Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AkalabethAngel

Doom collector's edition error problem

Yeah, I just registered to ask this question, but it wasn't one of those specified in the registration thing so it's okay :).

I recently bought the colelctor's edition, and started playing the levels. Thing is though, after like 30 seconds of playing Doom 1 (aka ultimate doom), my screen rotates 90 degrees counter clockwise. I then have to exit the game, and go to my control panel, display etcetera, to re-orientate the dang thing. Also my screen resolution stays at crappy levels (I have it run doom at 640 x 480 or whatever, and when I exit the program it stays that way, which is really annoiying).

Anyway, I tried doom2 instead, and played through . . . two levels fully I think, then on gauntlet, it rotated 90 clockwise. So like, what the hell? I'm thinking it could be my video card which is like some built-in motherboard thing that comes with Dell.

But even so, this is really wierd and annoying. Anyone else get this problem??

Weird. Never heard of that issue... but since Doom95 was coded a dozen years ago for Windows 95, strange things can happen to it on modern systems with nowadays' hardware.

You might want to try a community supported engine, like the registration thing suggested, as I doubt anyone will really know what's going on there.

Naked Snake said:
Download GZDoom.

Now that you mention it, the stickied thread should link to it instead of ZDoomGL (which is, from what I know, buggy and unsupported).

Perhaps you're hitting some sort of key combination that activates a shortcut to change the orientation of your monitor to portrait mode?

Like BS said, it's possible that some kind of keyboard combo is causing the display rotation. If you have an ATI card or integrated chip, this process is handled by a service called the "ATi hotkey poller". If you dont normally use keyboard combos to adjust your screen settings then you can try disabling this service to see if it fixes the problem by going to start > run > services.msc. Look for Ati hotkey poller in the list, select it, go to its properties and change the startup type to "manual". You can set it back to "automatic" if you decide you ever regularly need this service.

Nvidia drivers also have a hotkey menu somewhere but I dont know enough about disabling it.

Amaster said:

Like BS said, it's possible that some kind of keyboard combo is causing the display rotation. If you have an ATI card or integrated chip, this process is handled by a service called the "ATi hotkey poller". If you dont normally use keyboard combos to adjust your screen settings then you can try disabling this service to see if it fixes the problem by going to start > run > services.msc. Look for Ati hotkey poller in the list, select it, go to its properties and change the startup type to "manual". You can set it back to "automatic" if you decide you ever regularly need this service.

Nvidia drivers also have a hotkey menu somewhere but I dont know enough about disabling it.

Hmmn, yeah that sounds like it might be a possibility. Because I think I'm usually dodging and/or shooting at the time that it screws up. It never screws up when I'm just walking around.
I'll check it out, thanks.

Btw, what's this GZDoom that I've been referred to? Or is it just some more stable engine or something??

Its a new engine based on ZDoom.

Basically it fixes bugs, adds features, and generally makes Doom better (in most cases)

Okay, I figured it out. I didn't find it under the services ati thing, but when I went to the display window, where I put the screen back to normal orientation there was also some hot keys there along with the option to enable/disable it. Apparently ctrl+atl+arrow key makes it orientate a certain way.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Heh, I learned something new here. I didn't know newer systems had such a feature (pretty useful, though).

Actually I've got another problem now, which may be more common. The invisible demons, are anything but invisible. Instead of being darked out it's all a bunch of whitenoise. Same when I pick up the invisibility sphere. A cursory view of the board didn't reveal any error faqs, so if there's one with the answer can anyone point the way?

That's a Direct Draw issue in Doom95. There is a command to disable DD:

Doom95 -emulate

You may know how to use batch files, the command line, or the target line in a shortcut already, but write the above in a TXT file, then rename the file's extension to BAT, and put it in the folder that holds Doom95. Double click it; Doom95 will start without the visual glitch.

Naked Snake said:

Yeah, screw Doom 95. Download GZDoom.

Judging from information experience, that's a huge step. I'd recommend Eternity if Doom95 fails.

I haven't had any problems with doom1 except for the invisibility thing. Played through all of episode 1 last evening. It's interesting to play the original after playing Doom 3, and to see what they were going for despite the limited graphics, environments etcetera

Your experiencing the whole 'Screen 90 degree' problem, eh? I know this, it's because you are pressing these 3 buttons: Alt+Ctrl+Right Arrow key = 90 degree turn. A way to avoid this is to not press ctrl while strafing to the right or not to strafe while spinning 360 degrees to the right (pressing Ctrl and the Right Arrow key) and HELL NO! It's not because of Doom95 for which this problem happens, it's because of what I just explained, and yes, there are bugs in Doom95 that make it a piece of shit.

AkalabethAngel said:

Actually I've got another problem now, which may be more common. The invisible demons, are anything but invisible. Instead of being darked out it's all a bunch of whitenoise. Same when I pick up the invisibility sphere. A cursory view of the board didn't reveal any error faqs, so if there's one with the answer can anyone point the way?

Blame Doom95, it's bothersome shit low grade graphics to blame for Invisibility. Ports suggested to try are:

1. SkullTag (has Multiplayer for player killing)
2. ZDoom.
3. Eternity.
4. GzDoom (Just better graphics any way -_-;)
5. Chocolate Doom.

Hey guys, I did the .bat file with -emulate in it and everything was fixed perfectly. The game itself hasn't been giving me any problems, not sure what all these bugs people keep taling about are. The only bug I've encountered is a rising floor failed to squish me completely. That was a bit odd, but beyond that.

Also odd is that some levels seem to allow me to finish them without exploring all the areas, which is something I remember differently. Not too many levels mind you, but a few. Notably the warehouse-type one in the second episode.

As a completely unrelated question, did anyone ever mod the spiderdemons into Doom 3? (the smaller spiders with the plasma guns). They were some of my favourite creatures, and I was dissapointed when the new spiders were some lame telepathic type and the scarey but very annoying skull spiders. I've found very few good Doom3 levels.

AkalabethAngel said:

The only bug I've encountered is a rising floor failed to squish me completely.

How do you mean? Did it move all the way up, at ceiling-8, but it didn't hurt you enough to kill you? Or di it stop too early? How much health and armor did you have? Because a health/armor-rich player is unlikely to be killed by a crushing floor, thereby staying there until the floor is lowered by someone else, or s/he idclevs or starts a new game.

Also odd is that some levels seem to allow me to finish them without exploring all the areas, which is something I remember differently. Not too many levels mind you, but a few. Notably the warehouse-type one in the second episode.

Levels in Doom 1 and 2 have been designed with optional areas in mind. What you probably did was stop caring for clearing up the whole level. Hardly a bug, unless I'm missing something. That warehouse is "Containment Area", isn't it?

As a completely unrelated question, did anyone ever mod the spiderdemons into Doom 3? (the smaller spiders with the plasma guns). They were some of my favourite creatures, and I was dissapointed when the new spiders were some lame telepathic type and the scarey but very annoying skull spiders. I've found very few good Doom3 levels.

I'm not very interested about Doom 3 at the moment, but I've known of a rather large mod called "Reca|| to He||". If it's still up, they're designing a Spiderdemon themselves, which, when I looked it up, resembled a Martian from the "Attack of the Martians" film, as someone said there. Here's the forum link where I found the possible Spiderdemon: http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10836&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=spiderdemon&start=0

AkalabethAngel said:
The only bug I've encountered is a rising floor failed to squish me completely. That was a bit odd, but beyond that.

At the end of a stony hall in Deimos Lab (E2M4), right? Yeah, while, as printz explained, that rising floor effect is imperfect (ceiling crushers, on the other hand, normally keep moving up and down till you're either dead or you've escaped), it's more a level design problem than an engine issue (on the contrary; some of the custom engines that people say fix things show a visual glitch in that area).

myk said:

At the end of a stony hall in Deimos Lab (E2M4), right? Yeah, while, as printz explained, that rising floor effect is imperfect (ceiling crushers, on the other hand, normally keep moving up and down till you're either dead or you've escaped), it's more a level design problem than an engine issue (on the contrary; some of the custom engines that people say fix things show a visual glitch in that area).

Might be it. There's one place with this little room that has like a few flasks and helmets in it, and once you enter a portion of the floor rises up to the cieling. If you go in, you have to hit a somewhat secret door to get out. I was pretty healthed up, so that's probably why. Actually, playing again on ultra violence it's quite easy, I'm usually able to keep up a good supply of health. Though I did run out of ammo on I think e2m4 or e2m5. When you go down this elevator into a circular room there's a bunch of cacodemos and barons with imps locked in these two small rooms. Until you climb up a spiral staircase and open up a second portion, which releases the imps/barons. Ran out of ammo on that one! Then ran back, remembered how to get the map, and appreciated my chainsaw as I tore through the defenders there for a couple boxes of bullets. The Flesh Consumed is something I've never played, and I heard its a real b*tch so I'll probably have more troubles on that one.

Actually, in basic Doom(2).exe, stopped crushing floors can only be escaped if someone else raises the ceiling (door or slow ceiling) above you until you have room. No way floors can be lowered when you're stuck there.

"Thy Flesh Consumed" is a bit more challenging than the rest of Doom 1, though there are a few breather and a few overrewarding levels. There are some levels I label as nearly perfect there.