be fixed?

If this is a Boom problem, are any other Boom-based ports affected? Or have they fixed it already? It would be greatly helpful to me to know.

Quasar said:
It would be greatly helpful to me to know.

Haven't checked (I'm AFD currently), but PrBoom's behavior should depend on the compatibility level (with that quirk in Boom level, and maybe MBF level, if it didn't fix it). If that's not the case it should be fixed. In my opinion, Doom's normal behavior should make sense in Eternity (or also PrBoom's default behavior), unless you want to add a compatibility option (but an exception or differentiation for demo playback will be necessary anyway, when playing Boom recordings, if they are fully supported).

Actually the monster is irrelevant. It's only about using up all the ammo, immediately picking up replenishment (whatever), then whether the weapon would switch (BOOM) or stay (DOOM). I think it should stay because it's for the better of the marine.

Also note that demos aren't affected by this change...

Heh, AFD = All For Doom?

printz said:
Heh, AFD = All For Doom?

Away from DOOM (as in AFK). Now I'm back, though.

Well see I'm really lazy. I'd prefer for you to find out whether or not PrBoom is unaffected by this. If it is, I can then look at their source and find the fix for it. If it's still affected, I can go to #doom-tech and discuss it.

Otherwise I have to waste my time testing the port and/or searching through a few thousand lines of code for a fix that might not be there, and I don't want to do either right now :)

Well, PrBoom is affected (just like Boom), but in ZDoom the weapon stays.