Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RockstarRaccoon

3D models?

I just had an idea:
me and some others are woking on a bunch of 3D models for a game, and I thought we might as well do a few to get the hang of it. so then I noticed: FreeDoom dosn't have any MD2 models of it's own.

I know it's easy to just use the MD2s from regular doom (if you play with 3D models in a Port) but still, they have an Imp and not a Basilisk, or a Cacodaemon instead of a CacoCrab... I thought it might be enjoyable practice to do a few and release them to you guys...

would anyone appreciate it? I'd start as soon as the new equipment gets here. *broke his old stuff... >..<*

If you are creating them from scratch, then good Cyberdemon and ArchVile replacements would definitely be nice thing for FreeDOOM.

A question to other FreeDoomers: how legal/moral would it be to use an existing MD2 model and simply create a new skin for it? Or would it look shitty no matter how good the new skin was?

Clarification: I mean make a new skin and then create sprites from that skin+model combo.

Ajapted said:
A question to other FreeDoomers: how legal/moral would it be to use an existing MD2 model and simply create a new skin for it?

If the model can be included with the Freedoom distribution, it'd probably be alright. (I suppose it could be if it were BSD or some other permissive license like "do whatever you want with this".) Otherwise, anyone wanting to use the new skin with the existing model would have to track two different sources, which if the model artist is still working on the model, could get out of sync...

cchristianPunckgzsor said:
would anyone appreciate it?

New material is always good. Models will probably have to be done eventually, and since the sprite-based art seems to be stablizing into a slimy-creature-based set, someone may as well start now.

CODOR said:

If the model can be included with the Freedoom distribution, it'd probably be alright.

I should clarify: I meant make a new skin and then create sprites from that skin+model combo.

no, as you can see from the archvile and shotgun, any new 3d model getting sprited results in unavoidable uglyness

Ajapted said:
I should clarify: I meant make a new skin and then create sprites from that skin+model combo.

Ah, I misunderstood...

Now I'm not so sure. Would that still count as a derivative work, being based on both the model and the skin?

Yes.

I'd rather not take stuff made for doom that's not under such appropriate license then painting some flowers all over it. Not only is it ugly, but it's also morally wrong.

What's wrong with creating assets from scratch?

Yes, I agree with what Leileileileiooo said! Are we not people with computers? can we not use our own talent to make our own models? I ask you! I am not a clod of dirt! Poor augustus! I knew him well! *falls over from being high*