Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BASGTA

Open Space Ideas

I've been working on this wad for about two days now, and I need ideas for a big open space that I have.

I was thinking have a lot of enemies in that area, which sooner or later I will, but I need ideas to decorate the space up.

Like in Quake 3 Arena's last two tiers? Black void and boom? 1024 has one or more levels in void. Or try DOOM32 map05.

You could put a huge opening in the ceiling, decorated with ornate (well as much as the engine allows) frames, supported by a few pillars. Or alternatively "balconies" at the sides of the room. Maybe a few satanic symbols on the floor with teleporters at thier centre, which spawn monsters

dutch devil said:

Use crates to fill it up :p is it an inside area or an outside area?

It's outside.

Anyway, I thought up having on the other side of the door there is a dead person's torso hanging, and a SSG. Once you get close to it the lights go out, and about 20 zombies spawn behind you, then where the torso use to be, is now an opening with two mancubus's in the space.

I'm still trying to get the wall to raise, I've done it already on the same map, but for some reason I'm having trouble. I know I'll get it right when I hit submit reply, since that always happens with me. :P

BASGTA said:

It's outside.

Anyway, I thought up having on the other side of the door there is a dead person's torso hanging, and a SSG. Once you get close to it the lights go out, and about 20 zombies spawn behind you, then where the torso use to be, is now an opening with two mancubus's in the space.

I'm still trying to get the wall to raise, I've done it already on the same map, but for some reason I'm having trouble. I know I'll get it right when I hit submit reply, since that always happens with me. :P

Why not just make the area smaller? And While it may just be my but i don't like it when enemy's spawn behind you, and 20 enemy's......well forget it! I don't want to play a wad that has a barron, an arcvile
and a revaiant in the same room, i don't want to play a wad that has a cyberdemon and a spider mastermind in the same room, AND i don't want to play a wad that has 20 or more enemy's teleport behind your back!

BASGTA said:

It's outside.

Well, if it's outside, I wouldn't mind the big area, but 20 Zombies? On UV they nearly clobber you with out notice, but a better suggestion for the zombies is 4 barons on platforms, 2 mancubie be ok, but think of something to add to where there are like 4 platforms with the Barons and Mancubie on ground trying to hit you, and with the platforms, the Barons would cause an infight if hitting the Fat ass and thats where you might need to put something else there to make sure if all monsters kill each other, there be another 1 strong one(not a Spider Mastermind+) like an Arch.

hardcore_gamer said:

Why not just make the area smaller? And While it may just be my but i don't like it when enemy's spawn behind you, and 20 enemy's......well forget it! I don't want to play a wad that has a barron, an arcvile
and a revaiant in the same room, i don't want to play a wad that has a cyberdemon and a spider mastermind in the same room, AND i don't want to play a wad that has 20 or more enemy's teleport behind your back!

Wow dude, would you like some cheese with that whine?

bah, 20 zombies is nothing...as long as I have a SSG or a rocket launcher and some room to move....

20 zombies that where not just former humans would do far more damage to themselves than to you. Unless they where a load of chaingunners spread out in a line, then you'd be dead in seconds

ragnew said:

Wow dude, would you like some cheese with that whine?

He has to be kidding. There is absolutely no way he can be serious.

Make an hard trap pick up a health bonus and get attacked by 50 barons of hell :p

20 troopers is nothing too easy even with an pistol.

20 troopers is a bit unrealistic. I'd combine them with sergeants and a couple of commandos, for army effect. But 20 troopers serve to create a tatatatatata sound pollution.

I just went through and recorded it with FRAPS. I noticed that I only lost 10HP from the zombies, most of them killed each other or the Mancubus killed them.

I might delete half of them and make them sargents.

(I'll add the video when it's uploaded)

printz said:

20 troopers is a bit unrealistic. I'd combine them with sergeants and a couple of commandos, for army effect. But 20 troopers serve to create a tatatatatata sound pollution.

Doom is unrealistic.

But in any case, sometimes hordes of basic zombies are just fun and they can be used to lighten the mood in the map. Of course whether they'd serve any purpose in this occasion is hard to say since we can't try it out...

Regarding filling up the space:

Use3D said:

Uh neat. Play some wads to get ideas.

It's really the best way.

Yeah, I was playing the Requiem megawad yesterday and I got a few ideas. Only one of the ideas was for a big open area, but I didn't implement it into this room.

The video.

Craigs said:

He has to be kidding. There is absolutely no way he can be serious.

I'd sure as hell hope so. Cause if he wasn't, well, he'd hate half the stuff that's been released in the last 10 years ...heh. Quality stuff at that!

ragnew said:

I'd sure as hell hope so. Cause if he wasn't, well, he'd hate half the stuff that's been released in the last 10 years ...heh. Quality stuff at that!

I did not say i don't like to waste a shitload of enemy's, i just don't
like it when all of the sudden a dozen enemy's appear behind you and you get no time to react, and yes if we are talking about former humans no biggie, but shotgun or chaingun zombies? no way!

hardcore_gamer said:

I did not say i don't like to waste a shitload of enemy's, i just don't
like it when all of the sudden a dozen enemy's appear behind you and you get no time to react, and yes if we are talking about former humans no biggie, but shotgun or chaingun zombies? no way!

Haha, hey, least you're honest HG! No one can ever blame someone for that :)

hardcore_gamer said:

i just don't like it when all of the sudden a dozen enemy's appear behind you and you get no time to react, and yes if we are talking about former humans no biggie, but shotgun or chaingun zombies? no way!

Hehe, I actually changed from about 20 former humans to about 6 chain gun zombies. It's not that bad, you have about 5 seconds to turn around and move before they start shooting.

It's not like that map in Coopbuildlm where it's a big square with about 50 chain gunners all looking over you.