Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

There is a Chex Quest fan forum and it has way too many posts

This topic kind of changed from talking about the Chex Quest Fan Forums to "What happened to REoL?"

1.) REoL was booted from New DooM years ago.

2.) Yes. There is a surprisingly healthy community based on Chex Quest. I am proud to say that my project, The Ultimate Chex Quest, has had something to do with it, although I have to say that the most promising project based on Chex Quest is Chex Trek, a remake / reimagining of Chex Quest based on the DooM 3 engine.

Hey, do those guys know of Chex Quest III? I was going to make maps for that but got busy doing other stuff when it came time to. :/

And yeah, Chex Quest contains the entire Doom IWAD IIRC. So technically they were giving it away for free, just I don't think they were supposed to.

Haha I like how they think that I find their community some sort of personal affront

Wow, I wonder why the author of the topic was so peeved at us......

The guys mad because he knows DooM can't take the heat from us!

And he's all pissy that a game that was sort of a promotional rip off of Doom is faring better forum-wise.

I just find it very strange that an 11 year old promotional vehicle for a brand of cereal still has an active fanbase. And I thought I was weird for running a website about a 14 year old game that was actually really famous and popular back in the day.

It's hard to believe a 13 1/2 year old game like DooM still has a fanbase, or that there is still an active Wolfenstein 3D community after 15 years.

Heck! Shouldn't Pac Man be dead and buried by now?

If people enjoy the game, then it will continue to live. There is nothing wrong with that.

The thing is that nowadays game devs concentrate so much on beefing up the graphics (of course, that ain't all bad) that they fail to create good gameplay to go with it. Many people are returning to the classics. Back then, since graphics weren't the main focus, the gameplay got interesting. The fact that you can get many of the old games free helps the movement, too. I'm not saying that the new games are all bad, but the old ones are also very entertaining. :)

... it's chex quest... it came in a cereal box... called chex... and it's a quest... what's the big deal?

In their defence, Chex Quest actually had better (albeit more cartoony) textures than Doom. I actually had like 2-3 copies of the game cause I was big on eating Chex around the time it came out. Still have one somewhere...

Danarchy said:

Hey, do those guys know of Chex Quest III? I was going to make maps for that but got busy doing other stuff when it came time to. :/

And yeah, Chex Quest contains the entire Doom IWAD IIRC. So technically they were giving it away for free, just I don't think they were supposed to.

I know of Chex Quest III, it looked promising, too bad it's dead...

Linguica said:

I just find it very strange that an 11 year old promotional vehicle for a brand of cereal still has an active fanbase. And I thought I was weird for running a website about a 14 year old game that was actually really famous and popular back in the day.

Copy what Boingo said. If it's fun, people will play it. (And technically, it's 10.5 years old, but you're close)

hey, i coulda told you about that a looong time ago...