Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sinyx

How do you make transparent textures

I know that cyan is the transparent color but when I use it in xwe it's purple and instead the images looks all weird. Any thoughts? I use paint, the gimp, and xwe.

Are your images 256 color? If not, they're going to be requantized into the Doom palette, and anything that is not exactly cyan (RGB 00FFFF) is quite likely to get munged since the Doom palette doesn't even have the color cyan in it in reality (it is one of a choice of placeholder colors that are used to determine the transparent areas of graphics being converted to column format). It sounds like that's probably what is happening.

No its still not working, I used the cyan as the background and I typed my text up for the menu but still nothing. Could you tell me how you do it cuz maybe its just me. Thanks for the help so far.

Probably you're not using the correct shade of cyan. Try exporting an image that uses transparency from your original doom wad (like a demon frame or something). Open the the frame in paint and paste your custom image over it. It should now have the correct palette.

And just to be clear, as Quasar indicated - Cyan is not the transparent colour in Doom. There is no transparent colour in Doom. It is merely a convention used by most, but not all, editing tools (not the game) as a placeholder colour that will be mapped to proper transparency when the graphics are converted to the Doom graphics format.

Make sure you are importing and converting to the Doom graphics format and not, for example, importing PNGs in their raw format or something. If you're doing that, then the graphic is not being converted to Doom format and, if you are using a port that is capable of doing so, the game will be showing the cyan with its nearest colour match in the game palette.