Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Share some tactics and tricks you use in multiplayer games

There are many multiplayer stategy guides, but most tend to fall in basic tips, that the reader knew before reading. I know real skills come from the experience, yet it's allways fun to have some "special moves" in your inventary to use from time to time to get some advantage or just in case things are turn dangerous.

Here some of mine.

-With your pistol start shooting at the other player, while you run to get away from him, turn the corner, then change to the best weapon you have and start attacking the other player once it turned the corner too. If you survive the first phase with decent health, to get a frag is almost guarateed, at least the first time.

-In a map where there's a room that that tend to be the place of most fights, sit in a corner/hallway where you can see the nucleous of it, and start shooting rockets toward it.

Less honorable moves:
-when there's just you and the other player in a map with the BFG, ask him if he knows the "trick of the bubble", then say that you'll show it to him, choose a room versatile for the BFG and place at a decent distance from the other player, use a lot the talk function to simulate you're going to show something interesting, and a prove of your friendly intentions, ask him not to share it, and stuff like that, ask him to pay attention and look, say him that he must place on your back, locate near a corner leaving a huge space in front of you then shoot the BFG and quickly turn and aim to the player so the ball goes on his direction and you caught him with the traces. Another chance should be to shoot in the other direction, and just when the projectile is going to hit the wall you move backward keeping the other player in front of you.
Once the other player is dead, explain him "that's the trick of the bubble".
This of course doesn't work with people that don't care to shoot you when you aparently back your guard (so you must stay frosty for that).

-The most coward (yet quite effective) thing should be to ask the other player something that requires a long answer, like how to change the mouse sensitivity or something, and then, a direct ssg or rocket blast. This is only saved for extreme situations and with players you don't have any respect to.

The best tactic I can suggest is to ignore the contents of this thread entirely, because it is quite retarded.

I play Quake 3 Arena with bots, though most of the time, maybe also in Nightmare, I lead the bots real high; I score frags easily, through a real simple tactic: don't stop shooting/stay calm. Or even simpler: aim, shoot. No pause.

The only tip that's even remotely helpful is the first one. Though I use the first one anyway and know others use it too. Only a newbie would immediately follow an opposing player around a sharp, narrow corner when there are rocket launchers or SSGs in the map.

...I wonder how you forgot:

"Set up your own server, play locally, and only challenge remote players, preferaply with pings > 200 ms. And if they complain about lag tell them it's their connection that's crappy and that you play just fine and they're whining n00bs that can't stand the Xtreme pwnage".

In an ssg duel if the other guy misses or just wounds you, stop moving take your time and aim carefully before you shoot. The long reload time will give you a big advantage.

Don't run from bfg weilding players, you will die sure as shit. Charge them. Better yet run at them while firing. You still may die but your chances are better.

Use rockets against someone with a plasma gun. They might not see the rockets coming at them or even hear you shoot.

Maes said:

"Set up your own server, play locally, and only challenge remote players, preferaply with pings > 200 ms. And if they complain about lag tell them it's their connection that's crappy and that you play just fine and they're whining n00bs that can't stand the Xtreme pwnage".

Ultra lol, I'll definetly try this one!

stphrz said:

Use rockets against someone with a plasma gun. They might not see the rockets coming at them or even hear you shoot.

Sounds like a neat idea.

Doom requires no strategy, just run in and kill people, this isn't Socom.

Naked Snake said:

Best tips ever : don't die, kill everyone, collect health, armor and ammo and never walk.

This pretty much sumarizes every Doom strategy guide ever.

Vegeta said:

Ultra lol, I'll definetly try this one!

Don't forget to "teach" to the poor bastards you'll pwn every time, that they must learn to LEAD the SSG in order to hit you ;-)

*a whiney voice can be heard*
n00b: "But doom doesn't have bullet physics, oh great pwnerer!"
*a firm and somewhat annoyed voice can be heard*
pwnerer: "STFU, n00b."

I like to lurk in front of a start point with a rocket launcher or SSG.

DJShrimpy said:

Doom requires no strategy, just run in and kill people, this isn't Socom.

I wish you luck in duels against real players then.

Shoot the other people until they fall over

Make yourself a personalised skin, but make another skin in the same wad that looks like a clip or something. Now name the wad as your username and get everyone to download it, now switch to the "disguise" and sit somewhere with the SSG, don't move at all and allow the other players to blast each other, then suddenly SSG them when they come close and go "gotcha in the back! too slow!". Oh and hope no stray bullets come your way, the skin may be tiny but your "prescence" is the same size.

What I like (or dislike, depends) about real-time critical multiplayer games via Internet is that nearly everyone can set up his own server, do some serious lag-pwnage while practically invincible and call himself the undisputed, invincible petty little king of his petty little server. :-)

Cool, but why don't make yourself an invisible skin instead?

That would be 'serious cheating' as opposed to 'lame trying-to-be-clever cheating'

Hmm, a deatmatch where everybody is invisible may have some comedy value though, especially if everybody has rocket launchers, you'd know if you where touching somebody but you couldnt shoot them from there, you'd have to run away to fire, but they would also be running away... and then you won't know where they are! firing at all would become a big risk

deathbringer said:

That would be 'serious cheating' as opposed to 'lame trying-to-be-clever cheating'

Hmm, a deatmatch where everybody is invisible may have some comedy value though, especially if everybody has rocket launchers, you'd know if you where touching somebody but you couldnt shoot them from there, you'd have to run away to fire, but they would also be running away... and then you won't know where they are! firing at all would become a big risk

It would be hilarious to see a recording of a deathmatch like that. OMG!