Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Teleportation Experiments in ZDoom

One of our fellow Doomers, Farhaven, has created a translocator device for ZDoom. The primary fire fires a locator disk, and secondary fire teleports the player to the disk.

I'll let you try this out and discover the potential this has for all kind of game mods (SP, co-op, DM, CTF, etc). It not only works as a exploration or defense item, but also as a deadly weapon, as it telefrags as badly as any teleportation in Doom.

You can follow the development in this thread. Download it here or here.

This would be awesome if it works for Skulltag. I'd like to see some coop maps that make use of the translocator!

Neat idea and I applaud the author, however, it is buggy as Hell, you can EASILY go through walls and basically move through the level like a ghost. Adding it to DM would be akin to making a noclip hack :-P

The sprite is...not Doomy...I dunno, I just prefer the Doom style of art, which very few people can pull off. Or you could have ripped a sprite that doesn't suck, like say, something from Duke 3d or Shadow Warrior. It may not be Doomy, but at least they look professional (cue leileilololololol or whatever going "OMG DUKE3D/SW ART SUX LOL!!!")

Naked Snake said:
you can EASILY go through walls and basically move through the level like a ghost

Someone do a speedrun through Doom with it.

Fredrik said:

Someone do a speedrun through Doom with it.

You could probably set a record for telefragging the Icon of Sin with it too.

Craigs said:

You could probably set a record for telefragging the Icon of Sin with it too.

Yes! The first "Tyson modified" Map30 :-D

caco_killer said:

That's what I wanted to point out. Cutmanmike made that last year. The only difference with Farhaven's is it can telefrag enemies.

And this gun is 1-way.

There's an other way to stop the clipping cheating -even if it's evil, by placing a sector of instant death around the map.

You can fire the device, change to other weapon, and then once you need it, use the teleportation, quite convenient.

You can also cross pits (like these of map09) if you're fast enough.

I think adding "bounce in walls" may solve the clipping problem, this of course would dificult the aiming but that wouldn't be much of a deal.

The gun suffers heavily from autoaim. If there was a way to disable it specifically for this weapon...

Woah,a doomworld newspost dedicated to my work, I'm very happy :)
Thanks for all your nice comments and suggestions,I'll try to implement them as good as possible to make this thing fun for everyone. It's still in development,so leave your traces,they won't be ignored :)

Csonicgo: i'm afraid this isn't possible in decorate and neither in acs, at least i didn't find any matching flag in the wiki.

Csonicgo said:

The gun suffers heavily from autoaim. If there was a way to disable it specifically for this weapon...

I found that turning AUTOAIM off in PLAYEROPTIONS seems to solve this problem.

yep,but that would force people to use mouselook. I'd like it more if there was a way to let people stay with their accustomed control scheme and,if they use the keyboard,only use Look Up and Down for the translocator,so they wouldn't need to turn their controls upside down.

deathbringer said:

Didn't LWM do this at least 3 years ago?

I can't remember, but it wouldn't surprise me knowing her.

Anyway this is neat, but I don't like the idea of giving the projectile gravity at all, but that's just me. I wonder why my version was ignored eh?

I have good news for everyone: I just tested the translocator with skulltag, and it seems to work flawlessly,except the limit of 8 players and some problems with the demo map,the latter one most probably because I suck at mapping :)

The 8 player limit is being fixed at this very moment, I'll release a version for up to 32 players today.

Cutman: I gave the projectile gravity to make it behave in a similar to the ut translocator, this also has the nice side effect of the player being abled to teleport on top of platforms and poles,which I think is quite nice.

I wonder why my version was ignored eh?

If you are referring to you transportation beacon,which I recently had the pleasure to have a look at: It's indeed kinda nice, but my gun
a) is Multiplayer compatible from the basics of the concept
b) Makes it almost impossible to teleport into walls
c) allows precice aiming
d) is a gun :)

Well the latest version of mine fixes b). Yours is actually a life saver from all those people who kept bugging me for multiplayer support, when it's clearly made for singleplayer use. So thanks for that :)

farhaven said:

and some problems with the demo map,the latter one most probably because I suck at mapping :)

Skulltag has very buggy demo support because it never previously had very high demand. However, more and more people are starting to use it (you can have a successful demo using bots, look at SMDM), so it might have a brighter future ahead if there continue to be more demand for it.

If I could make use of this, I was imagining Roger Rabbit and the black holes they would throw in the cartoon Movie...

...I forget what they called them, but in a Mario like DOOM conversion this would have MANY fun uses and I'm not talking strictly death match.