Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Aseph

x-men: the not-so-last stand

Well, it's official. X-Men 4 is in production. So, I guess X-MEN: THE LAST STAND wasn't so much of a last stand after all. more like a second-to-last stand. Or something.

Anyway, they're FINALLY introducing Gambit, and he's going to be played by Josh Holloway. Anyone who's a fan of Lost knows Josh Holloway as the dude who plays Sawyer. Really, he's totally perfect for the role.

Discuss your thoughts on a fourth X-Men film, and feel free to bring up your opinions on the third film as well. If there was an X-Men 3 thread, I never saw it. So, yeah.

At most the series will end up like Friday the 13th, which ended up with Jason fighting aliens in outer space. Yeah, it got that good in the end.

Nothing beats Highlander II, where it turned out that THE HIGHLANDERS WERE ALIENS! Classic bad movie.

Hold on, I'm going way off topic and derailing the thread. Please ignore.

I still haven't got around to watching the third film yet. Kinda shocking for me since I love the first two and X-Men in general.

And Josh Holloway as Gambit couldn't be more fitting.

deathz0r said:

And Josh Holloway as Gambit couldn't be more fitting.

I think Lost has ruined any chance he has as Gambit, for me at least. Just like Famke's transgender role in Nip/Tuck.

I watch too much tv :/

Edit: Granted, I can't remember Gambit so Im hardly one to judge.

Yay looking forward to it too bad some of the coolest characters died in part 3, I would have liked seeing them again but its hollywood if they want some character back I'm sure they can think of something.

There are two possibilites for the return of any mutants killed in X-Men 3: Somehow retcon the entire thing or come up with a lame explanation to bring them back. My money is on the latter.

Maes said:

At most the series will end up like Friday the 13th, which ended up with Jason fighting aliens in outer space. Yeah, it got that good in the end.

Incorrect - there were no aliens in Jason X. Besides, Friday the 13th was a horrid series from the very first one. Even the "best" of the series (part 4 or 6, in my opinion) are really, really abominable movies. A better example would have been Nightmare on Elm Street which actually had some good entries before doing a cannonball into raw sewage.

On topic, I guess I should get around to seeing X3. Funny how nowadays we have these movie series racking up quite a few installments without totally falling apart. Was anybody really looking forward to Superman IV back in the day?

Heh, the worst-kept secret in Movies is out! they left X3 massively open for a sequel and it's a big franchise... what a "suprise" that they didnt stop

Oh yeah, how many times have the characters died and come back in the comics? DC and Marvel don't seem to beleive in the "Beginning, Middle and End" idea

I think I lost all faith in characters staying dead when Jason Todd came back to life after Superboy Prime punched a hole in reality, or something.

This is no news. They openly said at the time of its release that X-Men: The Last Stand wouldn't likely be the last X-Men movie. They said it would be the last in its trilogy. It is highly unlikely that Professor X will return, although from the ending of the third one, it seems like Magneto may still be involved somehow, even if only from the shadows. I believe the next X-Men movie is supposed to focus on entirely different characters from the franchise, though.

Somebody told me last year that the studio signed on for 10 or so movies. Or was it 11 sequels for a total of 12? Whatever, I doubt they'll stop with the movies anytime soon.

With Terminator 4 in the works, I suppose anything's expected these days.

X-3 got a bit screwed up with some of the characters. Cyclops, for example, was killed by Onslaught in the comics, and Juggernaut wasn't british. Of course being a Marvel movie its expected that they screw up the story somehow. Not that I'm complaining that it was bad, I enjoyed it.

Maes said:

At most the series will end up like Friday the 13th, which ended up with Jason fighting aliens in outer space.

Actually those were fake monsters in a simulation room.

Lüt said:

Somebody told me last year that the studio signed on for 10 or so movies. Or was it 11 sequels for a total of 12? Whatever, I doubt they'll stop with the movies anytime soon.

Thats a ton of sequels. As with T-4, I don't know how they are going to do that if Schwarzenegger isn't in it, which might be possible since he is so out of shape now.

Lüt said:

Terminator 4-6 is in the works. Some other studio bought the rights of the franchise and is working on a new trilogy. It won't involve Arnie in any way and will focus on John Connor and the Future War. Unfortunately at least the first film will be written by the T3 guys, so I hold little hope for it. A shame too, since the Future War scenes in T1/T2 are possibly the most badass sequences ever put on film.

Edit: Sources:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/10/film.terminator.reut/index.html
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070510_halycon_takes_on_new_terminato.html

Awesome, they were trying to get Josh Holloway to be Gambit since like the 2nd movie. They didn't want anyone else, but he didn't want to be typecast as a southern tough guy. Guess he changed his mind. And yeah, the third movie wasn't going to be the last anyway. Just the last of the first trilogy.

Oh jeez, an entire trilogy? I only heard about 4, but reading the synopsis now, I suppose it's got potential since it seems they aren't trying to directly add on to the existing trilogy. I was thinking the only way it would work is if it were some kind of AU.

I can't wait for X-Men X: Xtraordinarily Xtreme Xenomorphs!!

Seriously, I wonder how long Hollywood's obsession with comic book movies can go on before people get sick of them. I'm sure Spiderman won't be capped at three installments either - they're making a sequel to Fantastic Four for crying out loud!! Plus there's the inevitable upcoming movies in the Batman and Superman reboots...

david_a said:

they're making a sequel to Fantastic Four for crying out loud!!

At least that has Silver Surfer in it, who has a cool concept. It's probably going to have some tie-in with Galactus.

deathz0r said:

I still haven't got around to watching the third film yet. Kinda shocking for me since I love the first two and X-Men in general.

I've only seen the first. Once.
I'll see a sequel in theaters when Gladiator or Apocalypse has a (significant) role.

david_a said:

Terminator 4-6 is in the works. The Future War scenes in T1/T2 are possibly the most badass sequences ever put on film.

If a film/trilogy focuses on the future wars, it/they really need(s) to resemble the look and feel of those shown in T1/T2. That means little CGI bullshit and plenty of electronic music. Also, a hundred rubber-skinned Arnolds (the previous versions) should make an appearance somewhere. That'd be gold.

And maybe they can just rely on fully CGI Arnolds a la Matrix Reloaded and just have Arnie provide the voices.

GGG said:

I've only seen the first. Once.

Same here. One of the more forgettable films I've seen, though Patrick Stewart as Professor X was perfect. I just thought it was amusing they used the Dark City music for the previews. Apparently the sequels are much better, but the first did nothing to interest me in them. The only X-men product I really got into was the Genesis game. I used to drum the first level's music all the time.

Quasar said:

It is highly unlikely that Professor X will return

It's entirely possible he might, as he is still alive in the movie's version of the universe. For those thinking "what is this guy on?", pay special attention to the mention of the uber braindead guy on Muir (sp?) Island, and then watch past the end credits.

Personally I'm glad another one is in the works. They got a lot of material to work with. And yeah, Josh Holloway as Gambit would rock. Can totally see that working. Sure the first movies were not perfect, but what is? Disengage your brain, sit down and enjoy the ride.

Oh and lol @ Maes for thinking Jason was fighting aliens in Jason X.

The Terminator movies need to stop. Desperately. The atrociously bad third film is clear evidence to anyone with a brain that you can't make a good Terminator film without James Cameron at the helm.

And as for the X-Men trilogy, X2 is definitely the best one in my opinion. Unfortunately, X3 isn't that great because Bryan Singer left the project to do that piece of crap Superman film, and took most of his crew with him.

They had been planning to do movie spinoffs for Wolverine and Magneto, those were the sequels that had already been planned. The actual fourth X-Men film was just recently officially announced.

Inferno said:

A cloud? Wow that just turned to shit.

Did you hear that guys? A shit cloud is coming this way! Run for your lives!

JoelMurdoch said:

It's entirely possible he might, as he is still alive in the movie's version of the universe. For those thinking "what is this guy on?", pay special attention to the mention of the uber braindead guy on Muir (sp?) Island, and then watch past the end credits.

From what I heard, that's how they brought him back in the comics at one point.

Aseph said:

The Terminator movies need to stop. Desperately. The atrociously bad third film is clear evidence to anyone with a brain that you can't make a good Terminator film without James Cameron at the helm.

I agree, but as long as they can make money...

<Reese> They can't be bargained with, they can't be reasoned with. They doen't feel pity or remorse or fear and they absolutely will not stop, ever, until your last dollar is spent. </Reese>

Haven't they prevented the machine war like what...3 times now?

They've postponed the war, but Judgement day is inevitable, Arnie states it in the 3rd film. If I remember correctly, skynet launches an attack at the end. Soo... probably the next one might be set in the future, when the world looks like a massive junkyard.