Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Apples to oranges? I'm comparing sound frequencies to sound frequencies. Now unless there is another method of interpreting vibrations that I am unaware of, I'll keep comparing.

did you just read those 3 words or did you even bother to read the rest? I have the feeling that you may be a tad ignorant...I dont even feel like repeating myself since the answer is plain and clear on the last post of the page before this one...

You can call this a victory for yourself if you want, because I'm going to bed.

But I must warn you, in doing so you'll just make yourself look like a dumbass...

Nice way to poison the well there, but MP3 is a lossy compression rate and that is why its highest rate is 320kb/s. It trims off enough data from 1411.2kb/s to bring it down to 320kb/s. It is irrefutable fact that it cannot and will not sound the same as a cd, ever. Move on, use a better format.

Steeveeo said:

So WHAT if 320 kbps MP3s are not the same as 1411.2 kbps Wavs?! They sound the exact same!

No they don't you moron. A mp3 by definition cannot be 'cd quality'. Now shut up before you look even more retarded.

Steeveeo, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Quit hurting my brain with your mindless rambling :P

Run an mp3 set at 320kb through a set of studio monitors, now play the cd of the exact same track. There's a difference. Usually lacking in the low, low end on the mp3. To the average listener, 128 would pass for cd quality though. It doesn't really matter that much at the end of the day, I don't think the average mp3 hoarder could care less if his/her torrented White Album sounds anything like the CD or vinyl for that matter.

To my ears, a properly-encoded 128kbps mp3 usually sounds the same as the original CD. To many other peoples' ears, the difference will be obvious. An mp3 at any quality is not the same as the source audio, but in many situations, full CD-quality audio would be overkill.

Does a 128kbps mp3 sound like a CD? No.

Is a 128kbps mp3 enough for a Doom level being posted on the internet? I would say so.

Ed said:

Run an mp3 set at 320kb through a set of studio monitors, now play the cd of the exact same track. There's a difference. Usually lacking in the low, low end on the mp3.

There's also a difference at the high, high end. Mp3s cut off extreme frequencies altogether. Listening to say a harmonica or someone speaking a lot with the letter "S" and you'll not hear the highest frequencies integral to those sounds.

Steeveeo said:

What in the world are YOU using to encode MP3s?!

I don't encode mp3s.