Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
farhaven

a translocator for zdoom

Hi people.

Yesterday and today I fooled around a bit with DECORATE and ACS and got a translocator device,very similar to the one found in UT. Primary fire fires a locatordisk and secondary fire teleports the player to the disk.
The mod should be multiplayer compatible.

the mod,along with a demo level (MAP01) is available here

I'd like to receive comments,suggestions and (almost) any kind of critizism :)

yours,farhaven

Looks cool. I hate to break it to you though, but this has already kinda been done. Someone else made a portal gun for Doom.

yeah,I know,I started doing this mod after I tried the portal gun because I felt those portals were some kind of uncomfortable and i wanted to do it the UT way instead of the Halflife way :)

The only problem I see is that you can occasionally be(temporarly)stuck in walls. Looks great though.

in most of the "I am stuck in a wall" cases it helps to "dance around a bit",by which I mean walking forward and turning a bit. I tried to overcome this problem by giving the disk a greater radius,but that leaded to problems when launching it.

You're the man. Are you the author of the weapon sprite? Most probably you already know, but it serves as a gun as you can also telefrag monsters, and if you know what you do you can kill a cyber faster than with the BFG. Great work!

EDIT: Toying around I have killed the Icon of Sin with this, and without nocliping mode.

Vegeta said:

You're the man. Are you the author of the weapon sprite? Most probably you already know, but it serves as a gun as you can also telefrag monsters, and if you know what you do you can kill a cyber faster than with the BFG. Great work!

EDIT: Toying around I have killed the Icon of Sin with this, and without nocliping mode.

NMN/Paul made that iirc. Check the DRDTeam forums.
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=2379

yep,the weapon sprite is by someone from the drd forums,the only thing i did was recoloring it a little bit. i am continously working on the demo level,so there will be improvements soon,as well as I'm thinking of making one episode (7 to 9 maps) specifically for the translocator. Maybe we can make a little contest from speedrunning the map (as with the portal gun map),my best time was 38 seconds.

I like this one more than the HL2esq version. Lots of fun. Wish it could work in multiplayer.

well,it's supposed to. unless two players fire their translocator disks in the exact same tic,everything should work fine,though I haven't tested it so far.

farhaven said:

in most of the "I am stuck in a wall" cases it helps to "dance around a bit",by which I mean walking forward and turning a bit. I tried to overcome this problem by giving the disk a greater radius,but that leaded to problems when launching it.

Maybe you could make it so that you'd teleport a tiny bit behind the sprite.

dutch devil said:

Nice work I haven't got an clue how to teleport to the other side of the lavapool I feel dumb now.

you have to set a secondary fire control.

The only problem i found, apart from getting stuck in walls, is that it's sometimes hard to see the translocator beacon. I ended up teleporting right into a lava pool since i wasn't sure if it was in the lava or not. Perhaps you should try a slightly bigger sprite, or having the sprite always fully lit. (Like lost souls, you always see them, even if the room is completely dark.)

I think the translocator would need limited ammo, otherwise it's unfair to kill Cyberdemons and especially Spiderdemons for no ammo at all, any time.

i first intended to give it limited ammo,but then it would be a pain in the arse to place the beacon correct if you're unused to the thing. I am currently working on implementing an auto refilling ammo,which give the player new ammo for the translocator every few seconds,so they need only 1 to 4 shots available.
Teleporting a bit behind the beacon is a great idea,as well as making the beacon sprite full lit,I'll try to add that.

farhaven said:

it would be a pain in the arse to place the beacon correct if you're unused to the thing.

Maybe it could use a targetting red spot.

does anyone know what state an item is in if it's inside a player's inventory?

[edit] nevermind,i solved the problem

so here we go,another version done. I added one corridor to the demo map and changed it's layout a little bit. I as well made the sprites for the beacon always be fullbright and bigger. The translocator now uses ammo, 5 disks are "delivered",they get refilled after a short period of time (70 tics = 2 seconds).

Now uploaded to MEGAUPLOAD.COM due to problems with rapidshare

Once again,I ask you to comment on this thing

You may have added ammo for it, but there is ONE HUGE DEAL about this, though it's great, it can be used for cheating. Shoot at wall, tele, shoot SAME wall, tele, shoot one more time, tele, now outside of map, the same applies to big nearly unreachable areas, use it on a OPEN ledge, the tele disk be on top, tele, and now your even higher then before (i.e: Map 30- Doom 2, going straight into where Icon is.).

<edit> Meaning if your by that tall ledge, and your crosshair is lookin at a wall, it'll tele you to it's ledge (if it has one).

Mithral_Demon said:

You may have added ammo for it, but there is ONE HUGE DEAL about this, though it's great, it can be used for cheating. Shoot at wall, tele, shoot SAME wall, tele, shoot one more time, tele, now outside of map, the same applies to big nearly unreachable areas, use it on a OPEN ledge, the tele disk be on top, tele, and now your even higher then before (i.e: Map 30- Doom 2, going straight into where Icon is.).

<edit> Meaning if your by that tall ledge, and your crosshair is lookin at a wall, it'll tele you to it's ledge (if it has one).

Heh, a full doom2 run could be intersting to watch, if the player uses this thing in it.

well,i know of these facts and i'm currently working on a fix for these,which means i'll change the beacons a bit,maybe two different actors for a flying beacon and for one on the ground,where the ground beacon has a radius which is about the same as a player's radius which would mean the player wouldn't be teleported into walls

I got yet another version working,I implemented Ichor's great idea of offsetting the player a little bit, now you won't get teleported into the wall even if you're standing right in front of it and fire the beacon.

Here it is

I thought as much. It should be slightly offset along the path of the projectile, not along the line of sight with the current player position, since you'll probably move around after you launch it, and there's a chance you'll get stuck in a wall anyway. A minor detail, but it should prevent you from being stuck in a wall...oh, about 90% of the time.

Also, as Csonicgo mentioned in the news thread, that thing really needs to have autoaim removed. As it is now, the only way you'll be able to telefrag that imp is from the platform the blue key is on.

i'm afraid there's no way of making a weapon ignore autoaim,at least the ZDoom wiki didn't reveal any flags which have to do with autoaim.

On the second remark (well,actually it was the first,but anyway): sorry,my bad,that was definitly a failure in my tests, i'll fix that as soon as possible.