Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BASGTA

Help With My Map

I've been using Doom Builder for about a day now, I've been working on this one single player map for a day now.

The map is not done, it's not even close of being done. I just want some feedback, and maybe some ideas on what to do next since I'm fresh out of ideas.

Known Bugs: The textures on the left door track, the textures on the left of the stairs, and the switch doesn't work.

I've used Dr.Sleeps guide for a few things, but it's tricky using them while working on a different map, since it sometimes says things like "Right click linedef 23."

Mirror 1 - Mediafire.
Mirror 2 - Rapidshare.

the download link doesn't work,but from the doombuilder view,I'd say it's way better than my first map :)

If only the link would work I could help you an bit :), looking at the mapshot its quite clear that this is one of your first maps but thats cool I give you credit for trying to map for doom its not easy when you first start out.

Looks like that map is better than my first map as well :p

Perhaps it's a bit too early to ask for help or ideas. You said it yourself, one day is barely enough experience. As for inspiration...an easy thing would be to copy some real places like your school/office/neighborhood, for a start.

Many urban environments and buildings have interesting architectures hidden in them, try to get some inspiration from there.

That's weird, I uploaded the map to my Mediafire account. Oh well, about an hour or two after this map I finished.

Mirror 1 - Mediafire.
Mirror 2 - Rapidshare.

I actually played it now...well, it was a decent, challenging map, although short (3 minutes for 100% of everything). Perhaps try to make it last longer by adding more areas. Layout and style are OK.

However, you need to fix several blatant mapping errors such as single-sided linedefs with a back side, and several unclosed sectors. Those may look really broken in certain source port (ZDoom looked fine, though).

It seems you tried to throw in a lot of manual sector editing, especially in stairs/corners, which is very DoomBuilder-unfriendly. Try getting more familiar with the way DoomBuilder handles sectors.

Yeah it's really short. I died a few times at the hell knights. I started a new map just to try and get the hang of Doom Builder. Later on when I'm comfortable with Doom Builder I'll make a version 2.

I had no idea how to fix the sector errors so I didn't bother, and I only played the map on zDoom so I was unaware of any errors in game.

I'm happy to say this 2nd map I'm making has no errors so far. :D

Some tips for fixing: press "F4" in boombuilder, and click on highlighted errors on the list. I'd say start from "single-sided linedefs with a back side".

Those are usually the "outer boundary" of your map, but depends on your mapping style/engine limitations. In any case, as the name implies, there should be no back side defined (e.g. the "double sided" flag should be blank, and there should be no back side. If there is a back side, remove it by unchecking it.

Also, check sector references. If selecting a bunch of linedefs makes them highlight as an unclosed sector, you can either choose to "close it" manually (adding extra linedefs) or tweak the sector references so they point to e.g. the corridor those linedefs actually are part of.

Unfortunately Boombuilder is a bit clumsy when it comes to manual edits.

For example: if, by manual sector tweaking, you make a sector number unused, then you won't be able to build the nodes unless you save/reload your map (and you will receive an "unused sector(s) removed" message.

In general, try to get familiar with the way DoomBuilder EXPECTS to handle sector splitting/joining, else it's very easy to turn a map into an editor's nightmare.

heh,now it's definitely better than my first map. fun to play,fun to watch,a good map for a small coffee break.

farhaven

btw.: if you want the doortracks not to scroll when the doors open,set the "lower texture unpegged" flag on the line's first sidedef