Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

EDGE 1.29 RC5 Released

Release Candidate #5 for the source port EDGE 1.29 is now available for testing from the EDGE site. The two most significant changes are: (1) replacing the OpenAL sound system with new SDL-based sound code, and (2) much improved BOOM compatibility. Plus of course lots of bugs fixed. Here's the full changelog.

You just gotta admire all that work people are willing to do for this old game. It'll never stop amazing me...

There was an RC4? or was that internal only?

I hope the "sound multiplication" feature has been kept, it made my Storm Demon sound awesome...

hmm, well the sound multiplication is still there, however...

1: Sounds no longer get quiter with distance, you can hear those imps you shot with a rocket from a mile away as if they where next to you

2: Sounds stop playing when the sprite does, which ruins the storm demon's lighting which is supposed to echo for ages afterwards

I'd post this on the EDGE forum but it is unusable. Sourceforge isn't designed for people runnine IE under Windows...

deathbringer said:

Sourceforge isn't designed for people runnine IE under Windows...

How about installing a real browser...? ;)

Updated Doomworlds links, but had to remove the source download link as I could not find the source of this version (the SVN is mentioned though). Also, what happend to the linux versions? Stuck at 1.27?

Well, it's still just an RC but I assume that when the full 1.29 gets here Andrew will package up the source.

And yes, the last Linux binary of EDGE was 1.27 (although I have a EDGE 1.28a binary somewhere if anyone is really interested). I once asked the same quesion and was told that the problem is it can't be guaranteed that "the required libraries will be available, nor can we simply bundle the libraries with (or even inside of) the EDGE binary. That's the #1 problem with Linux".
However, I know that Andrew does his dev work on a Linux setup, so maybe a linux binary could be released for 1.29 final (especially now that the sound code has been changed over to SDL). But Andrew is the one who can answer that.

Source code: I didn't bother for this RC, but the full release will have it of course, and there is always the SVN repository.

Linux binary: I'll probably make one for the 1.29 full release, likely some time after since I need to finish rewriting the Humidity library to get MUS/MIDI music playback. As Lobo said, linux binaries tend to be very specific to the distribution you build it on, I wouldn't be surprised if the binary I use on Ubuntu Breezy Badger fails to work on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, and that's the same damn distribution. Statically linking some of the libs should help.

1: Sounds no longer get quiter with distance, you can hear those imps you shot with a rocket from a mile away as if they where next to you

Works for me. With OpenAL, the sound volume dropped off much more quickly than the current code (which is similar to the original DOOM attenuation). Maybe that is it?

2: Sounds stop playing when the sprite does, which ruins the storm demon's lighting which is supposed to echo for ages afterwards

Objects are the source of sound, so it doesn't make much sense for sounds to continue when the object is removed.

I plan to fix the code to keep removed objects "in limbo" for a few seconds so their death sounds can finish playing. But if you want a really long sound to play, you should fix the sprite frames in DDF so the object hits #REMOVE after the sound is finished (can use the NULL sprite to make sure it's invisible).

Ahh, i could just MAKEDEAD and add a null sprite that lasts for 10 seconds or so, then the object will still be "there" but invisible and untouchable...

I re-experimented with the sound fading at a distance (the "imp a mile away" was a sliiight exaggeration) and it is actually more like original doom. I had just gotten too used to the old EDGE versions