Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Macro11_1

middle double sided texture....

Is there a way to make a texture tile on the middle of a double sided line def? (not upper or lower)

This may seem redundant, but It's just that I find it annoying to have to take a doom2 texture and resize it just so I can have a tall window.

Not that I know of, but if you put in a second line in that window 1 unit away from the other one, you can put in another middle texture and align it to make a tall window.

Well, if your using Doom Builder, follow this-

1. Right click the linedef you want to middle texture on.
2. Now on the screen with the flags, if you want things to pass but not monsters or players, flag 'impassable'. Then go to the 'SideDefs' tab and you'll see the linedefs textures of that wall on the right.
3. If you see 6 open and usable box with a texture in it, the one in the middle is the texture you wish to put in, go to middle texture and click it.

There ya go, if that is any helpful.

Mithral_Demon said:

Well, if your using Doom Builder, follow this-

1. Right click the linedef you want to middle texture on.
2. Now on the screen with the flags, if you want things to pass but not monsters or players, flag 'impassable'. Then go to the 'SideDefs' tab and you'll see the linedefs textures of that wall on the right.
3. If you see 6 open and usable box with a texture in it, the one in the middle is the texture you wish to put in, go to middle texture and click it.

There ya go, if that is any helpful.

Thanks, but you misinterpreted my question.

I'm not asking how to put a texture on the middle of a double sided line def, but rather I am asking that if the space I wish to cover is 192 units high, and the texture is only 128 units high... is there a better way to tile the texture on the middle of the line rather than taking the texture in to an Image editor and duplicating it on top to make it a 256 tall texture.

Ichor said:
Not that I know of, but if you put in a second line in that window 1 unit away from the other one, you can put in another middle texture and align it to make a tall window.
[/B]

I have used this before, and am a slight bit unsatisfied with the results.

I remember hearing about some flag value that Z-Doom can do to rectify this.

Thanks for the help so far though.

Nope, there are no ZDoom/Hexen flags that tile middle textures. The best option is to just make your own tall texture.
Remember one thing though, Middle textures don't clip in sectors that are shorter than the texture, meaning that they will extend past the ceiling or floor so that the entire texture is drawn.
This only applies in cases of lines where the sectors on each side of the line have the same sector heights.

Macro11_1 said:

I have used this before, and am a slight bit unsatisfied with the results.

You can put two Linedefs on top of each other and adjust the y-offsets accordingly. The lines can either share the same Vertices, or the Vertices can be on top of each other, as well. These, of course, will show up as errors, but it will work fine.

To make it easier to edit, split one of the lines. That way, if you want to change either, you can temporarily move the Vertex out and access the lines seperately.

EarthQuake said:

Remember one thing though, Middle textures don't clip in sectors that are shorter than the texture, meaning that they will extend past the ceiling or floor so that the entire texture is drawn.
This only applies in cases of lines where the sectors on each side of the line have the same sector heights.

Not always. There needs to be one different attribute(flat or light level) for equal height Sectors to clip middle textures. So, simply change the light level by one and it will clip(I used this trick a lot in HR2).

If you're lucky and the node builder allows you by not crashing, you can squeeze linedefs on the same line and obtain piled textures without ledges.

Once it worked as I moved the crenels right on the edge without splitting and joining, and the end result was okay (the tower had GSTONE1 walls and MARBLE2 crenels). But as I tried using this technique again, either Doom or the editor crashed instantly.

If you try this and it works, just make sure not to let the editor touch anything there for you.