Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How can i change a midi into a wav or mp3?

The most straightforward way is to record the output of your soundcard while playing the MIDI, or use a software synth like timidity that can output as a .wav

I tried that before answering, but just setting the output as "Nullsoft Directdisk plugin" just doesn't do the job, for MIDIs. It DOES however work for .MOD, .S3M and even for AdPlug.

How about the opposite, then? Replacing wavs to midis could be done by scanning the file for instruments which play on that machine through midis. Though that becomes driver dependent.

printz said:

How about the opposite, then? Replacing wavs to midis could be done by scanning the file for instruments which play on that machine through midis. Though that becomes driver dependent.

When you get a specialization in digital signal processing that does just that, and you manage to make out even a 4-instrument track (not even speaking about a professionally mixed commercial track with literally tenths of simultaneous sounds and effects)without barfing, then you will revolutionize the music industry.

There are some converters, but they are only good for guessing the pitch of a single note hummed or whistled *very* slowly, and maybe guess the rhythm of something, but that's about it.

I'm not really specialized in anything, but such a program could, at least, record all possible M.I.D.I. instruments on that machine, and scan midis already transformed into wavs back into their original format. But actually this is only useful if someone rushingly sends you a fat Wav instead of what you prefer... :) Maybe with some effort I could try coding/programming this myself. But don't wait for anything!

As we all know, MIDI is not a sound, it's a musical score. It only posesses the information which instruments are played when, with what pitch, how loud et caetera.
WAVes, like any other digital sound (music file) is it's exact opposition - it holds the actual digitalized sound, which is in fact a result of "playing" the written musical score.

It's like you had a recipe for a pumpkin soup (restores full mana, must reamin sitting while eating), from which you can learn to make a pumpkin soup, thus the pumpkin soup is a result of "following" your recipe; yet if you already had a pumpkin soup, you wouldn't be able to tell it's exact recipe, would you?

A program that would convert sound back to it's musical score would have to guess almost all the time, what is being actually played.

The "can I convert WAVs to MIDIs" question has been beaten to death a 1000 of times so far.

Once and for all: doing it for ANY possible WAV of arbitrary complexity, is very hard. I'm talking robotic vision, speech recognition and artificial intelligence kind of hard, not "encode video in DivX" kind of hard.

Even if you could ease the task by scanning only WAVs generated by MIDIs and by providing the exact same samples that were used as MIDI instruments, it would still be extremely hard to do a perfect reverse conversion.

There are a few programs who attempt that, and can even "learn" new sounds (you don't even need to supply the original samples) but the success ratio is very low. As I said, don't expect anything more than e.g. a simple piano track with maybe a string, bass and a percussion track to be decently converted to something remotely close to the original.

In other words, MIDI -> WAV is a one way path.