Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ralphis`

Video Card vs. Connection

2 weeks ago I recieved my voodoo3 in the mail. Eager to open it I turned off my low ping game, then the computer and slapped it in. But ever since then, my game connections have been extremely slow (whereas I used to get a 50ms to someone I now get a 300+). Could my video card have triggered this? Should I contact @home? Any suggestions or comments? Would you like fries with that?

Should I contact @home?

NO, BUT IF YOU WANT TO HELP ME WIPE THEM OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH, PLEASE SAY SO.

Is the Great Destroyer of Forums moving on to ISPs as well?

Like BBG sez, check to see if it's your new video card causing the problems before anything else.

those Voodoo based cards (not my voodoo banshee) tend to give ENORMOUS ping , i don't know how...
but i know they do!
buy another card , like a Voodoo Rush or Banshee or Geforce...

Bullshit, I've never had that kind of problem with a v3 on any of my computers at home OR work.

Bullshit, I've never had that kind of problem with a v3 on any of my computers at home OR work.

You tell them, Arioch. Voodoo 3 rocks! Of course it's outdated and weak compared to the new cards, but it still rox!

Should I contact @home?

NO, BUT IF YOU WANT TO HELP ME WIPE THEM OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH, PLEASE SAY SO.

w3rd...I only download at about 30-40kbps, while most people with cable seem to download at 75-100kbps. Thenits even worse when sending files over ICQ...for some reason I get normal download speed, except when I am sending files to my friend that uses @home as well, then it drops to 10-20kbps.

yes that was a good card, almost got one when i got my new system but got the TNT2(vanta) card instead. it could be something do do with the card's DMA. Also check other settings like IRQ, windows usally will not run if these go bad but it is worth a shot. try it without the card useing the old one. I dont know why it would effect the ping but maybe the card has a defect or was damaged. I got a GeForce2 now, damn good card too, i like it better than the voodoo5 cards. I havn't seen to many voodoo cards in the last few months too, mostly Nvidia, ATI, and several others. Also try drivers, update both network and voodoo drivers

Should I contact @home?

Wahahaha, I know a guy who had to switch back to AOL after getting a cable connection and using their software.

Wahahaha, I know a guy who had to switch back to AOL after getting a cable connection and using their software.

CHRIST!!... /me thinks for a moment... CHRIST!...

Voodoo3, eh? That's the exact card I have. So far, it has yet to give me any problems whatsoever.

Voodoo3, eh? That's the exact card I have. So far, it has yet to give me any problems whatsoever.

ditto.

heh. Well, all I know is since I've gotten it my ping on all zdaemon servers has risen by 300 and whenever I run a game server, if more than 3 people connect their pings go past 3000.

I wish the gods had let 3dfx live. I wish I hadn't let my brother take the Voodoo3 I bought to Calgary. I wish he would do like he said he would and buy a new card and send it back.

!@#*$%&

heh. Well, all I know is since I've gotten it my ping on all zdaemon servers has risen by 300 and whenever I run a game server, if more than 3 people connect their pings go past 3000.

Have you tried removing it to see if it really is the problem like bbg suggested?

I wish the gods had let 3dfx live.

They did. Then 3DFX decided to see what was the most painful way they could commit suicide. Light a stick of dynamite and stick it up your ass? Saw your own head off with razor wire? Slice open your belly and see how much of your intestines you can choke down before you die? Nope, even worse. Release the Voodoo 4 and 5.

[quote]

Lüt.

I remember playing Quakeworld when the Voodoo2s came out. People would get on servers and be like "yah jst got 2 v2 sli" and then their ping would SKYROCKET! We'd all be shouting "Set your maxfps! Set your maxfps!"

The point is, if your frames per second get too high for the network code to keep up, then your ping will worsen. What'd you have before, Ralphis?