Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Motion sickness in Doom (or other FPS)

I never got "sick", but I remember getting a pretty bad headache from playing Chocolate Doom when I first used it. This was because I've been playing with PrBoom-Plus with Uncapped Framerate on on a fairly powerful computer, and when I started using Chocolate Doom, I could see the individual frames.

ultdoomer said:
This was because I've been playing with PrBoom-Plus with Uncapped Framerate on on a fairly powerful computer, and when I started using Chocolate Doom, I could see the individual frames.

Probably not, unless you also get sick watching television (30 fps). More likely, you were not used to the resolution. I play at 320x200 all the time and it's fine for me, but if I set low graphic detail mode on, I can start to feel bad.

myk said:

Probably not, unless you also get sick watching television (30 fps). More likely, you were not used to the resolution. I play at 320x200 all the time and it's fine for me, but if I set low graphic detail mode on, I can start to feel bad.

Wow geeze 320x200? I set ZDoom to at least 1024xwhateverishere. It looks so much sharper and clearer with the higher resolutions

BoldEnglishman said:
It looks so much sharper and clearer with the higher resolutions

The engine I use most regularly doesn't go any higher, although I still set it at that resloution when using other engines, because that sharpness and clearness doesn't really help to set the atmosphere of the game, since it gives everyithing a more square or papery clean appearance (not to mention it can affect frame rate, if the wad is large or detailed enough). At first, using ZDoom and other engines that have a lot of text (from extra messages or scripted stuff in their custom wads), low resolution was a problem because the text and HUD would cover too much of the screen. There's an good solution for that, though; set the resolution to 640x400 and then the detail to low horizontal and vertical, and you get the equivalent of 320x200 with smaller text and HUD figures!

myk said:

There's an good solution for that, though; set the resolution to 640x400 and then the detail to low horizontal and vertical, and you get the equivalent of 320x200 with smaller text and HUD figures!

Hey, nice! It's indeed much better to play ZDoom this way.

Never had motion sickness, even when I played doom on a VR headset once. One thing that bothers me now is the 35fps limit of doom. It doesn't really make me feel sick or anything, but its certainly harder on my eyes than ports with an uncapped framerate.