Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom2day

Best game of all time in your opinion

Which franchise would your game fit in?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which franchise would your game fit in?

• Doom/Doom2/Final Doom.....
    • Legend Of Zelda Series
    • Super Mario _______ Series (Includes the weird sports ones)
    • OTHER

Tango said:

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Oh, COME ON!!! No oldschool Castlevania? Bleh.

Tango said:

Shadow Warrior.

Amazing game haha. But don't forget another BUILD-Engine classic, Blood.

Nick Perrin said:

Oh, COME ON!!! No oldschool Castlevania? Bleh.

Eh, I played Castlevania I and II for no more than 5 minutes years ago, and while I liked III, I haven't played past the first level. Nothing is better than SotN, though. :P

Tango said:

Eh, I played Castlevania I and II for no more than 5 minutes years ago, and while I liked III, I haven't played past the first level. Nothing is better than SotN, though. :P

Have you played Rondo of Blood for the Turbografx/PC Engine? Probably the most playable and fun oldschool-type Castlevania ever. I don't really like I and II much either. III is a classic on the NES though. And yes I agree that SoTN is a great game, I'm not sure which of the series I like best yet though....

Nope, haven't played Rondo of Blood, but I'll make sure I get a hold of the rom soon. :P

edit: Okay I found it, and yes that is one of the greatest Castlevania games ever.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Ellmo's counting adventure, why isn't that on the list?

It's too good to be on the list with shitty games like Doom.

Shadow Dweller said:

-Halo

die

Deus Ex was an awesome game and made me interested in conspiratorial type things and rekindled my Sci-fi interest. It is the epitome of sci-fi, dystopia, cyberpunk, world conspiracy, superspy etc. Just the whole travelling around the world, discovering a humongous conspiracy in a futuristic, dark world as a cyborg with really cool music feels so frickin cool.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is one of the best games ever. It has a Star Wars theme but not in a "lol okay we're in the Star Wars universe doing stuff" way. It actually felt like it could be Star Wars and not just a game that ties into Star Wars due to merchandising and lack of creativity. Plus, like a lot of old LucasArts games, it had real life cutscenes, something that I miss a lot in games. It also had the modern implementations of the Force and lightsabers which are pretty much standard now in any new Star Wars game. It had a light side and dark side and a good story that was fun but not intrusive and it had alternate endings and alternate cutscenes near the middle of the game. It had fun bosses, it had fun levels and it had atmosphere. It had cool weapons too. Everything about the game was fun and felt very atmospheric and Star Wars-like. It also was still in the era of games where you began shooting right away and there wasn't a lot of in-game BS. The story was fun but really stayed in between levels. No NPCs that you had to talk to for whatever reason, just NPCs that you could kill to turn to the darkside.

Also Doom, because the simplicity and the fun atmosphere of it made it one of the most memorable games ever, not to mention the standards it set and the ideas it implemented first.

In my opinion, the best games are:

-Space Quest series (especially I, III, and IV)
-Dopewars
-Rise of the Triad
-Lode Runner (most ports -- especially the Win95 ones)
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Scorched Earth
-Galaga
-SimCity 2000
-Jetpack
-Leisure Suit Larry series
-Tetris
-Quake
-Doom

I wish to update my list. Sorry that these in no order they are comming off the top of my head.

Got a feeling I'm missing some games but oh well, I'll edit this if anything comes to mind.

-Doom Series
-Wolfenstine 3-D (Jaguar)
-SMB 1-3
-Super Mario 64
-King of the Monsters 2
-Alien Vs Predator (Arcade)
-Final Fight 1
-Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat Series
-Diablo 1 & 2
-Warcraft 2 & 3
-Starcraft
-Total Annihilation Kingdoms: The Iron Plague
-Super Smash Bros Series
-Metal Slug Series
-Alien Hominid
-Command & Conquer Series (Mainly the Red Alerts)
-God of War 1 & 2
-The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
-Splatterhouse 2 & 3
-Ghostbusters (Genesis)

I'm gonna say series as well.

Doom series (again, obviously)
Mechwarrior
Mechcommander
Dungeon Master
Warcraft
Diablo
Thief (genre all on its own)
Severance: Blade of Darkness (best single game -- shame it hasn't transferred to XP well)

Honourable mentions go to:
Aliens v Predator
Quake (though it completely lacks any sort of following story which is annoying for a series)
Wolfenstein
Jedi Knight
Total Annihilation ('cos it was so damn funny and probably the first ever RTS I played)
Myth (come on has there been any game that is CLOSE to myth's style recently?)

Doom Marine said:

Best game of all time? Half Life 2 owns.

kudos!

it's always hard to make a list like this.
here's some of mine anyway:

Doom
Morrowind
Super Mario Bros 3
Phantasy Star IV
Landstalker
Super Metroid
Final Fantasy VII

Deus Ex
Shenmue
Castlevania: SOTN
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
Knights of the Old Republic

Monkeyshines! (the original deathmatch)

In no particular order:

Spiderweb Software:
~Avernum
~Geneforge
~Lost Souls

Bungie Software:
~Marathon

ID:
~Doom

Ambrosia Software:
~Cythera

Garage Games, Inc.:
~Zap!

I can't really think of any others right now. I used to play shitloads of video games by the dozen, and these days I don't play them much. I wonder what happened.

BoldEnglishman said:

Severance: Blade of Darkness (best single game -- shame it hasn't transferred to XP well)

Transferred? It runs fine on my XP machine, I'm glad to say. :D

Abysmal Seed said:

Spiderweb Software:
~Avernum
~Geneforge
~Lost Souls

Whoa. You are the first person I've encountered who's even heard of Spiderweb (without me telling them about it).

Sadly, I thought the Avernum series was garbage compared to Exile.

LoZ for me, but here are my top 5:

1. Doom (All cept 3 for some lag reason)
2. Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 (Complete Set)
3. Loz: Twilight Princess and A link to the Past
4. StarCraft with WarCraft 3 in ties.
5. Diablo 2 with Blazing Fire mod -Legal and must have v1.10-

Meh, depends on the genre. I like Japanese single-player RPGs and American FPS games.

For the RPG category, it's a tie between the Golden Sun series (on the GBA) and Final Fantasy VII (I got SO PISSED when my copy glitched up). Others are:

~Star Wars: KotOR comes in a close second.
~Star Ocean: the Second Story technically shouldn't be on this list (on the grounds of it's not really anything special), but it comes in third, simply because it was the first videogame I ever played, and so it holds a very special place in my heart.
~The Otogi series kicks ass. Anyone with an Xbox and anything not unlike self-respect needs to experience this. And no, in spite of the Japanese title, you do not have to import it. Go buy it, now. Raikoh commands you!

When it comes to FPS games, Quake II absolutely enthralls me. I couldn't tell you why; I can very easily think of better games to play (HLHLHL), but for some unknown reason Q2 simply grabs me by the 'nads and refuses to let go. It reminds me of this one girl... but that's a story for another day. Some of my other favorites are:

~Half-Life/Half-Life 2 (duh)
~Doom/Doom2
~Doom 3 (don't judge me)
~Unreal series/UT series (I likes teh exotic weaponz)
~Metroid Prime: Hunters (I like this one mostly 'cos I'm so damn good at it)

have any of you played Landstalker?
i'll be hated for this, for sure, but i feel it is better than any zelda i've played (haven't played majora's mask or twilight princess yet).
there's just so much coolness in it.
sure, the isometric view and 4 directions of control can be a bitch when it comes to jumping puzzles, but you get used to it and it provides for some rather nice secrets and mazes.

RoneKyakone said:

Sadly, I thought the Avernum series was garbage compared to Exile.

So true; Exile is just too many kinds of awesome for Avernum to handle...

Half Life 2
Doom
Double Dragon 2
Super Metroid
Metal Slug

My list goes on forever, but those are a few really good ones.

Deus Ex - Realtime

Deus Ex is basically System Shock 2 gameplay, but with less bugs, better story, and even better replay value

Alpha Centauri - turnbased

Basically Civilization 2, with a better backstory, improved gameplay, and even more replay value