Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
z34chris

Doom/Doom2 maps in same wad

I understand that the LMP's that make up the maps for Doom 1, and Doom 2 can both be placed in the same wad file. My question is: will it work? This way I could make one wad and have it play in both environments.

I dont see why it wouldnt work...

In fact, it might be interesting to have two separate but similar storylines depending on which game you play it in!

(like Doom1 is the prologue, and Doom2 has the "current" events, or somtm like that)

But I wonder what would happen if you tryed to add custom textures...

XWE has a habbit of only placing Doom2 patch names after a texture is added (I had trouble with that when I was making a doom1 mappack...)

Anyway, aside from texture difficulties (may quite possibly be fixable), I dont see why two different gametypes wouldnt work!

Good luck!

that has been successfully done: the freedoom iwad contains lumps for a running version of doom1 and doom2

Dave Chess used SLIGE, which he wrote, to generate a particularly demon-and-spectre-heavy map, then modified it to look a little less machine-generated and improve the gameplay. Along the way he managed to get it to run under both Doom and Doom II by using only common textures and putting both E1M1 and MAP01 in the WAD file before the map data. I always thought that was kind of clever:

http://members.aol.com/dmchess/nickdoom.html#PAMPLONA

dwspd003 contained 9 Doom2 maps (01-09) and 1 for Doom (e2m7), with no problems. It contained only maps though, so there was no scope for resource conflicts.

I seem to remember some old "dual purpose" maps from the archive and Maximum doom which contained E1M1 and Map01 so people with either game could play through 5 huge square rooms full of BFG's and barrels with a spider mastermind at the end surrounded by invincibility spheres. But again those only had maps