Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steeveeo

Best looking Base themed wads

Looking for ideas on how a base theme should look. Which are the best Base themed wads?

Steeveeo said:

Looking for ideas on how a base theme should look. Which are the best Base themed wads?

uh?.......There are millions of wads out there, and you should just take a look at the base maps from doom1 witch has the best base maps out there.

Scuba Steve said:

Espi's Suspended in Dusk.

Seriously. Definitely my favorite multi-level WAD.

RoneKyakone said:

Seriously. Definitely my favorite multi-level WAD.

Thirding this. Suspended in Dusk is one of the best WADs I've ever played. The atmosphere is incredible.

Scythe 2 is another favorite of mine...it's a megawad with various themes, all of which are done extremely well. The layouts, architecture, gameplay, texturing, and detailing are all pretty much perfect. If you're looking for good examples of base maps, or pretty much any other theme, Scythe 2 has some great ones.

Antidote said:

SiD was ok. I didn't like it because it did not capture a base theme that I was looking for.

Could you decribe what your looking for? Kurt kessler did some nice tech base themed levels (kzdoom series). For Episode 1 style bases the classic episode maps are good. Afterglow's jagermorder2 map is a good example of a huge base map, as are Fredrik's Vrack maps.

I'd suggest you look at:
1. Suspended in dusk
2. Phobos: Anomoly reborn
3. Equinox
4. The third episode of Scythe 2 (Tech base levels and the mines)
5. First episode of Simplicity
6. Phobos

Hellcore 2.0 (hc20.wad) MAP01 might help. Its very much on-earth rather than in space or on another planet though, which might not be what you're looking for.

actually On-Earth is EXACTLY what Im looking for, I'll go check that one out next (as soon as I get some time...)

Graf Zahl said:

I recommend The Darkening Episode 2. Easily the best looking base levels ever!

Oh forgot about that one. Fantastico!

Szymanski said:

Could you decribe what your looking for? Kurt kessler did some nice tech base themed levels (kzdoom series). For Episode 1 style bases the classic episode maps are good. Afterglow's jagermorder2 map is a good example of a huge base map, as are Fredrik's Vrack maps.

Simplicity.

In no particular order.

Eternal DOOM has some cool base maps.
RTC-3057
Dark 7 Mission Pack

taking a look at hellcore2.0. Good wad! Started messing around with lighting and such until I ran out of time...

Scuba Steve said:

Nah, Nimrod sucks.

Yeah well Action Doom blows.
To be honest, I was never a fan of Nim'rod. I found it kind of dumb how the architecture and detail seemed to constantly switch from looking like something out of 1995 to high detail and back again. Plus the sprites gave me a headache.

Szymanski said:

Afterglow's jagermorder2 map is a good example of a huge base map, as are Fredrik's Vrack maps.

Wanna come over to my house for cheap booze and rough manse?

To be honest, I was never a fan of Nim'rod. I found it kind of dumb how the architecture and detail seemed to constantly switch from looking like something out of 1995 to high detail and back again. Plus the sprites gave me a headache.

I thought that was quite good, interiors where detailed but massive external architecture was plain to seem bigger. What wasnt good was fighting an arachnotron with 2% health and no ammo, or even any ammo and health seemingly in the whole area. Unless those guys with the barely-audiable voice acting where telling me where i could find some... give me rooms, doors, guns and targets any day- no need to over complicate the issue

deathbringer said:

I thought that was quite good, interiors where detailed but massive external architecture was plain to seem bigger. What wasnt good was fighting an arachnotron with 2% health and no ammo, or even any ammo and health seemingly in the whole area. Unless those guys with the barely-audiable voice acting where telling me where i could find some... give me rooms, doors, guns and targets any day- no need to over complicate the issue

Yeah, the gameplay in the first level was really, really bad. Which may have kept more people than necessary from playing the whole WAD.

Kurt Kesler's works for ZDoom. Not all are technological bases but most of them. I have only downloaded and played wads from the KZDoom series, not from KBoom.

Graf Zahl said:

Yeah, the gameplay in the first level was really, really bad. Which may have kept more people than necessary from playing the whole WAD.

Yeah, people really seem to have hated it. I did it like that, because I didn't want it to be like every other wad's first maps. Where you either got the weapons really fast, or you were just killing zombies and imps for a while. I wanted a tangiable reason to why the friends of the player died in the first place. :)

@deathbringer: I assume you're talking about the bad game play that Graf also took up. And there's plenty of ammo in the first map to deal with all the (3) arachnotrons. There's nothing said about it by the voice acting (which have had "subtitles" for quite some time now I might add), I figured you would be able to explore an mostly empty base on your own. :p

Back to topic:
Assault on Tei Tenga
Assault on Moonbase Cresta

One wad notable by its absence in this thread is Dystopia 3, or specifically those Dystopia 3 levels by Adelusion (Iikka Keranen's levels in the project being generally city-themed).