Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

D!Zone Gold

Does anyone know how to install Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay? It seems like you have to merge the files, but I'm running windows XP.

Any ideas?

(I respond assuming that you legally own Hell-2-Pay and Perdition's gate, despite the fact that D!Gold itself was illegal or so I heard...)

Generally speaking, you don't need to do any merging starting with vanilla doom v1.9 and any source port: the merging was necessary before v1.9 because of an early engine limitation that didn't allow for replacement sprites to be read from PWADs, and required you to modify your IWAD, something tedious.

So, at least with the above Doom engines you don't need to do any kind of merging, just load all the separate PWADs containing sounds/sprites/graphics and it should work all right. This is valid for ANY add-on using sprites/graphics and requiring "merging".

So just load any .wad file you can find with the addons, and you should be ok.

fraggle said:

Have you tried dosbox?

I just did. I thought D!Zone Gold came with the full versions of perdition's gate and hell to pay?

No it comes with the demo version. Having played both you are not missing anything after the demo maps end though, and thats assuming you enjoyed what you already played.

Maes said:

Generally speaking, you don't need to do any merging starting with vanilla doom v1.9 and any source port: the merging was necessary before v1.9 because of an early engine limitation that didn't allow for replacement sprites to be read from PWADs, and required you to modify your IWAD, something tedious.

No. With 1.9 you still need to merge, though there is no need to change the iwad: you can merge the necessary stuff from the iwad into the pwad using deusf. The command-line for this is, e.g.:

deusf -app blahblah.wad

With ports, this normally isn't necessary.

Yes, d!zone gold only had the same demo versions (11 levels and 15 levels) that were and still are available for download.

[Please note that asking for full versions would be viewed as a warez request. And I am fed up of this topic coming up and people doing so, BTW.]

They were illegal modifications anyway. Getting pissed off over a "commercial" product which violated the Doom Data Utility License in the first place is a little off kilter isn't it?

Quasar said:
They were illegal modifications anyway. Getting pissed off over a "commercial" product which violated the Doom Data Utility License in the first place is a little off kilter isn't it?

Their legality is really between the developers/publishers and id, and not up to you. In any case, you have two options; either accept the copyright requests of the authors (only commercial distribution), or else ignore and delete or ban the files because you consider them illegal. In other words, you can't link to the (full version) files either because you have to pay the authors to get them, or because they are altogether illegal unless their copyright or license is changed.