Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Do you know about any good Doom1 megawads?

I have always liked the Doom1 megawads, like those that replace episodes, do you know about any good ones? People don't seem to map for Doom1 anymore.

ChrisK (12 levels)
Crusades (9 levels)
Dawn of the Dead (9 levels)
Death Tormention (9 levels)
Death Tormention 2 (9 levels)
Death Tormention 3 (9 levels)
Doom Revisited (22 levels)
The Evil Unleashed (9 levels)
Fava Beans (9 levels)
Final KILLME (27 levels)
Nuke Mine (9 levels)
The Parallel Dimension (9 levels)
Phobos Revisited (9 levels)
Redemption (9 levels)
Simply Phobos (10 levels)
Slaughter Until Death (9 levels)
Vengeance (36 levels)

I'm rather fond of ravage's Mapgame (mg.wad), but I can't find it in the archives. I'm not sure it was ever officially released.

Heroes IThis is a compilation, not an original set, but plays well as a unit, but hey, it's still a 36-level Doom 1 megawad, and these are rare.
The Serenity series. It may be old and not that perfect, but together they make 24 levels, so it can be called a three-episode megawad.
Cleimos episode. It's not a megawad, but it precedes Cleimos 2, a megawad. And I think it's worth playing.

I'd like to see more Doom 1 megawads, too. With Doom 1 the designers can exploit intermission maps and finales to neat effects, and edit more levels and secret levels. Doom 2 has only one intermission background, and that cast finale lacking its own music. Brand new monsters and such things can be constructed under vanilla Doom 1, but much fewer under vanilla Doom 2. Doom 1 has a slightly nicer interface -- the player chooses episodes from the GUI, not only from the command-line. Not everyone likes mowing through chaingunners, archies and revs. :) My opinion is that full Doom 1 editing can surpass Doom 2, especially for vanilla.

Erp said:
The Lost Episodes, very old school doom with no secret levels, but fun IMO.

If I'm not mistaken, the first link NiGHTMARE gave includes the better levels found in The Lost Episodes.

i was going to say eternity.
i love that episode.
the cathedral map is still one of my favorites of the early years.

serenity was ok but had just a few too many hokey moments (even for 1994 standards) that made it, in some ways, not nearly as good as other wads released during that time --
and
infinity tried too hard to match the greatness of eternity.
it had some good moments, but it managed to be eclipsed by certain other wads released that year, the least of which was obituary.

After clearing some things up, you can check out Ricrob's place for some good Doom, Doom 2 and other picks.

Invade1 & Invade2
1 level each but the best Doom1 maps I can recall ever having played since the original. Super classics :D

printz said:

Heroes IThis is a compilation, not an original set, but plays well as a unit, but hey, it's still a 36-level Doom 1 megawad, and these are rare.

Yes, it is pretty good. It's worth mentioning that it is not purely a compilation, as some of the maps were tweaked by the compiler, generally with the effect of making them play better, or so that they work as ExM8 levels. Never_Again made a nice demopack, in case you want to experience them the easy way.

I think most of the big ones (megawads and episodes) have already been mentioned in this thread. My list here includes a few episodes for Doom1, with brief comments, and a few are mentioned in other posts in the thread.

Vegeta said:

KDIZD ;-)

100% in agreement, I've never played a better mod in a LONG time! It works good with the Doom 3 weapons mod too.