Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hekksy

LinuxTag

There have always been discussions of Linux support for Skulltag on the Skulltag forums, but now they might actually be put into action.

Torr Samaho has recently made a post on the Skulltag forums about the issue:

Torr Samaho said:

Every once in a while, Linux support requests pop up. At the moment I'm busy with other things, but I won't rule out looking into making a Linux version after the 97d is released. As long as there is enough demand for it. So what are your opinions on this? Do you know anybody who will start playing Skulltag or host permanent, once there is a Linux binary? Will you stop using Windows and use Linux instead? Do you care at all about Linux support?

The post can be found here

Torr Samaho said:

Just keep in mind that the only thing I can promise is (given enough demand) that I'll try to port ST to Linux. I can't promise that a Linux version will be released.

However, as you can see Torr will only make a Linux port if there are people who will actually use it.

this might actually be better fitted in the News section

but aside from that, the more compatible it is, the better!

I know for a fact that Manc stopped hosting Skulltag servers because he moved to Linux and no longer could host them. Can't say if he would still find this intresting, but I am sure others would.

Steeveeo said:

this might actually be better fitted in the News section

I decided not to put it in the news section because it hasn't actually happened and might not happen. It all depends on how much demand there is for it.

Stilgar said:

As a Linux user, I say the more Linux-compatible Doom ports, the better.

But would you actually play the port? ;)

I nagged Carn for linux support constantly when I used to be involved with Skulltag.

Odamex.

Csonicgo said:

Have fun with getting rid of Fmod...

other than that, I'm all for it!

In case you haven't noticed: There's an FMOD distribution for Linux out there, so no problem.

I think it's very good of you to offer and I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but I can't promise I'd use it. I mean, Skulltag is closed source, Fmod is closed source and full of bugs, and there are other ports that don't suffer from this. Not to mention I've kind of lost interest in the idea of online play anyway:)

Vulture said:

But would you actually play the port? ;)

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: How much would depend on the availability of populated MP servers, as there isn't really much in the way of SP maps for Skulltag.

For those of you that don't bother pressing links:

Torr Samaho said on the Skulltag forums:At the moment it seems to me that the demand for Linux server binaries is high enough to try to get the server working under Linux. Depending on how difficult this will be and how the demand for a Linux client evolves, I will decide about the client later.

The voting polls are:
Still only use Windows: 42% (25)
Switch from Windows to Linux: 20% (12)
Start Playing Skulltag: 13% (8)
Host a new permenant server under Linux: 23% (14)

If anyone wants a client there needs to be more demand for it. Vote now.

RjY said:

I think it's very good of you to offer and I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but I can't promise I'd use it. I mean, Skulltag is closed source, Fmod is closed source and full of bugs, and there are other ports that don't suffer from this. Not to mention I've kind of lost interest in the idea of online play anyway:)

Ditto. Skulltag doesn't have the kind of weight to throw around like Half Life does that it can get away with being closed source on an open source opearating system.

If you still wanted to give the client a shot, though, the obvious answer is to take the odamex route and use SDL and SDL_Mixer. No idea how long that would take, though.

Vulture said:

[i]...running on Ubuntu Linux...

Looks more like Kubuntu to me. Anyway, that's pretty cool, I guess. A non-gui dedicated server would probably be more useful, though.

Mindless Rambler said:

You must have never seen a KDE application run in Ubuntu then.

Unless I use k3b, khexedit, and amarok with my eyes closed, I'd say I have seen a KDE application run in Ubuntu. I just didn't look at that screenshot closely.

Not to be an ass or anything, but this probably shouldn't be called LinuxTag so as not confuse with the pre-existing LinuxTag, and Google searches would come up more properly :p

It's not going to be called LinuxTag. The name was a joke somebody made on the forums and I just put it in the title because I couldn't think of a good title for this post.

YAY, Skulltag in Debian.
And you can add lines in your sources.list, so that Ubuntu can run KDE applications.

leileilol said:

you're right. it should and must be called "GNU\LinuxTag"

OK, Richard Stallman.

There may, or may not be a working Linux

non-gui dedicated server

for Skulltag. I just can't remember. :)

Vulture said:

http://i10.tinypic.com/6g21nv7.jpg

Progress is moving along faster then I thought :O

Plus, we have a working Linux ST server binary. SuperGod was hosting a server with it for quite awhile, and it was visible on IDE (but was passworded).

EDIT: Oops, didn't see Aabra's post :) ... I mean, I can't remember if we have a working Linux server either :)

EDIT: Oops, didn't see Aabra's post :) ... I mean, I can't remember if we have a working Linux server either :) [/B]

I can remember whether the server code I ported to Linux works or not :P.

Graf Zahl said:

In case you haven't noticed: There's an FMOD distribution for Linux out there, so no problem.

have you any clue how annoying it is to install? All the gentoo ricers have it in the repository while kicking popular things like XMMS out. I never understood that, but that's why I don't use Gentoo.

Fmod for Ubuntu? ha! Show me how to do it.