Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Purp

Sonic Music Copyright ?

Does anyone know anything about the rights for the music in Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive / Genesis? I'm asking because I want to put this game (that my friend made in uni) on my site, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to because the game has the Green Hill Zone music as it's background tune.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure the pacman rip-off is legal but I expect that'll be ok.

If it's illegal to put the game on my site because of the music, is there anyone here that could hack it and remove the music for me? I have no idea how to do it.

Ah right, thanks. That's kind of what I thought, but I don't really want to put anything illegal on my site at all.

So, plan B: can anyone decompile the game and cut the music from it or something? First person to send me a copy that works just the same but has no music (or alternate music that's legal) get's £5 through PayPal! LOL

I remember a Doom 2 megawad where The Ultimate Doomer (yes thats his name) got permission from Sega to use their music and sounds in his project Super Sonic Doom.

Cool, I might try that if no-one can change it for me.

Forgot to say in the previous posts that it has to be hacked because the writer no longer has the source files from Game Maker, as they were lost when the computer they were on died.

The Sonic theme was written and composed by "Dreams Come True" (jpop band) and the rest of the music was composed by Masato Nakamura of Sega Japan. You'll have no problem using them as long as it's non profit.

using official music is an extremely common practice in fangames, i've yet to see anything bad come of it though (seems people care much more about ripped graphics though those practically never cause legal trouble either)

Ah, what the hell, I'll just stick it on there anyway and if people complain I'll take it down. Reckon it's safe to put it on Download.com with the other downloads on my site? I suppose they can always remove it if someone doesn't like it.

What does everyone think of the game anyway? There are quite a few bugs in it, but it's fun to play. I think my mate just made it cos he was bored at uni - he didn't do any computer courses or anything.

Edit: Pacman's Insane Headache

TECHNICALLY all unauthorised use of somebody else's material that isn't under a free-use licence is illegal until (depending on where you are/who you ask) 50,75 or 100 years after the death of the original author. Which is why things like Frankenstien's monster and Count Dracula now get into everything. Some companies can 'renew' copyrights in some way (you can't use Mickey Mouse or Batman for instance), but as Sonic came out in 1991 that won't matter for a while yet.

REALISTICALLY, using some ripped MIDI's in a fangame downloadable from the 'net for free will be completley ignored