1. 1. Block Sound?

• Kicks
    • Sucks

Linguica said:

I remember how pissed I was when I found out it doesn't actually block sound

Yeah, same here :|

Linguica said:

I remember how pissed I was when I found out it doesn't actually block sound

What do you mean, that the player can still hear sounds coming from the other side of a block sound line? Because it certainly does block monsters from hearing sounds...if you use two of them.

Bloodshedder said:
What do you mean, that the player can still hear sounds coming from the other side of a block sound line?

I remember thinking that "block sound" would block sounds from reaching the player when I first came across it in an editor.

Eternity has something remotely similar, though it hell doesn't work like block sound. When are we gonna have walls that block sounds as in real life??!! The only game I have that shows something remotely similar is Descent, but only if there's a door?

Block sound is meh, too annoying to get working in a way which is genuinely useful.

It only really works for simple stuff.

There have been times when I needed to use block sound and found it to be very useful to block monsters from hearing the player...

Use it properly and it works great. I use it all the time. As mentioned above it does require two lines to completely block the sounds, and every window, door etc must be blocked or it won't work. Anywhere sound can "Leak" from must be blocked. But it works great.

Edit:typo

I rarely use it most of the time I put in deaf monsters, it took me a while to figure out that you had to use two block sound lines.But sometimes the design of my maps is so complicated that going through all that effort to make sure a few monsters cannot hear you would not be worth it so I just make them deaf.

I should use this technique more often though, I think when they are used wisely they can give your map more gameplay fun.

Those who use block sound alot, Make sure not to place monsters with their back at you.

I think it's very useful, but you must know where to use it, or it turns into a poor variant of the deaf/ambush flag.

Yeah, I have no idea why this doesn't work. Is there a certain way you have to apply it?

I have about 3 or 4 lines that have Block Sound applied, but none of them work. I hate killing a guy and then open a door and have like 20 guys from all over the map in front of me.

1. You have doors or windows not flagged with block sound.
2. You're not putting two block sound linedefs between the player and the monsters.
3. You scrambled some sectors so sound is seeping inside.

you need two block sound lines to completely stop monsters from hearing.

^yes, unclosed sectors or clones are another big cause

Cloned sectors are a great way to wake up the monsters in the monster caches to ready them for the teleport traps.

You have a couple of other options:

Set the monsters deaf so they don't move until they see you.

OR

Use monster block lines in your doors so they don't come out of each room they are in. However, if they can't get out of the room they become easy pickin for someone that realizes they can't get out of the room so use it sparingly.

Edit:typo

Like people have said above: you need two 'block sound' linedefs to prevent monsters from hearing the player. Also important: sound propagates from sector to sector. A sector that has been splitted still counts as 1 sector when it comes to sound propagation, even if the two parts are not physically connected.

It's useful if you know how to use it. I remember I was getting really pissed when I first tried to use it, because it didn't seem to work. (I ended up just using the block monster line def to keep the enemies from walking through the door).