Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bour Fy

[DoomBuilder] ACS gives me an error when trying to create actor

Hi ppl, I'm new here and just started to make my own ZDoom map (Doom in Hexen format) and got immediatelly problems when trying to create new decorations and monsters. Here's what my script looks like and what error the compiler gives to me when I try to compile it:

actor ZombieMan 3004
{
  spawnid 4
  obituary "%o was killed by a zombieman."
  health 20
  radius 20
  height 56
  mass 100
  speed 8
  painchance 200
  seesound "grunt/sight"
  attacksound "grunt/attack"
  painsound "grunt/pain"
  deathsound "grunt/death"
  activesound "grunt/active"
  dropitem "Clip" 256
  MONSTER
  +FLOORCLIP
  states
  {
  Spawn:
    POSS AB 10 A_Look
    loop
  See:
    POSS AABBCCDD 4 A_Chase
    loop
  Missile:
    POSS E 10 A_FaceTarget
    POSS F 8 A_PosAttack
    POSS E 8
    goto See
  Pain:
    POSS G 3
    POSS G 3 A_Pain
    goto See
  Death:
    POSS H 5
    POSS I 5 A_Scream
    POSS J 5 A_NoBlocking
    POSS K 5
    POSS L -1
    stop
  XDeath:
    POSS M 5
    POSS N 5 A_XScream
    POSS O 5 A_NoBlocking
    POSS PQRST 5
    POSS U -1
    stop
  Raise:
    POSS KJIH 5
    goto See
  }
}
As you can see, it's directly from
http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_new_monsters_or_other_complex_items and I think it SHOULD work, but for me, it isn't. Here's the error it gives me when trying to compile:

Line 8 in file "script.acs" ...
 script.acs:8: Invalid declarator.
 > actor 
 >     ^

The ACS compiler did not compile your script.

I also tried to add the line "#include "zcommon.acs"" at the beginning of the script with no good result.

So the million dollars question goes like this: WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE?

Glassyman said:

You have to copy it in DECORATE lump NOT in the DB scripts section!

Umm explain a bit? I thought the scripting could be done by going to the "Script > Edit BEHAVIOR lump..." in Doom Builder, and if that's not the way to do it, then what is?

You need something like xwe to make an decorate entry and drop that stuff in there.Just open your zdoom map in xwe click entry new and type DECORATE and paste your actor stuff in there.

Bour Fy said:

I thought the scripting could be done by going to the "Script > Edit BEHAVIOR lump..." in Doom Builder

Correct. But this is the method to write scripts(behaviour of the map) not actors (new enemies, weapons, etc.).
Here are instructions to create the DECORATE lump. But first you must download this tool.

Bour Fy said:

Umm explain a bit? I thought the scripting could be done by going to the "Script > Edit BEHAVIOR lump..." in Doom Builder, and if that's not the way to do it, then what is?

ACS is for level scripting. Not making new monsters. To modify exsisting monsters you need to make a dehacked lump and to make new ones you need to make a decorate lump.

Thanks ppl, that helped alot. Didn't know about all these different lumps till now..

Okay, so now I managed to get this work so that the name of the sprite shows now under the decorations-category in the Things-menu in Doom Builder, but it doesn't show the actual image, only it's name. I'm guessing that the imageformat I'm using is wrong somehow.

What size etc should the source image (for a decor, for example) be? 64x64 pixels, bmp or png, what kind of color-system etc?

I wouldn't worry about something as trivial as the in-editor image for your thing. Just insert it and go. You can always tell what they are by hovering over them in your editor. Does the thing actually work when you run the game?