Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BASGTA

[May 17] Acidic - 1.1 Done [Fixed]

Hello. I've been making my second map for about, three days now, and I would like some people to test out the map and give me some responses.

Please tell me what you like about it, what you don't like, and what you think I should change about the map.

Post a reply in here and I'll upload the map, because while I'm waiting for people to respond I might be adding some little things to the map.

Note: It's not done.

Version 0.1
Version 0.2
Version 0.3
Version 1.0

Video of the big room on the far left of the map. (Out of Date)

Download - Mediafire Version 1.1, May 17th.

Pretty good for an second map I liked it not really hard but still fun to play.

Lower unpeg your doortraks to stop them from moving up with the door I can see you put height variation in your maps allready which I found pretty cool you allready learned the basics of mapping doors rising staircases teleporters and lifts caught my eye even scripting allready.

Looking forward to the finished map.

Hehe, thanks. My first map which I made in about 24 hours had some stairs, but the whole map had about 20 unclosed sectors so I'm trying hard to make sure this map has no unclosed sectors.

I've been reading a lot of the ACS scripts on the zDoom wikipedia to learn how to do some scripting.

Also, for some reason I can't get the hang of adding detail, like decorations. (Sure I have some, but not many)

It's a good start in learning how to map. Obviously, there isn't too much texture variation, and while there's a fair amount of ceiling height changes, the floors stay the same height for most of the level. A couple things you might want to work on are the shape of your rooms and detailing.

Try making rooms that aren't so square. Circles, winding hallways, even rooms that are just on an angle, add some variation to keep players interested. With detailing, you'll want to start small and not go crazy yet. Start with adding lights into the ceiling, indented or sticking out. These will provide some slight variation in the height of the room, and also make the lighting more dynamic. You could also make some cracks or holes in the floor, maybe with nukage flowing underneath.

Update in the first post.

I added some lights, changed the lighting to some rooms, changed some enemies, removed some enemies, and changed some sectors.

Yesterday I added one or two rooms, today I just changed some things. Ever since I watched the movie Heat I've been working less on this, since I feel the need to play Counter Strike. :P

Nice update its looking better the chaingun/mancubus area is tougher now but think you could remove two medikits and one blue armor in that area at least.You have an good base to work from if you start adding the things RoneKyakone said in his post it becomes even better.

One thing that you might want to fix is this, the blood flat and that rock flat have the same floor level.

Oh dang, I meant to lower the floor in that sector, but I got preoccupied with something else.

I have 2 complaint's

1. Needs detail, level looks blend and empty.

2. More ammo needed at some spots.

Other than that could end up as a decent wad if you ad some detail, the empty hallways looked and felt boring.

Nice work, getting pretty good, I personally think you'd do a great job if you pay attention alittle more like I do but sometimes I do miss a few things that AREN'T so important, but still needing cared of.

Alright, I've begun making cracks and such in the ground with Nukage flowing through. Now I want to take it to the level.

Exhibit A.

Light blue = Hole.
Purple = Nukage flowing to the ground.

I have no idea on how to do this. I can get the nukage to flow to the ground, but only in straight form. I want it to twist and turn about while flowing to the ground. I'm not quite sure how to make the hole either. I might be able to get a vent texture and make the nukage to look like it's coming out.

You'd have to use a custom rock texture with the cracks transparent and have a nukage texture behind it. Or make a set of animated textures showing the nukage seeping down.

Does one already exist and is available for download, or do I have to make one myself? :{

There are several wads which have some, but I can't think of which ones. They are not hard to make. You just export your rock texture or whatever from your iwad, open it up with Paint, and use the pencil tool to make cyan cracks running down the texture. Then import into your pwad. You'll have to add it to PNAMES and TEXTURE1 however, if you don't give the new texture a name that's the same as one in the iwad you're creating this for.

Alright, so how do I export these textures and import them into my wad?

I have Wally and XME.

Open TNT in XME :p select the texture you want to use click edit--->copy.

Then file-->open and open your wad in XME :p and select edit--->paste, right click on the texture and select add to texture.

Make an copy of your wad and mess around with that if your not sure what you are doing, if you mess that one up not everything is lost.

It might even be an smart idea to make an copy of TNT and work with that.

When I open the map in Doom Builder with DOOM2.wad I get..

WARNING: Could not find the required lump for the patch BRNOPEN
WARNING: Could not find the required lump for the patch BLOD128A

when I open the map in Doom Builder with TNT.wad and I try to play the map I get..

They were I deleted the other wad and used my back up. I didn't use cut, because it wouldn't let me use cut, it only let me use copy.

I did it again exactly like you said, and it changed the map name from MAP01 to BRNOPEN.

I changed the name back to MAP01 and now the texture is gone.

Got it, works, did the stuff. It's not even close to what I had in mind, but it'll do. I think I spent way to much time on getting that to work.

EDIT - This isn't a problem or anything, but just a concern I have.

When I'm in Doom Builder's 3D mode, there seems to be some tearing. I have no map errors and it has no effect in game. I just find it a little annoying.

Bump.

I have a question about the script I mentioned at the bottom of this page.

I have some Barons, and after you kill them I want a wall to lower, I'm not quite sure how to do this. I know it has something to do with setting a thing special.