Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #304

What's wrong with TGRCP1? It's German work at its best. I haven't played the maps, because I've got no Skulltag, but from screenshots they should work okay. But from outside, I like how the wad itself looks, and I'd like to see a website that releases such files for a broad audience.

I sure do hope TRGCP1 is not German work "at its best".

Unless there has been seriously no other dude/dudes from Germany releasing something even marginally better than a few E1-like copy/paste maps, along with a pointless and mind-raping DEH and .txt files and mysterious "TRG Technology" lumps.

not to mention, it's the most pretentious thing since dream theater.

i would go so far to say that torm is german wadmaking at its best, however you want to take that.

printz said:

What's wrong with TGRCP1? It's German work at its best.

Don't insult an entire country by praising the work of some true idiots, please.

Take it this way. Most German works excel well at something and rarely fail, they're consistent to each other and usually trustworthy. This TGR file excels at user interface, text files, and wad structure. Somehow ridiculously, but as I said, I liked it. I liked how they cared to personalize almost every part of the interface, as little as it is. I really looked outside, not into the levels, when I said that.

At least dethtoll's remark saves me a bit.

printz said:

This TGR file excels at user interface, text files, and wad structure.

Well, the external text file was a joke, to be sure. Some way to excel: making oneself appear as a group total arrogant asses.

Graf Zahl said:

Well, the external text file was a joke, to be sure. Some way to excel: making oneself appear as a group total arrogant asses.

I overlooked the arrogance bit.

Excuse me, but nothing really excelled about TGRCP1, except for the sheer absurdity of its external .txt file (which were replicated several times INTERNALLY as well) and its authors' obsession with stating the obvious and rewriting every single text string in the game...in a slightly different/worse manner.

Such verbosity and anal attention to secondary details/obvious things/useless things It may have made them feel like they put in a lot of work into the mapset, but they only managed to pass themselves as pathologic Captain Obvious fans.

TGRCP1 could very well be called: "Captain Obvious' Anally Retentive Compulsive Disorder Adventures".

I wonder how they didn't bother explaining what a WAD is...heh.

And saying it's "German work at its best" is insulting to Germans, the very least.

This debate fits what not to do in FAQ Section "Doomworld Forums Posting Guidelines", Question 8. I'll stop this nonsense. Loser me for a week. If I realised too late that I offended someone and I can't get arguments... Or let's just say that I violated that rule by addressing stereotypes. Fine? {note to everyone that I tend to speak too soon and spout anti-P.C.ness based on what I hear}

The Tiger text file was pure geenyus! I think everyone should use it because, it tells you everything you need to know about the wad! Including whether it's blue horn or Purple bull theme!. I agree with the author's opinions about you cretins.

The text file that is currently used in "TGRCP1," might be to advanced; or maybe just not needed to go that deep. However the file is released to the public, so I can not be able to fix that situation. This situation well be fixed on the next project.

Too advanced...might be, but for some reason it reminds me of something else:

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Captain_Obvious

I too, when I first learned to program, wrote some pretty hilarious .txt or .doc files to accompany my simple TBASIC or Borland C++ programs, which had far more effort/time put in them than the actual programs, and ended up being ridiculous and redundant (how about a 30K file to describe a signed/unsigned sample format converter????). I eventually grew up, though.

Same thing with Doom templates: before the standard template became common, people wrote more or less anything they could come up with, some make 3-line descriptions, others wrote mini-books or deviations from UPLTEMPL.txt worthy of Captain Obvious.

The main problem with TRGCP1 is not only the text file, but the whole WAD. As I said before, it seems far more "effort" went into useless details such as replacing every text string in the game with a longer and usually misspelled version (I suspect they first translated everything in German, and then back to English) than actual mapping.

Also, even the "going too deep" is debatable: it just adds a ton of probably made up technobabble nonsense, and a few obvious/unimportant details, much like if they tried to make it LOOK more important that it is (as was the case with the TBASIC programs ;-)

TGRCP1 (and other Tiger Team files) surely earned a place in the History of Doom files, that much is certain.

I'm tired so I'm going to make this a strangely structured reply:

Printz, you're insane and quite delusional.
Deathz0r, gr8 reviews.
Durnurd, grow thicker skin and quit whining.
Fredrik, I love your avatar.
Use3d and Maes i luv u guyz

i'll play dese maps later

RottKing said:

I'm tired so I'm going to make this a strangely structured reply:

1. Printz, you're insane and quite delusional.
2. Deathz0r, gr8 reviews.
3. Durnurd, grow thicker skin and quit whining.
4.Fredrik, I love your avatar.
5. Use3d and Maes i luv u guyz

i'll play dese maps later

1. Yeah, I've noticed that.
2. Specially for someone who's DOING ALL THE REVIEWS HIMSELF.
3. Ignore Durnurd. He's just one of those kids who gets offended when people don't say "Let us bend forth and give head!" to him whenever he releases a wad.
4. Heh heh. Fishy high...
5. What about me!? :(

RottKing said:

Deathz0r, gr8 reviews.

Hey if you want to review SMDM together, just ask me on IRC. I haven't got around to writing that one yet!