Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Deertag

request help on floor lighting

Am hoping someone here can explain how to activate floor lighting? I want to light up the floor without also lighting up the ceiling as a normal lighted sector does.

If it matters, I use wadauthor as an editor

Thanks

In case you're mapping for a port supporting Boom's features, look for a sector in the map having the brightness you want. Assign one its linedefs type # 213 (floor light, not in ZDoom) or # 261 (ceiling light, not in ZDoom, see below) and tag them to the desired sector.
If it's ZDoom, the specials are # 210 and # 211, respectively.

Otherwise, go to http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx6.php . Let's hope UGO/Telefragged are calm.

EDIT: Figured it out, didn't even need that tutorial at all!

Merely create a sector outside your map, give one of it's sides a linedef for either ceiling light or floor light, adjust the light level for that sector, then point the linedef to the tagged sector in the map that it is supposed to effect.

And if you want that floor brightness to change mid-game, do you just change the brightness of the outside sector? Will the floor also change automatically?

yup, it most likely will, since AFAIK every tic or so the engine rechecks/redraws the lights just in case a special has changed them.

Unlike slopes which are calculated into the BSP tree. Would be nice to have dynamic slopes though!

stewboy said:

And if you want that floor brightness to change mid-game, do you just change the brightness of the outside sector? Will the floor also change automatically?

For GZDoom you would use ACS scripting to accomplish the change in mid-game.

Steeveeo said:

... Would be nice to have dynamic slopes though!

Again for GZDoom. Something like this?
http://www3.telus.net/NeoHippo/OTHER/3D_sloping.png

no, not 3d floor slopes! I've already done that!

I just have not figured out how to make a slope CHANGE midgame.

Steeveeo said:

... I just have not figured out how to make a slope CHANGE midgame.

Ah, I see.
As per Graf's explanation, slopes are setup when a map loads and cannot be changed after that.
Maybe, at some point in the future, a possible solution can be found for this. But I wouldn't want
to hold my breath waiting for that.

uh, dude, I already said that...

Unlike slopes which are calculated into the BSP tree. Would be nice to have dynamic slopes though!

Note that I said 'WOULD BE NICE', not 'HOW TO'.

Steeveeo said:

What makes you think that? Trust me, it isn't true. Theoretically slopes could be altered at run time. There's just no means to do it.

then who was it that said that before?

thought it was you but I guess not.

Someone said somtm about "Not being able to change slopes midgame because the engine only calculates them once" then went on to say somtm about the BSP tree...

Musta got some paraphrasing issues on my end...

Steeveeo said:

Someone said somtm about "Not being able to change slopes midgame because the engine only calculates them once"

That part is true but there is nothing that would prohibit slope recalculation during the running game.

I'm somewhat confused. So are you saying it IS currently possibly, it's just that someone needs to fiddle around and it can presently be done, or are you saying something could be altered in the code to allow this in the future.

Sorry for my dumbness.

dumbness aside (jk) I wonder why the engine hasnt been coded to perform any slope rechecks yet...

Seems like it would be a useful tool for making map secrets and level flare!