Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

nVidia trouble, help requested

Godammit nVidia couldn't write a driver to save their fucking lives.

I'm using the latest XP Detonators from nVidia.com.

The problem is video and game playback... it was always horribly dark. I could never adjust any of the gamma sliders 'cuz they were darkened and unadjustable.

The fucked part is that Windows and most images simply look perfect, but jpegs, movie clips, dvds and accellerated games were just way the fuck too dark. By ajusting my monitor I made those things look washed out and windows look like it's covered in milk.

Well I was watching a South Park and chatting and fucking 'round inside of Windows and I discovered that the Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, GeForce 2 MX 100/200, Additional Properties, Overlay Controls was NO LONGER faded out.

In fact, I could actually ajust them so long as a fucking movie was playing. Which I did and now I can see black people on my computer. Seriously, Stan looked Hindu and Chef was charcoal.

So, out of elation, I installed Q2 to discover that it is STILL unplayably dark. Hell, right at were the game begins by your crash pod, WITH THE BRIGHTNESS IN THE GAME MENU CRANKED ALL THE WAY UP you can barely see the dude's gun and the sky is just about all of the level you can see.

I dove back into those menus and NOTHING has changed. There is NOTHING in the OpenGL section about brightness, contrast or gamma. Doing a global monitor setting only makes the game washed out and ugly and makes windows pure white.

Detonator drivers SUCK.

How in the name of God am I supposed to use this fucking card? This is really pissing me off needless to say.

I've tried three tweak utilities so far and NONE of the fucking things can adjust gamma or contrast in OpenGL. I looked around my harddrive for a settings file and I rooted around in my registry and found NOTHING.

Have any of you fellers had a similar problem?

BTW, none of you penguin freaks tell me to use Linux. I want to play MORE than Q2 with this card, I'm just using it as a test staple. =P

Hahaha, you installed the newest Microsoft OS before it was out for a year. H4R H4R H4R!

Thank you for being such a fucking help, assbutter. I'm so fucking pissed off at nVidia I could firebomb their cache of Ferarris.

Hahaha, you installed the newest Microsoft OS before it was out for a year. H4R H4R H4R!

Actually, I had the same problem (only not that critical) on Win98. I fixed it by buying a new monitor, but I guess that's not an option.

Same Problem, I put the latest Detonators on my PC, it has a GeForce2mx/400....needless to say everything went SNAFU.....I can only suggest you put the previous drivers back on......12.41 I think

Well actually Quake 2 was about the worst game you could test the brightness on, because it doesn't adjust the brightness automatically in OpenGL. What you have to do is go back into Software mode (icky, i know), crank up the brightness slider all the way there, then go back to OpenGL.

In Quake 3, on the other hand, brightness can just be changed with a slider in the 'System' menu somewhere.

Aight ?

I found it quite funny, when people talk about "OH LOOK NVIDIA HAS GREAT DRIVERS ETC ETC ETC" when they're not even fucking stable. Not even their Linux drivers are stable.

3Dfx's drivers, whatever else you might say about the company, were damned fucking always stable (for me), and now somebody's got hacked driver files to work with GLIDE support in XP ... I think I know what I'm going to be doing in a little bit.

XP

Well, there's the problem...

I use the 12.40 detonators in WinME, and I've had no problems. Wouldn't touch the 21.83 ones with a bargepole though...

deadnail. Such is the problem with Windows. If something doesn't work you have limited options on how to correct it. Usually by installing different drivers for the offending piece of hardware. I can only suggest installing a previous version of the drivers in question. Ones that are less buggy than the current ones (if they exist). The additional functionality of the new drivers is of little use if the display is too dark to see properly.

Have you tried messing with the Direct X control panel? Maybe there are some things in there you could adjust.

Yup me too,no problems with ME,only time was using ZDoomGL,it regularly crashes and I can't adjust the in-game brightness-any ideas anyone? But considering XP's youth I would say there's your problem.They even had a 'Watchdog' programme devoted to it here in the UK because SO many people have had problems/incompatabilities with it.

deadnail. Such is the problem with Windows. If something doesn't work you have limited options on how to correct it. Usually by installing different drivers for the offending piece of hardware. I can only suggest installing a previous version of the drivers in question. Ones that are less buggy than the current ones (if they exist). The additional functionality of the new drivers is of little use if the display is too dark to see properly.

Have you tried messing with the Direct X control panel? Maybe there are some things in there you could adjust.

Yes, said as if you'd have a damned clue what to fix when your screensavers b0rk X and the linux box, with Nvidia's drivers installed.

Anyone who a) doesn't have programmers credentials, b) can't fix bugs by applying code patches and re-compiling, and c) complains about Windows' lack of options ... is a hypocrite.

I'll note that Nvidia didn't release source code for their Linux drivers. Good luck hunting problems down.

Actually, I had the same problem (only not that critical) on Win98. I fixed it by buying a new monitor, but I guess that's not an option.

I refuse to spend $200 to $300 to replace a perfectly functional component merely because nVidia sucks cock at writing drivers. I never had a problem like this with the other three video cards and this monitor.

Same Problem, I put the latest Detonators on my PC, it has a GeForce2mx/400....needless to say everything went SNAFU.....I can only suggest you put the previous drivers back on......12.41 I think

Anyone have these drivers that'll work with XP? 'Cuz I couldn't install the ones offa the CD that came with the card.

Well actually Quake 2 was about the worst game you could test the brightness on, because it doesn't adjust the brightness automatically in OpenGL. What you have to do is go back into Software mode (icky, i know), crank up the brightness slider all the way there, then go back to OpenGL.

Tried it. No difference.

In Quake 3, on the other hand, brightness can just be changed with a slider in the 'System' menu somewhere.

Yeah but it is still hella dark. SoF is the only game I've tried with this damn card that has a slider that can actually make the game playable.

That seems to be a pretty big if, I'm sure as hell hoping they do.

The Direct X Control Panel and Diagnostic Tools don't help me at all because the card is actually functioning fine, I just need crank the fucking gamma on the thing and it seems to be impossible because nVidia is a gaggle of stupid whores.

This might be of use Treaker

Did you happen to take a look at that site? In case you didn't... here's the first listed update of the program:

Known issues:
The color correction settings do NOT work under W2k/XP.

I've tried that program and it did not help. Before though it was just Zaldron sending me to pages offa VoodooSlut.com or something and they didn't bother telling you which tweak can do what, the stupid shitheads.

Anyone out there ever tried a GeForce tweaker that can adjust gamma? Anyone?

According to some Guru3D forum threads I'm not the only asshole who's had this problem. RivaTuner could help a few of them and it doesn't help me. According to everyone this is specifically a driver problem and I simply have to wait for nVidia to fix it.

Damnation.

I'm under Win2k and use the Detonator XP 21.83 driver (My monitor is a IIyama)...
And I never had a problem of darkness on my monitor with that driver.
I got I guess all the options available like "Color settings", "Color Corrections"...blabla

My DVD brightness/contrast are OK (I supposed, what means OK exactly ? ;P)
Colors are fine, on games too.

I don't know what are the technical terms for that because I use the French DXP Driver...
Maybe it comes from that fact but it will be really weird.

Yes, said as if you'd have a damned clue what to fix when your screensavers b0rk X and the linux box, with Nvidia's drivers installed.

Anyone who a) doesn't have programmers credentials, b) can't fix bugs by applying code patches and re-compiling, and c) complains about Windows' lack of options ... is a hypocrite.

I'll note that Nvidia didn't release source code for their Linux drivers. Good luck hunting problems down.

Eh? I mentioned nothing about linux, X blah blah blah.... I don't use linux and I don't care about it...at all. I don't ever intend to use it either.

I don't see how complaining about the lack of "options" for fixing problems with windows makes me a hypocrite. I didn't even complain if you reread my post. I simply stated a fact. In windows something either works or it does not. If it does not your only choice is to install a different version of the software/and or drivers. If that fails you're shit outta luck. With linux you can apply code patches and re-compile(if the problem is with linux itself or with drivers for which you have the source code). You cannot do that with windows no matter how good a programmer you are. Unless you can get Microsoft to cough up the source code(fat chance :P). If Microsoft ever did provide the option for applying patches and re-compiling you can bet your ass I'd learn how to do that stuff... If you're such a smarty man, why don't you just write your own drivers :P

Just get a Radeon 8500. As long as you install the newest drivers, everything is happy. ^_^ I've got one here in a (single-CPU) AthlonXP 1900+ (really a 1600) @ 1868Mhz on a 336Mhz FSB (Just managed that recently, actually - I love this KT266A chipset), and with the card at stock speeds, I get ridiculous framerates. I've been playing Max Payne at 1600x1200x32 with 16-tap anisotropic filtering, and it runs quite smoothly.

Eh? I mentioned nothing about linux, X blah blah blah.... I don't use linux and I don't care about it...at all. I don't ever intend to use it either.

I don't see how complaining about the lack of "options" for fixing problems with windows makes me a hypocrite. I didn't even complain if you reread my post. I simply stated a fact. In windows something either works or it does not. If it does not your only choice is to install a different version of the software/and or drivers. If that fails you're shit outta luck. With linux you can apply code patches and re-compile(if the problem is with linux itself or with drivers for which you have the source code). You cannot do that with windows no matter how good a programmer you are. Unless you can get Microsoft to cough up the source code(fat chance :P). If Microsoft ever did provide the option for applying patches and re-compiling you can bet your ass I'd learn how to do that stuff... If you're such a smarty man, why don't you just write your own drivers :P

I believe what I posted responds perfectly well to what you just did, so I won't comment further.

hypocrite n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that they do not hold.

I hold the opinions I stated. If they are uninformed by your standards, so be it. That does not by definition make me a hypocrite. At worst it just makes me wrong.

Max Payne at 1600x1200x32 with 16-tap anisotropic filtering

Yeah, but you're rich :)

Just get a Radeon 8500.

Not all of us wipe our asses with hundred dollar bills. If it was a simple matter of just WEE FUCK IT BUY SOMETHING ELSE everytime there was the slightest bit of trouble I wouldn't've complained in the first place.

There's no doubt I am absolutely sick of nVidia's products, drivers, and the company itself. I fucking abhor Creative while I'm at it.

I fucking wish there was a Turtle Beach that came with XP drivers... I have a feeling the XP ones from their website won't come with the sample set.

Hey deadnail, I don't have xp or 2000, haven't played with any comps with those os's installed yet either. I don't suppose they use old dos shit like autoexec.bat and config.sys anymore do they? On my Win 98 computer's vidcard there are autoexec.bat commands that can alter gamma, re-assign irqs and stuff like that (the gamma setting slider is disabled in windows and in most games just like in your case). Do those os's use still use win.ini? I was able to put some lines in there to tweak my 3dfx card on my win95 comp. If so, could there be some commands avialible for you to construct some kind of half assed fix? Yeah, I know it sounds kinda retarded, but it's better than not being able to play games cause it's too dark.

One more thing. Are you using a plug and play monitor? Can you change the display type in the settings panel? Can you change the settings for the kind of monitor you are using to something else besides the default or plug and play type monitor? Dunno if any of that can be of help in your case. It did help me solve all my video problems though.

mar heh deadnail, in your registry you need to turn the coolbits menu on and shit and disable all the crap that nvidia does, thats the only way i could change any thing with mine

Only Glide based cards use SET cmds on your autoexec.bat. On Nvidia's tech everything's controlled over Win32.

I don't have any problem with Nvidia's products or the company. Just by taking a look at what they have archieved over the past years give me enough to thank them.

Altough, yes, 3dfx made better drivers, that's for sure.

Hey Stphrz, what Zaldron said.

Coolbits is on, still won't let me adjust gamma in OpenGL rendering.

Coolbits is on, still won't let me adjust gamma in OpenGL rendering.

USE THE FUCKING BRIGHTNESS SETTING ON YOUR MONITOR YOU DUNDERPATE.

Lüt is going to look awful funny with his ass up between his shoulder blades :)

Hey Lüt, you companies other than Creative make sound cards? since when? retard, there is a difference between brightness, gamma curve and contrast. All three need to be played with. My monitor only has so many settings and NO presets. In the end they look washed out... and that's after a few minutes of fucking with it. I don't fancy the idea of burning my monitor out or breaking these shitty buttons on it from overuse either.

Maybe if you'd've bothered to obtain computer hardware made after 199fucking8 you might've come across a similar issue. But oh well you'd need a job to do that anyway.

You ever find that PS/2 to Serial converter you were looking for?

Cockless wonderfuck.