Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

Barrels ain't fun

We all love Doom 2 map23: Barrels o' fun, don't we? Yeah, we all do love when good ideas get very poorly executed, and I dare to say - using barrels to vary gameplay and difficulty was an extremly fresh and good idea back then ('94).

So I was playing along with vanilla Doom specials, thinking how to achieve various interesting effects, and of course this also meant using VooDoo dolls, barrels, dummy sectors and a whole lot of them.
I thought about building a vanilla map, that would use barrels, VooDoos, Crushers and such to the extreme, and I had an idea:
- My new map will consist of few sections, each of which you have to finish within 60 seconds time, however the barrel-countdown is not your only problem. There are other barrel-traps hidden and waiting for you, crushers, and of course our old chaps - demons on your tail.

I'll do my best to get this map playable in a new (at least new for vanilla doom) fashion. Just wanted to drop a line here, in case anyone is interested in making a map like this (not neccesarily full of barrels, just with a different gameplay approach), if you are, or you just happen to have a few interesting ideas - go ahead.

There was a similar map in Dystopia3. Essentially you had to run a track, and make it through before the time went out and you mysteriously died.

I remember a map in one of the famous megawads (I really don't recall which one). There was a red "RUN!" made out of sectors at the beginning; but I plan my map to me more action-packed, not to say frustrating :P

I had an idea once of having some barrels blow up a bunch of monsters in an area, via crusher, before the player could reach that place. So that when they get there is looks like there are just some decorative corpses scattered around... until an Arch-vile comes in and starts raising them! Of course, it would have to use only types that have corpses as decoration, and probably not zombies so that the dropped ammo wouldn't give them away. Maybe even throw some corpses in that really are decorative to make it harder to tell which is which.

Don't know if such a thing has ever been done or not. It probably has, but I don't recall ever seeing it.

If you have the barrels do the work no problem. If you use a crusher on the monsters they will create ghosts when resurrected by the archie.

Ghosts will only show up in the ports that allow them or use doom2 compatibility levels.

Ghosts can be interesting or can be a real pain. They do look weird when they walk thru a wall to get to you. Good luck killing them unless you use rocket splash damage.

Yeah, I meant have the crusher hit the barrels, then the barrels kill the monsters.

Try dinner.wad which is very old, from 1994-1995 I think. It is an episode 2 replacement for doom 1.2. It has some pretty nice barrel traps in it in more than just 1 map. For me it's a huge nostalgy trip, one of the first add-ons I ever played for doom.