Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
emailking

Weird Vanilla Bug?

Sorry, wasn't sure where to put this. Move if appropriate.

I noticed something very odd from Xit's new ps04 record.
http://competn.doom2.net/incoming/compet-n/ps04-118.zip

At about 47 seconds seconds through, he goes through a long room with a lot of health bonuses. He clearly picks all of them up (can verify with a walkcam) and the health bonus message flashes. However, it is only until he has almost run all the way back to the lift that finally the display lights up from all of the bonuses. I have never seen anything like this before. It's really weird. When I try it to replicate it, the display lights up immediately. This seems to be the behavior in both vanilla and derived ports. Is this a bug? And if so was this known? I've never heard of this.

What port are you using?
I didn't see anything weird with Prboom-plus2.4.3.1 or the real game.

I used latest test version of prboom+, latest released prboom, eternity, and the real game. All showed this.

I see what you mean - it happens this way for me with plus, choc and vanilla (Doom2 and Final, running under DOSbox).

My random guess would be that the red-screen effect from the berserk is starting to wear off at this point, and the engine is giving that (i.e. the need to de-redden the display) priority over the bonus-pickup effect.

This is not the same situation when you quickly pickup a some quantity of items and then this flashing effect stays for long time? In example on TNT: Evilution MAP31 in room with exit to MAP32.

Grazza said:
My random guess would be that the red-screen effect from the berserk is starting to wear off at this point, and the engine is giving that (i.e. the need to de-redden the display) priority over the bonus-pickup effect.

Yeah, because when the berserk haze is active the yellowish pickup flash is not displayed at all.

c.imp said:
This is not the same situation when you quickly pickup a some quantity of items and then this flashing effect stays for long time?

It seems like it. It's when you pick up a lot of items quickly, like in the demo's case.

Alright I did some testing on CC2 map 24 where this is really easy. It's not that it's queuing up all the flashes it needs to do when the berserk finishes. It's that they are getting overwritten by the red tint. What were seeing here is the back end of the long light up after he picks up so many items. It would end at exactly the same time if he had not picked up the berserk, but we would have seen the whole thing. While I guess I can no longer characterize this as a bug because it seems intentional, it would seem to me that you could still have the screen light up when an item is picked up, even if berserk is on. The item tint is much stronger anyway as evidenced by the fact that it looks so bizarre the way it suddenly turns on like that.