Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tormentor667

/idgames fed with screenshots?

Okay, firstv at all I have to admit that the /idgames archive php site (doomworld.com/idgames) is the greatest thing since the invention of Doom :P But something I really think it is missing are screenshots of each wad, let's say just like at WIP, 3 screenshots per map contributed by the community itself. What do you think about that?

I always thought it would be great to see some shots of some wads online there before I start downloading it and I often didn't download anything because missing "previews".

I have no idea if this is possible and if anyone else is interested in this as well but... I just though I should throw this in :)

I guess it could have a system similar to the comments mechanism, where people would upload their screen shots of the wad. If it were done it would probably be better if the shots weren't viewable immediately, so that the page could still load easily (plus it would help people that don't want to spoil visual surprises until they play). You'd just click on the "screen shots" link if you wanted to see them.

Of course, in addition to coding it in and setting it up, it would probably also add the need for a lot more maintenance and moderation, because while the comments can be abused, and thus have a report system, abuses with graphic files tend to be much worse (including goatse and such).

No good idea at all. Why need screenshots when you're one click away from the file? Just go play the wad. I wouldn't want the database to be cluttered with potentially useless picture files. It occupies space. Newer wads have their /newstuff chronicles down, with pics on them. Older wads, if famous, may have pics of their own elsewhere. Older but less famous wads may not have any screenshots, but you can play them, right? You might like to make a separate database (I wouldn't like this in doomworld.com/idgames really) in case you're really interested in having a wad picture database, especially better 'cause it will be well moderated. Personally, I'd just download the file.

I would like to, but the downsides are just too great. No one is going to want to approve every single screenshot people submit, it would be way too much labor.

The only way I would do it is if I had a utility that would automatically take pictures of a) the automap of the first level in any WAD and b) automatically take a screenshot from the player1 start in the first level. This way it could be largely automated.

Sort of related to what printz said, how about including a field for a link to the relevant edition of the /newstuff chronicles in the .wad info? It could perhaps go inbetween "bugs" and "rating".

Linguica said:

The only way I would do it is if I had a utility that would automatically take pictures of a) the automap of the first level in any WAD and b) automatically take a screenshot from the player1 start in the first level. This way it could be largely automated.

Since some wads require secondary files to work, as well as specific ports, settings, quirks, that ain't easy. Taking automap pictures might spoil any surprises the level has to offer; I wouldn't want that to happen...

As of 22nd April 2007: Maybe a Doom-foreign tool, such as Doom Builder, could take screenshots without worrying about compatibility, showing ?'s where necessary.

Not a very bad idea, tormentor667, bu i think can only one screenshot will be good, but this willl slow the page loading from slow internet connections imho....

Sad if it won't happen... sure... if you already visited the idgames archive, you are only one click away from the file, but - don't know if its only me - I'd like to take a look at some screenshots first. But I do as well understand the problems that were caused by this. Well.. what about special trustful persons maintaining and organizing screenshots?

Linguica said:

words words

Web 2.0 standards have had this kind of auto-micro-managed user-generated content for a while. IDGames could have a contribution system that rates members as well as the stuff they submit. If you went to a WAD page you'd see the highest-rated review (hopefully rated for accuracy), and the highest-rated screenshot. More info would be available via postback.

That'll happen the day they let us upload images and attachments. In other words, never. Too much bandwidth, and every screenshot would have to be reviewed by a moderator to stop spam and general dumbness. I don't blame them for not wanting to mess with it. Plus you can always put screenies in the .zip file. Just download it and see for yerself.

Yay, so this way small .wads will have screenshots larger than the map itself (unless we revert to 320*200 *.gif or something). Plus they would have to be in every idgames mirror, not just in one as an external service.

How about just downloading the maps, playing then and then deciding? Worked for me ;-)

I guess Tormentor667 wants to take a quick look at many maps, without spending 5 minutes to find the proper ports or whatever (I'm guessing he's not looking for vanilla Doom map pictures).
Good Internet connection -- no time with doomworld.com/idgames browsing -- justifies this.

Linguica said:

I would like to, but the downsides are just too great. No one is going to want to approve every single screenshot people submit, it would be way too much labor.

You could tie it to the forums registration system and just ban anyone that uploads bad images.

Almost all of the idgames reviews have screenshots. It would be nice to link those to the files at least.

Linguica said:

The only way I would do it is if I had a utility that would automatically take pictures of a) the automap of the first level in any WAD

Wad 2 pdf?

skadoomer said:

PDF files tend to have somewhat larger filesizes than regular screenshots, but besides that, they're hardly practical in this context. By the time the reader has finished loading, you could have downloaded the map and played through half of it already.

Yeah that's the other thing, a couple of jpegs could easily be larger than the WAD file they depict.

Linguica said:

Yeah that's the other thing, a couple of jpegs could easily be larger than the WAD file they depict.

PNG format :-P

Depending on the size of the wad, 3 8-bit 640x480 .png files could be larger that the zip download.