Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryback

Hell Revealed demos [-complevel 2]

j4rio said:

hr map 19 max in 2:23

Good demo with some really cool, high-powered BFG blasts, such as the one against four mancubi. Slaughter-style gameplay is your strong point, and you have enough skills to do major improvements over many of the HR2 max records (even though you focus on a playthrough with "half-decent times", without too meticulous time-hunt on individual maps).

xepop said:

Keyboard strolling probably is the coolest category possible.

Well, I personally feel cooler when I finish longer, more violent, more fast-paced, more optimized demos (in other categories, of course), but I agree that keyboard strolling is very interesting. Mouse's instant turns are unnatural for human pedestrian walking, so walking with keyboard only (and with no 180 turn key) is a more realistic imitation of true strolling.

xit-vono said:
hr map05 nightmare secrets in 5:22, which is slower than Peo's TAS demo. SAV88 says that it's possible to beat Peo's time, so this should be beatable.

My answer is here. Hell Revealed level 5 NM100S in 3:17.

hs05-317.zip

SAV88 said:

Good demo with some really cool, high-powered BFG blasts, such as the one against four mancubi. Slaughter-style gameplay is your strong point, and you have enough skills to do major improvements over many of the HR2 max records (even though you focus on a playthrough with "half-decent times", without too meticulous time-hunt on individual maps).

Glad to hear so from a perfectionist :))
Well I've to say that many of current hr2 maxes with fastest times are really literally "records". Vincent's map 15 for example is, imho, one genius demo as I could get only 17:XX after almost week spent with that damn map. (But of course there are beatable records too.)

Well I actually thought about improving those, but mehhh bad luck.

8 can be improved, and in case you want to know how, watch xepop's speed demo for that map... yeah, awesome...

13, well, I dislike it. It's annoying for me to speedrun.

didn't play 25 so far, but 11 seems easily beatable, just hadn't any try with lucky infights so far

Speaking of all of these glides, did anyone try the potential glide in hr16? Right in front of the red switch. You can fit between the two central red bars with absolute *PERFECT* precision, flip the switch, and then perform the glide back out of them. It makes the entire map completable on Nightmare difficulty IF it can be pulled off. It's not in the easiest spot to perform a glide in, though. I managed to get into the red switch and flip it, but I couldn't get the glide to perform to get back out fast enough.

Just thought I'd share.

Altima said:

It makes the entire map completable on Nightmare difficulty IF it can be pulled off.

Level 16 was already completed on Nightmare by me (long ago), without using shortcuts, except for one little switch trick. But the red switch glide will make the map speedrun a lot shorter, and hopefully there is someone who can do it fast enough.

Altima said:

Speaking of all of these glides, did anyone try the potential glide in hr16?

It is used in Alexander Nikulin's TAS/built Movie run (together with a similar glide at the blue-key bars). He presses the switches while gliding, so he can back out without initiating a new glide.

Both glides are in "hard" directions (i.e. not east-to-west), so would be very difficult to pull off at all cleanly in a non-TAS demo. Not impossible though, for someone who is highly adept at gliding.

Quoting from 30hr1631.txt:

map16: Running the whole map without armor and weapons would have been of no fun, so i
invented this neat route which allows to cut the boring parts :) I suggest to try doing it
unassisted, the time under 1:30 would be very good here.

SAV88: Ah. I was looking around to see if it had been done but I guess I missed it. I saw the glide for hr17 and that's what got me to looking around. I really need to catch up on some of these things, I've been out of the loop far too long. Grats on beating it on NM btw, I didn't think it was possible after doing the UV run of it.

Took a break from optimizing hard maxes and decided to have some little fun.

So I improved my HR14 Nightmare Speed from 1:37 to 1:21.

hn14-121.zip

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Map10 max 4:04

Plasma fun here!

Your route has lots of redundant moving around. For example, it's better to kill the first 5 enemies immediately, no need to return to the starting area later (when they'll get misgrouped). Following Anders' old strategy with some corrections, you can definitely get below 3:44.

Another short and relaxing run, HR16 Nightmare Speed in 2:28 (an improvement over my old 2:54, with no new shortcuts).

This is my last demo of 2011. Tomorrow I'll fly to Ukraine, and in January I will return to my Dooming computer. Expect some serious Doom action from me in the next years :-)

hn16-228.zip

Doing all 32 maps of hr as a uv 'speed' movie doesn't seem that hard (except for map 30 which sucks and seems to take lots of luck) as long as you play pretty safe and don't go too fast. But that would be boring to make, taking lots of attempts and probably fairly boring to watch as it'd be played safe. I got up to 15 I think, lazily playing & half forgetting what to do in later levels. Remind me not to retry anymore so I don't waste my life.

you can play map 30 safely and rather reliably if you play the beginning pacifist-ish, like this.

MAP05 UV Max (first exit) in 2:42, inspired by Yonatan's TAS 2:43.

Having analyzed the HR TAS maxes, I'm 100% convinced that all of the times by Peo & Alexander and almost all by Yonatan & Esko can be beaten without assistance. And I think improving as many of them as possible would be a fun long-time challenge for Doomworld. Any more volunteers? :-)

hr05-242.zip

SAV88 said:

MAP05 UV Max (first exit) in 2:42, inspired by Yonatan's TAS 2:43.

Having analyzed the HR TAS maxes, I'm 100% convinced that all of the times by Peo & Alexander and almost all by Yonatan & Esko can be beaten without assistance. And I think improving as many of them as possible would be a fun long-time challenge for Doomworld. Any more volunteers? :-)

You should try for map 6, that's one of my favorite maps.

j4rio said:

you can play map 30 safely and rather reliably if you play the beginning pacifist-ish, like this.

Not really a time-saving technique on anything but UV-fast due to the lack of reliable Revenant missile-spam though. Still, it does work as long as you don't get telefragged. Best case scenario for this map is ALWAYS having the Cyberdemon get telefragged.

Bah, crap. Got a 2:41 on 5 with 98% kills. Gonna retry tomorrow because my brain is about to melt in a moment.

Altima said:

Not really a time-saving technique on anything but UV-fast due to the lack of reliable Revenant missile-spam though. Still, it does work as long as you don't get telefragged. Best case scenario for this map is ALWAYS having the Cyberdemon get telefragged.

Huh? It works with non-fast monsters as well. You make revs and cyb infight, then imps on either side, then one-shoot cyb and then hope no archviles or PEs get teleported in too soon while you rush for icon.

Congrats on your epic optimization work, j4rio! Do you want to break some more HR TASes? You've proven to have enough skill and persistence for it, and maps like 7, 8 or 9 may be interesting for you.

j4rio said:

map 5 uvmax in 2:36

:)

Indeed a very very good demo, a really fast-paced and clean one. Congrats!
Now what's next? :)

MAP16 Nightmare Speed in 2:16.
Probably my best NM demo at the moment, played a lot less cowardly than my recent 2:28 run.

For the first half of April I will be away (in Ukraine), and later I'll return to hell-revealing :)

hn16-216.zip