Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaechireon

DECORATE problem

I've been working on a map (GZDoom), and its not been too long, and trying to learn DECORATE. When I finished up the DECORATE things I was done with and test ran the map, it told me floatbob and spawnceiling are unknown actor properties. I was wondering what I did wrong. Or whether GZDoom has DECORATE compatibility issues.

I think it would help if you posted your code.
Make sure you place your flags before the states declaration.
Also don't forget to set flags with a plus or minus, like:
+FLOATBOB

And make sure you're using the latest version of ZDoom.

I thought I saw a few DECORATE lumps with flags and no plus, but whatever. Now I have this problem of the SPAWNCEILING flag not taking effect. There was a seperate thing with FLOATBOB and that worked.

Thanks Scientist. I got another problem, its with replacement. I have browsed through several wads using DECORATE, and saw some of these actors replace the original one. I tried plunking it as

actor ExitThing : Decoration replaces Techlamp2 86

actor ExitThing replaces Techlamp2 86

actor ExitThing replaces Techlamp2

Actor ExitThing : Decoration replaces Techlamp2

But only when I put it as

actor ExitThing : Decoration 5555

will it work. But I don't want to create a new thing, I just want to replace a current thing, which I can't seem to do.

There are a number of ways to code this. Here's one:

You need to redefine the Techlamp2 properties you want to change.
example code:

ExitThing
{
DoomEdNum 86
Sprite EXIT
Frames AABBCCDDCCBB
}

This will is assuming you want to replace the techlamp sprite frames with your own. In the example above they are replaced with sprite frames named EXITA to D

By giving your exit thing the same DoomEdNum as the original TechLamp the exit thing properties will overwrite those of the techlamp.

You can even have it fire at you or die when shot.

Xaechireon said:

Thanks Scientist. I got another problem, its with replacement. I have browsed through several wads using DECORATE, and saw some of these actors replace the original one. I tried plunking it as

actor ExitThing : Decoration replaces Techlamp2 86

actor ExitThing replaces Techlamp2 86

actor ExitThing replaces Techlamp2

Actor ExitThing : Decoration replaces Techlamp2

But only when I put it as

actor ExitThing : Decoration 5555

will it work. But I don't want to create a new thing, I just want to replace a current thing, which I can't seem to do.

The problem is simple: Your version of GZDoom is too old. The Decoration class doesn't exist anymore so if that definition works it's time for you to upgrade.

I just made a DECORATE destructable thing, and when I kill it, it activates A_SpawnDebris. That works fine, but what I'm trying to make is that the things spawned fly out animated and then go to a crash state. Is there a way to do it? This is what I put

Death:
MBAG C 5
MBAG D 5
MBAG EFGH 5 A_SpawnDebris(dollarnote, 1)
MBAG H-1
stop
}

Actor Dollarnote
{
health 10
radius 1
height 1
scale 0.25
states
{
spawn:
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
CASH ABC 5
loop
crash:
CASH B 1
CASH B -1
stop
}
}

They go flopping on the ground for a while then they go limp. Also, the destructable thing has a tendency to fly away while tossing out the money. I set the mass to be 30, and it has the PUSHABLE flag. Is there a way to avoid making it fly?

I also have this wad, which for some strange reason, will only give me a plasma gun and BFG9000 when I punch in the give all console command. I have no other weapons, not even my fist, and the number 2 for pistol isn't lighted up, although I start with it as per normal. Its really strange, because I can spawn the weapons on the floor, but I still can't pick them up. I have 2 DECORATE things but neither of them are weapons or projectiles.

Wad is here.

Sorry about double posting, but I would really like some help with this problem. I realise its gone quite off topic from the original thread topic, but if I could just cram a few problems likely to be solved within 1 or 2 replies that'd be cool, I think so at least.