Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xbolt

How do I compile Chocolate Doom under Windows?

That was directed at Quasar, nit Fraggle. If he feels the need to use it he should at least try to fix it himself.

I know I would if I actually wanted to compile Chocolate Doom.

Graf Zahl said:

I'd have to install some crap first that I neither need nor want to install.

Exactly why I'm not interested in an MSVC build.

I don't own a copy of Visual Studio, I wouldn't want to waste money buying a copy because I wouldn't use it anyway. I know there's the "Express edition" which I have installed in the past and played with but as I recall it had some pretty big limitations on what you could do with it? (I forget the details now)

Even with cmake, there would still be the issue of different compilers (Microsoft's C compiler vs. gcc). It just saves me a lot of hassle to have a common environment and compiler that is the same on every platform. If that's not your cup of tea, fair enough. It's what works for me and I'm not really interested in changing it.

Getting a Chocolate Doom compile environment up and running in Cygwin is actually pretty straightforward. I really just need to get round to documenting the process at some point.

Graf Zahl said:

I use chocolate source only for debuging some incompatibilities. Current SVN sources can be 'fixed' easily in this respect :)

- &music_opl_module,
+ //&music_opl_module,

Who cares about warnings?

fraggle said:

I know there's the "Express edition" which I have installed in the past and played with but as I recall it had some pretty big limitations on what you could do with it? (I forget the details now)

The Express editions come without the Windows system headers so you'll need to install the Windows Platform SDK.

Aside from that it's perfectly fine for most projects. You'll have to do pretty weird stuff to require one of the commercial versions of the compiler.

All these considerations are not really relevant for me because I have a Standard Edition which I need for work.

Graf Zahl said:

That was directed at Quasar, nit Fraggle. If he feels the need to use it he should at least try to fix it himself.

I actually haven't even tried yet, I was only asking if it was known to have issues or not :) I've been too busy with EE work lately.

Graf Zahl said:

The Express editions come without the Windows system headers so you'll need to install the Windows Platform SDK.

Aside from that it's perfectly fine for most projects. You'll have to do pretty weird stuff to require one of the commercial versions of the compiler.

All these considerations are not really relevant for me because I have a Standard Edition which I need for work.

2005 had no Windows headers or libraries, you needed the SDK.
2008 DOES have all of the stuff you don't need an SDK (it installs the Windows 6 SDK thing).
not sure about 2010.