Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is there a program that playes midis?

For some reason all of my midi files lag when i play them within the slumped editor. Windows media player and vlc can't play midi files so is
there a program that allows you to play midi files just for the purpose of hearing them?

If Windows Media Player cannot play midis you may have a serious problem, but anyways, Winamp should be able to run just about anything you throw at it.

According to fileinfo, you can run .mus files with MakeMusic Finale, Allegro, and PrintMusic.

hardcore_gamer said:

ops!

Yes. A special ops. Becauses playeing mus file is cools.

GGG said:
According to fileinfo, you can run .mus files with MakeMusic Finale, Allegro, and PrintMusic.

More accessibly, there's WinAmp (but it might require a plugin) and Musplay (I haven't tried it on a newer system).

And, naturally, one can also use one of the Mus2Mid programs to turn a MUS file into a MIDI.

Check the archive, i know it comes with Wintex (the thinking man's XWE), and may also be available on its own.

And why is Wintex the "thinking man's XWE"? Intellectuals use it?

There are a few mus2mid variants:

Mus2Midi (the first one)
QMus2Mid (a quicker version)
Mus2Midi1 (supposely optimized for newer processors)
MMus2Mid (a version by Jim Flynn, a Team TNT member)

Their performance may vary according to your system, but if you have a relatively newer computer I'd suggest the last 2 listed.

I use DeepSEA to extract MUS lumps directly into MIDIs. XWE can't do this directly. About Slumped I don't know.
At automation DeepSEA wins.

myk said:

And why is Wintex the "thinking man's XWE"? Intellectuals use it?

There are a few mus2mid variants:

Mus2Midi (the first one)
QMus2Mid (a quicker version)
Mus2Midi1 (supposely optimized for newer processors)
MMus2Mid (a version by Jim Flynn, a Team TNT member)

Their performance may vary according to your system, but if you have a relatively newer computer I'd suggest the last 2 listed.

Wtf? All of the zips only contain one file and if i click it a window pops up for a second and then closes. Do i need dosbox to open those things?

hardcore_gamer said:
Do i need dosbox to open those things?

Try opening a command prompt and executing them from there. If you don't know what the command line is, or if it seems complicated to you, you might as well get the DeePSea shareware, as printz implied, which is a GUI program.

myk said:

Try opening a command prompt and executing them from there. If you don't know what the command line is, or if it seems complicated to you, you might as well get the DeePSea shareware, as printz implied, which is a GUI program.

nah! I will rather listen to the mus in slumped, even if it sometimes lags, just thought there would be a simple way to solve this.

NiGHTMARE said:

Use WinTex.

Since it constantly requires a VBRUN file or whatever and it's unobvious where to look, I find it more an effort to get it to run... Besides, I can't trust Visual Basic because run-time errors seem to be taken less care of than program/system crashes, happening more often.

Your take; I don't want to start a flame/fanboy war.

just google VBRUN300.DLL

And the various MUS2MIDI programs can be used by dragging a MUS into them, and out pops a MIDI

printz said:

Since it constantly requires a VBRUN file or whatever and it's unobvious where to look, I find it more an effort to get it to run... Besides, I can't trust Visual Basic because run-time errors seem to be taken less care of than program/system crashes, happening more often.

Your take; I don't want to start a flame/fanboy war.

SLumpED does the job.

deathbringer said:
And the various MUS2MIDI programs can be used by dragging a MUS into them, and out pops a MIDI

Hmm, good idea... but only Jim Flynn's worked for me (I didn't try the first one, though I doubt it'd be any different from the ones that failed).

printz said:

Since it constantly requires a VBRUN file or whatever and it's unobvious where to look, I find it more an effort to get it to run...

As deathbringer says, just Google it. The same applies to any .dll file that Windows ever tells you is missing; chances are high that at least one website will have it available for download.

(If you're unsure what to do with the file once you've downloaded it, it goes in the /system32 subdirectory of the main Windows directory (typically either /windows or /winnt).

NiGHTMARE said:

(If you're unsure what to do with the file once you've downloaded it, it goes in the /system32 subdirectory of the main Windows directory (typically either /windows or /winnt).

I know, thanks. I'm now with DeepSEA though, and I'd suggest anyone interested to have a copy before it's kinda late. Though as far as map editing and off-topic mentioning goes, Doombuilder owns.