Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm currently enjoying a 4 week holiday, heh. Once that's over, I go back to being a factory monkey. I assemble, test and calibrate gas fires. I've been there almost 2 years now, but only because I'm still completely clueless as to what I'd really like to do for a genuine career. Prior to that, I had a temporary sales assistant job at Gamestation.

My main priorities involve the execution of projects which aid others in the execution of their projects.

Danarchy said:

Plus I get free biscuits all day long.

You must have a high metabolism or that extra bulk ain't muscle.

Student about to graduate H.S, and was a cart attendent at Target till they fired me due to believing "I have no room to Improve". The very next day they were so many carts on the sides of the building. It makes me ponder how the replacement will do better than I can.

Iwash pot in a hopital kitchen. no one bugs me very much, I can take two lunch breaks any time I want cuz no one really checks up on me, and I get to listen to what ever I want. it's great work for a guy with two bad knees, a bad left shoulder, a slight, but sometimes painful, chest deformity, and a hernia that can pop any day now. oh yeah, and did I mention my right shoulder probably now has a muscle tear, and my hospital is under serious threat of closing? yeah... sounds fun, don't it?

DooMAD said:

I assemble, test and calibrate gas fires.

How do you assemble and calibrate a fire?

That's what I was wondering. My closest guess is that he sits there with like a blow torch and gets it to the right level. I also wonder how VileSlay washes pot, and what his hospital is doing with it in the first place.

Aleaver said:

Haha that should be my custom title..Can't Spell :P

Heh, good idea. Got it.

Danarchy said:

I also wonder how VileSlay washes pot, and what his hospital is doing with it in the first place.

I think he means he operates an iwash pot. Hospitals probably generate large enough amounts of dirty dishes that attempting to individually wash them all would be a waste of resources.

Right now, GUI programmer in Python for the Prefered Orientation Package from Los Alamos. Bringing FORTRAN from the eighties into current OSes.

UNIX Systems administrator for a UK University. Spend about 2/3 of my time maintaining existing services and 1/3 developing new ones.

I used to work for a printer company before I ended up as a labourer. Pretty boring job to be honest. What do you do there, Hobbs? Anything in particular?

Zaldron said:

Right now, GUI programmer in Python for the Prefered Orientation Package from Los Alamos. Bringing FORTRAN from the eighties into current OSes.

I envy you.

I had a couple of jobs with the Ministry of Defence (the first being budget/finance related, the second admin/HR), then spent 5 months as a technical courier. Currently I'm sponging off the state while looking for admin, HR, or customer service type work.

Incidentally, I once had a job that involved stapling pieces of paper together all day long. Fortunately, it only lasted two days.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

I used to work for a printer company before I ended up as a labourer. Pretty boring job to be honest. What do you do there, Hobbs? Anything in particular?

Absolutely everything, from prepress to press to postpress, depending on what the boss wants. For examples I've put together a menu for a local restaraunt, printed brochures, and put together a book after it was done printing (collating, cutting and the like), and in all those examples that was the only part of that job I was actually involved with. I am also the one that usually does the quick jobs like running someone 25 copies of this or 5 plan copies of that or whatever. It would probably be very boring indeed if we didn't always have twice as much work as we are capable of doing realistically at any one time.

NiGHTMARE said:

Incidentally, I once had a job that involved stapling pieces of paper together all day long. Fortunately, it only lasted two days.

wow. that's like my old job. i used to put stamps on gardening magazines for a local plant nursery

Student. But I'm searching like hell to find any remedial job to kill four month worth of summer.

And I also need the money........and so I don't look like such a bum infront of my well paid friends.

Danarchy said:

I also wonder how VileSlay washes pot, and what his hospital is doing with it in the first place.

LOL, thats what happens when you type too fast while your tired and don't bother to proofread. I misspelled hospital as well. maybe I caught the "Aleavercantspell" virus :P I wash pots and pans by hand. all the crap that they use to prepare and serve the food for the patients and the cafeteria. you should see how much food I throw away on a nightly basis.

Linguica said:

How do you assemble and calibrate a fire?

For most of the fires we make, you start with a metal burner tray. A jet holder, containing a jet which regulates the flow of gas into the fire, is attached to the tray (forgetting to insert a jet into the jet holder usually results in flames being about three feet higher than they should be, heh). A metal pipe is attached to the jet holder. This pipe connects to a valve (the bit with the ignition knob). The valve is attached to the tray with a bracket. A second smaller pipe goes from the valve to the pilot, which is attached to the tray with screws. An insulated wire goes from the valve to the pilot, which carries the spark from the ignition. One example looks like this:

As for testing and calibrating, a rubber pipe is connected to the valve, through which gas flows into the fire. A screw is temporarily removed from the jet holder and a second rubber pipe is attached to that. This pipe connects to a manometer, which is used to measure gas pressure. The fire is then ignited. The valve has two screws in it, which can be adjusted to calibrate the gas pressure. Finally, the fires are checked for leaks with a small open flame from a third rubber tube.

Here's an example of a fire being calibrated:

Bloodskull said:

Student about to graduate H.S, and was a cart attendent at Target till they fired me due to believing "I have no room to Improve". The very next day they were so many carts on the sides of the building. It makes me ponder how the replacement will do better than I can.

Yeah,I sling carts at walmart.At least they didn't give you a fancy job title like walmart does.They call us Courtesy Associates at that hell hole and lately me and 4 others have conspired to quit on the same day.Hopefully comcast or Vanderbilt will call me with a job offer here soon.

I work at pizza hut as a cross-trained cook/waiter. It depends on my shifts which type of work I'll do. I like that job because it gives a lot of time for creativity due to short shifts varying from 4 hours to 7 hours (sometimes for the whole day though). We send the restaurant staff manager our shift wishes every 3 weeks. He takes into account those wishes and creates new lists for the team. I don't even spend so much money that it would be too tight to live for me if I don't get the same amount of money each month. Besides that I used to work also as a dj at some local clubs around where I live. Nice little extra payed straight to the hand after the night is very nice sometimes.

The most important thing is that there is enough time for writing music & designing levels. :)

VileSlay said:

maybe I caught the "Aleavercantspell" virus :P

Yes, that is quite possible. Worst thing is, its true, I was never a good speller. For me, to know alot of big words is one thing, but to spell them is another. But I digress...

darknation said:

I wipe arses.

Ha! I met people who used to work at old folk's homes. Because they were black the elderly threw faeces at them, called them niggers and were generally uncooperative.

In retaliation they locked themselves, with the oldies, in the toilet and force fed them while beating them with the cutlery and trays.

I hope this helps.

Student, but for the summer I'm working at the local amusement park. Should be pretty easy.