Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Doom64 to The Ultimate Doom TC!

I think it would be a cool idea to recreate the The ultimate Doom
using Doom64 TC. So thats what i will probably do! I have just made a
conversion of The first map: M1 Hangar.

http://files.filefront.com//;7464042;/

You will need Doom 64 tc installed to play, the outcast levels are NOT needed.

I think it would be smart to release one level at a time instead of releasing them all at once, that way i can give something with a regular
point.

I'm not sure there's really a point to this project. And I don't know exactly what textures you have at your disposal, but the texture choices in that map were pretty unpleasant.

RoneKyakone said:

texture choices in that map were pretty unpleasant.

The textures in Doom and Doom 64 are very difrent, I have to do the best
i can to select the textures that look the most similar to those in Doom. And i don't get it when you say that the project has no purpose, the purpose is to remake Doom with Doom64.

I mean, what's the point? Is there really any purpose to remake Doom with new textures and sprites? I assume that will be the only difference.

Maybe I'm just biased because I hate the Doom64 sprites, but I would think your effort would be better spent creating new maps.

I'm gonna have to agree with Rone on this one. He's pretty much summed up my opinion about this.
The original Doom has been remade time and time again; adding new monsters, new graphics, and new features. Hell, there's even a big one already on the way (KDIZD). The Doom 64 textures don't seem to fit the theme for Doom which I felt looked somewhat cartoony and bright at times.
I'm alright with making maps for the Doom64 tc and all, but it's already a total conversion and a megawad. So why make it into yet another megawad?

I'd do this... but we'd have to make some serious gameplay changes. and considering how horrible your last Doom64 map was... the point is that everyone wants to remake doom1. i think if we put it into the episode format, then made some original doom1 inspired maps, we could pull it off.

Janitor said:

considering how horrible your last Doom64 map was... the point is that everyone wants to remake doom1. i think if we put it into the episode format, then made some original doom1 inspired maps, we could pull it off.

1. Some people think my last map was good, and some people thought it was bad, you can't appeal to evryone.

2. The idea behind the project is to make a version of Doom
that looks and feels like Doom 64, not the just Doom. If i wanted that than i would just go back into playing The Ultimate Doom.

Why not do it the other way around make doom64 maps for classic doom, but wait this is probably allready been done before.

It would be nice to play through the doom64 maps without those crap sprites and textures.

dutch devil said:

Why not do it the other way around make doom64 maps for classic doom, but wait this is probably allready been done before.

It would be nice to play through the doom64 maps without those crap sprites and textures.

But most of the Doom 64 maps were not that good. It was the theme that appealed to my.

Even the thread's title is wrong:

Doom64 to The Ultimate Doom TC!

That made me think it was about a TC bringing Doom64 to the Ultimate Doom, aka something that brings Doom64 monsters/levels/graphics to Ultimate Doom, or at least an attempt to recreate Doom64 levels for Ultimate Doom (nevermind the monsters).

None of the two paths would be really interesting, though.

That sort of thing is on the same league with mac53's "NEW and ENHANCED!" sprites, "Doom Z: Hell on ZDoom" and jobro's "sound repositery".

hardcore_gamer said:

But most of the Doom 64 maps were not that good.

Then is even easier to improve on them the layouts were good imo.

OK, downloaded and played it...and...well...if Doom64 can be thought of as a kind of "poor man's Doom 3" (I don't personally agree with this view, but the analogy is tempting), then this mod could be seen as the "poor man's Classic Doom to Doom 3 conversion".

The graphics just don't fit it, even if the architecture/effort is OK I guess. But a whole episode of this...no way.

dutch devil said:

You should do what you like if the community isn't interested in it doesn't mean you have to scrap it.

and i am always willing to help on a project, no matter how crazy it may be.

Janitor said:

and i am always willing to help on a project, no matter how crazy it may be.

Perhaps, but i won't continue this project, i already have 2 other projects going on, one for Doom2, and one for Doom3.

I am however, more than willing to accept any help for my Doom2 project:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39865

I took a long brake from the project and now that i am back i don't mind
to work with someone else if it makes the project better!

hey i quite enjoyed the map! Only problem is that the sprites are too big for some of the ceiling heights, and they get stuck, like the imp on the platform in the zig-zag floor room. Otherwise good map. How do you map for doom 64 anyway?

I quite like the idea (haven't tried the map yet). I'm not a big fan of the D64 maps but the look, sounds and theme were interesting and made a change (although I much prefer the original game). So, I'd like to see maps or a more normal Doom type but using the D64 theme.

[edit]OK, I've played the map now and agree with the other comments. It could certainly use a lot of prettifying - especially with texture choice - and the sprite size etc is a problem. I stand by what I said though, the idea is still appealing.[/edit]