Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Steeveeo

GZDoom Custom Shaders

Similar to my last post but not quite the same.

How do you code custom shaders for sprites and textures? By "how do you" I mean what file format and what are the possible shader flags? (ie, face warp settings, render flags, etc).

Any help appreciated!

Then why is there an OpenGL option to "Use Shaders on warped flats"?

Is there an external file that tells the engine how to use it? (ie, in GZDoom.pk3?)

Or is it built into the engine itself?

Steeveeo said:

Then why is there an OpenGL option to "Use Shaders on warped flats"?

Is there an external file that tells the engine how to use it? (ie, in GZDoom.pk3?)

Or is it built into the engine itself?

Currently it's only a test case and therefore coded into the engine.

ah I see...

So what build can we expect the custom shader option to come out? It would add a TON of modding possibilities. I've always wanted to recreate my custom Mercury Shader (aka Quicksilver) from Quake 3 into GZDoom!

Right now I'd say: never. Sorry, but due to lack of time I haven't been working on the renderer for 8 months now. All I did was merge in the ongoing changes of ZDoom.

It's not that useful for modding anyway because you'd need a rather good graphics card to use shaders without seeing a performance loss. For example, on my old Geforce 5900 having a warp shader active on a sector with a horizon caused a 30% frame rate drop on occasion. On my current GF 6800 it is much better with less than 10% though.

is it just because the engine doesnt process shaders effeciently?

Because on my comp I can run a level on Q3 with many shaders in one room, but with GZDoom I had to turn off the warp shaders because they hacked my framerates to pieces...

Steeveeo said:

is it just because the engine doesnt process shaders effeciently?

Because on my comp I can run a level on Q3 with many shaders in one room, but with GZDoom I had to turn off the warp shaders because they hacked my framerates to pieces...

What kind of graphics card do you have? This sounds like something older.

And FYI, these shaders are hardware shaders so they need modern hardware to work well. AFAIK Q3 uses software shaders which are something completely different. I always wanted to add ZDoomGL's software shaders but I had some problems integrating them in my rendering code so it hasn't gone beyond the planning stage yet. In order to support them I'll probably have to redesign the main rendering loop.

hmm, thats strange, I always though Q3 uses hardware shaders....

have to go check at the dark-forge.com forums I guess...

Anyway, Im stuck using a sucky Geforce 5200fx 128mb (BLECH) until I scrounge up the cash to get a new mobo (I recently got a PCI-E card as a gift...but wouldnt ya know it...IM ON AGP STILL)

Yes, on that card you can forget hardware shaders. The low end GF 5x00 series is notorious for bad hardware shader performance.