Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

EDIT: Hell over here IS complete!

I have bin working on a map for some time now and decided to post what i have made so far to get some feedback. I would like it if you would give my your apinons (sorry for the bad english)

in doom3 open the console and type: map hell_over_here

EDIT: The map is finished and has bin released on the internet!
The map has bin getting good reviews, See here:

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Hell_Over_Here;79395

It looks like a screenshot for either of the four Doom3 maps that came out a week after its release.

Um, my main advice would be to work on the architecture to make everything look complex and 'busy'. Just basically use the existing Doom3 levels as an example of how they bulk up the rooms with piping, grating, furniture and gadgets to make everything more atmospheric. But also remember to make it all balanced: If you put a lot of detal into the ceiling, you also have to make sure you put just as much into the lower half of the room, and try to use the lighting in both a dynamic, and usefull way.

Good advice, I agree and aside from being a little bare, doesn't look too bad.

Coopersville said:

It looks like a screenshot for either of the four Doom3 maps that came out a week after its release.

Um, my main advice would be to work on the architecture to make everything look complex and 'busy'. Just basically use the existing Doom3 levels as an example of how they bulk up the rooms with piping, grating, furniture and gadgets to make everything more atmospheric. But also remember to make it all balanced: If you put a lot of detal into the ceiling, you also have to make sure you put just as much into the lower half of the room, and try to use the lighting in both a dynamic, and usefull way.

good advice, but did you do anything else than just look at the screenshots? I did not only post what i have made so that people could tell my whether the map is pretty or not. Gameplay is important to,you know.

EDIT: Speaking on gameplay, i almost forgot that one of the biggest reasons i wanted feedback is becouse there are a few things on the map i am not sure whether to keep or change. Like the cinamatics and the hallway secense.

I had a quick run through your map. The cutscenes are quite cool!
I will post some more feedback later (gameplay is a bit unbalanced etc.).

Okay, some feedback on gameplay.

-Think about weapon balance. It´s okay to have weak weapons in the beginning, but make sure the player doesn´t have to fight strong monsters with weak weapons, and that there is enough ammo. Fighting a Zombie Commando with only a pistol is certainly not fun, just tedious.
So far I only found the pistol in your map, you should at least include a shotgun.
-Make sure that either the player get´s a flashlight at the beginning of the map, or that all critical parts of the map are well lit.
-Never let spawn monsters out of thin air (I´m talking about the "lights out, zombies in" corridor scene). It feels unrealistic and is more frustrating then fun when you don´t have a chance to avoid getting hit. Generally the hallway scene is cool, but you should let the zombies in through doors (also to give the player some time to fight back) and give the player a chainsaw or shotgun at this point.

I played the level until the second cutscene, I guess it is planned to continue after that point, or did I miss where to go next?

On the looks:
-Lights need a visible light source, without it looks unrealistic. In most rooms of your map the light is just there without any visble source.
-The detailing and architecture in your level is actually not bad, but where you could improve is texturing. In some places there is too much tiling of small textures, or spots where the textures don´t fit very well. Also, don´t use the "fit" function if the brush is too large for the texture, or the texture will look blurry (for example in the airlock right at the beginning).

The ambient sound is good and the layout also works fine so far. I think the level will turn out good if you polish and work on the monsters / weapons balance.

Tetzlaff said:

Okay, some feedback on gameplay.

-Think about weapon balance. It´s okay to have weak weapons in the beginning, but make sure the player doesn´t have to fight strong monsters with weak weapons, and that there is enough ammo. Fighting a Zombie Commando with only a pistol is certainly not fun, just tedious.
So far I only found the pistol in your map, you should at least include a shotgun.
-Make sure that either the player get´s a flashlight at the beginning of the map, or that all critical parts of the map are well lit.
-Never let spawn monsters out of thin air (I´m talking about the "lights out, zombies in" corridor scene). It feels unrealistic and is more frustrating then fun when you don´t have a chance to avoid getting hit. Generally the hallway scene is cool, but you should let the zombies in through doors (also to give the player some time to fight back) and give the player a chainsaw or shotgun at this point.

I played the level until the second cutscene, I guess it is planned to continue after that point, or did I miss where to go next?

On the looks:
-Lights need a visible light source, without it looks unrealistic. In most rooms of your map the light is just there without any visble source.
-The detailing and architecture in your level is actually not bad, but where you could improve is texturing. In some places there is too much tiling of small textures, or spots where the textures don´t fit very well. Also, don´t use the "fit" function if the brush is too large for the texture, or the texture will look blurry (for example in the airlock right at the beginning).

The ambient sound is good and the layout also works fine so far. I think the level will turn out good if you polish and work on the monsters / weapons balance.

Thank you, and i before i read this i had already done some of the things you talked about. Oh! And the reason for the unbalanced weapons
is that i like to make the level itself before going to decide just where to put things like health,ammo,weapons and such couse it allows
me to focus on other factors first, there is now a shotgun on the place where the monsters are in those glass cages. And some more ammo
for the pistol since you would run out of ammo for it almost right away. There are also some other changes but you will have to wait for
the fynal version to find out what that is! But i will tell you that there is some story going to be involved using pda's to tell the player what happened. I aim to make my project:

Cool+Scary+Funny=Fun!

I may(will probably) post some screenshots in the future,
stay posted!

hardcore_gamer said:

I aim to make my project: Cool+Scary+Funny=Fun!

Indeed, it is!
A lot of effort went into this level and it was worth it I think, because the level is well designed and all the rooms look different to each other… I also like “Hell Over Here Part 2”, but it is a bit too short. Try to make “Hell Over Here Part 3” as big as part 1 and it would be great!