Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Revenge in progress for Doom 64 (looking for a tester)

Hell beneath part2 is going well. But did i forget you nitendo nerds?
Of course not! Along with part 2, i am working on a map for Doom 64 TC
called Revenge. It has a story to it. But fore now i am only going to show some screenshots.

Sounds interesting. However, in the 1st and 3rd pics, is the black "wall" a wall or another room?

hardcore_gamer said:

Another room.

You might want to increase the brightness of that room. There's nothing wrong with dark levels but when you've got a really bright room right next to a pitch black room it looks kinda sloppy.
You might also want to fix those misaligned flats...

Craigs said:

You might want to increase the brightness of that room. There's nothing wrong with dark levels but when you've got a really bright room right next to a pitch black room it looks kinda sloppy.
You might also want to fix those misaligned flats...

it is a secret room that opens and the demons come running out of the darkness. It is suppose to be dark. And the light flickers so it is not always dark.

By the way, i am looking for some testers. To test you must have the latest version of Doom 64 TC installed. I will only send what i have made so far to 3 people max. So don't be shay about posting your intrest
if you have one. I will send the wad in a email.

As soon as I can get it running, I'll try it out. The screenshots look rather promising

It starts off pretty bad. Everything looks like something out of 1994. Everything looks flat and the seizure inducing lighting in the Demon ambush area doesn't help either. Fortunately, it does get better. There were some parts that gave me trouble till I learned how to deal with them. There was one part I remember, where there was a caged arachnotron and he kept filling the hallway I stood in with plasma. It was hard till you finally figured out the secret to killing it. My main complaint was that there were some rooms that served absolutely no purpose, such as 2 of the little cells in the previously mentioned hallway. You'd walk in, waste some ammo on the monsters in there (One of which was a stealthed nightmare demon) only to find absolutely nothing of importance in there.
One more thing, there was a caged nightmare demon in the same room with the caged Arachnotron. I think you might want to swap it out with a different monster, considering it has to be right in your face to do anything to you.

Overall, it's a good map but there is still some work to be done on it.

Craigs said:

Overall, it's a good map but there is still some work to be done on it.

But i am novere near complete! This is just a sample to get some feedback.

Cool. uuhh... anyone ever make a CFG file for SLADE for the Doom64 TC?

Janitor said:

Cool. uuhh... anyone ever make a CFG file for SLADE for the Doom64 TC?

What the hell is a CFG file and what kinda program is SLADE?
Are you sure you don't mean SLIGE?

hardcore_gamer said:

What the hell is a CFG file and what kinda program is SLADE?
Are you sure you don't mean SLIGE?

You are aware that Doombuilder isn't the ONLY mapping program for Doom aren't you?

Slade info

Craigs said:

You are aware that Doombuilder isn't the ONLY mapping program for Doom aren't you?

Slade info

of course i know that! I used Deepsea before doom builder. I just did'n know about Slade and does that really make my look like a moron to you?

EDIT: sorry if i am bieng to harsh.

Is there anything that i should do better or is there something you hate
about the map? Pleace tell.

Nothing special. Just keep mapping, playtesting, adjusting, until you can safely say "now this is really cool". This is general -- I haven't downloaded your map - I don't have Doom64, neither have I much time... sorry. I judged it from Craigs' post.
Heh, what's to "hate" in a map in progress? :)

hardcore_gamer said:

Is there anything that i should do better or is there something you hate
about the map? Pleace tell.

The oddly angled walls, the nonsensical structures and the weird use of textures. It just doesn't look like Doom 65 ought to...

Try to mimic the Doom64 style and I think you'll get it. Just Keep mapping.

Janitor said:

The oddly angled walls, the nonsensical structures and the weird use of textures. It just doesn't look like Doom 65 ought to...

Try to mimic the Doom64 style and I think you'll get it. Just Keep mapping.

well the think is i don't want the map to look like just another doom 64
map. If i wanted to play a map that looks just like those found in
doom 64, i would just start playing the game instead of makeng one.

It's way better, you did listen my advice to make much wider corridors :) instead of cramped ones

here's the most important thing:

just make your wad and make it the best you possibly can based on your own judgements.
do not make a level based on what the doom community wants, because the glue that holds the doom community together is that every individual is truly an individual...this is a diverse scene.
all have an oppinion.
all have taste.
do what you want.
and do everything that you want.
the single most exciting thing in doom mapping is to see some individual embody a map...to put all of him/herself into it, so that this map IS the mapper.
that is what is important.

The Lag said:

here's the most important thing:

just make your wad and make it the best you possibly can based on your own judgements.
do not make a level based on what the doom community wants, because the glue that holds the doom community together is that every individual is truly an individual...this is a diverse scene.
all have an oppinion.
all have taste.
do what you want.
and do everything that you want.
the single most exciting thing in doom mapping is to see some individual embody a map...to put all of him/herself into it, so that this map IS the mapper.
that is what is important.

Do you think i would do things any difrent? I do my maps MY WAY!
I hated allot of maps from Doom2 and Doom 64 becouse of how they all felt the same. My goal is to make something that does not look like
Doom 64.