Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

Helicopter Textures?

Hi there. I'm busy working on MoUAC: Exigency and am building a helicopter in one of the maps. Unfortunately, I have no good helicopter textures to use!

It would be a great help if anyone had any or knew where I could find some good ones. Anything will help, except Batman Doom helicopter textures! Oh and if you have a good tail rotor texture (can be just one frame, doesn't matter), I would love to have that too!

Ask if owner of "Hell breakin loose!" LOan his helicopter. I don't remember his name by now, but you can download his wad to look it from readme

Thanks for the help guys, but I need helicopter TEXTURES! The helicopter I'm making is fully 3d, all extrafloors (3d floors), so I desperately require textures for it. Desert camo would be ideal.

I think Batman Doom also had a fully 3D helecopter in it. You can't take the textures, but you can take a look at it for ideas.
Helecopters seem like a pretty hard thing to make from sectors. Shame that Edge doesn't support models.

Craigs said:

Helecopters seem like a pretty hard thing to make from sectors. Shame that Edge doesn't support models.

Indeed they are. But I must have one, so I made one. It's looking pretty good so far, but it lacks good textures still... I know about the Batman Doom ones, unfortunately they are too cartoony...

Maybe you could use Google Images and search for "desert helicopter", find a good pic or three, and create a few PNG textures from them.

I was going to do a similar thing with a flat picture of a helicopter, which i was going to "cut up" into textures and basically have the textures as a "flat board" which looks a helicopter, with an opening where the door is, and a room representing the helicopter interior beyond. Plus invisble walls coming off either end of it so the player can't go around to the other side and see that it is flat

Ajapted said:

Maybe you could use Google Images and search for "desert helicopter", find a good pic or three, and create a few PNG textures from them.

Better yet, he could google "Desert Camo" and use that as a base for making the textures. Take the camo, add doors and windows, trim it up a bit, and then he's got himself the textures needed.

Craigs said:

Better yet, he could google "Desert Camo" and use that as a base for making the textures. Take the camo, add doors and windows, trim it up a bit, and then he's got himself the textures needed.

This is pretty much what I ended up doing as of today. Right now 90% of the heli is all one texture though. I can add details more easily now though, using lower master textures for the extrafloors that make up the heli. So I'll get it some helicopter-like details on the texture.

To see how tedious this extrafloor process can be... (Note that the below pic is very zoomed out)

EDIT: Having that image show up directly in the forum was messing my site up. Just click it, or copy and paste now.

http://www.freewebs.com/mouac/HeliDB.JPG

I'm devoted to the quality of MoUAC 110%!!! Ha. Sure. I think it's just a matter of thinking about a desired result, finding out if it can be done, and doing it if it is indeed possible - basically not being lazy about anything that CAN be done even if it means a lot of extra work.

It's a shame Doom editors don't natively support extrafloors, and take care of dummy sectors for you. That would make things like this a wee bit easier.

Action DOOM has a cool helicopter. In DOOM 2.5 first map there's an efect in the ventilations that may help you for the moving blades.

Lobo has sent me some cool helicopter textures via PM over the EDGE forums, and they're more than satisfactory so far. I'll see how I can implement them.