Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Scet

Doomsday models in Voxel form

Hi, I've been working on a voxel editing program for the last couple days. Anyway I added the ability to convert MD2 models to voxels(an empty voxel shell) and thought I'd try to convert a few Doomsday models.

The import function needs some refinement so most of them didn't turn out very well, it depends on the size of the MD2 model. Here are the best ones:

I know some of them look just like the polygonal meshes, they lose a lot of their voxel look when using still images.

If anyone feels like toying around with the editor I can send it to you. It's only a few days old though and you'll need .Net 2.0 and MDX 1.1 installed.

Here's a screenshot of the editor:

(damn image limit, upgrade from the stone age you 56k losers)

While I'd say voxels would make more sense starting from the sprites (as in the voxel project), I don't think you can get any good results from those models in particular. Maybe the newer ones made by DaniJ might work as a base (though I don't see the point there; just use the models directly).

Scet said:

(damn image limit, upgrade from the stone age you 56k losers)

It's done for a reason, loser.

Well it's not supposed to be useful, I just like the look of voxels. Of course using these would be inefficent compared to using the MD2 models, at least for hardware rendering, I don't know how they would perform in software.

It's done for a reason, loser.

So what's the reson then? People with connections from 1994? I don't consider that a good reason, it holds everyone else back.

If you could mess with a voxel program in a way to make usable voxel sprites out of the 2D sprites that would be so fucking awesome. I intensely dislike the 3d models, I think they look ridiculously out of place. But voxelized doom monsters would let them work properly in a true-3d port.

Scet said:

So what's the reson then? People with connections from 1994? I don't consider that a good reason, it holds everyone else back.

Well I'm sure you wouldn't consider it a good reason would you, if you yourself don't have a slower connection? The image limits surely shouldn't cater for just your needs now, should they? As Use said, they're there for a reason, and to be honest I quite frankly hate having to trawl through threads with countless huge images. While it may not affect my connection that much, it makes it hard to read.

On-topic: voxels are underrated, though I'm not sure that reproducing voxels from the md2 models gives such great results. Maybe used as a base they could be effective though.

Linguica said:

If you could mess with a voxel program in a way to make usable voxel sprites out of the 2D sprites that would be so fucking awesome. I intensely dislike the 3d models, I think they look ridiculously out of place. But voxelized doom monsters would let them work properly in a true-3d port.

I don't like the models either, but I wanted to show off the model import feature and being a Doom fan decided to use them.

As far as buliding off the sprites, the editor has the ability to paste images along planes.

The best you're get for the monsters though is just one or two images to build of off since most of their sprites don't seem to align at all. Even if I made something to make them 3D based on a pixels brightness it would fall apart on attack sprites due to their highlighting.

It would work well for the other sprites though, especially the single frame ones. For cubic ones, paste the whole picture twice on the Z plane and then edit it to fill in the other sides. For spheres, once on the XY plane and then again on the ZY plane, you'd have to fill in the rest manually though.

For example here's a berserk pack I just made using just the one sprite and some copying/pasteing:

Yeah it's just a cube, but it would be easier to add detail from were instead of making the whole thing from scratch.

zarkyb said:

stuff

About the 56k stuff, I think it should be at a mods discretion, or have the forum actually calculate the images sizes. To me this would be better than some fixed limit of ten images.

Scet said:

About the 56k stuff, I think it should be at a mods discretion, or have the forum actually calculate the images sizes.

It does. Edit some of the pictures together if you want more in one post.

Anyway, if it'll help performance, I'd be all about voxels.